LegacyGT.com

Brembo reassembly bolts

So...I split/blasted/recoated/rebuilt a set of F/R Brembos a while back, partly because I'm a child who buys things he knows his car doesn't really need and partly because they were super scruffy and cheap. Been waiting to reassemble them since they're torque to yield fasteners, and (in theory) I have all the resources at work to size and make replacements that will yield similarly to the original bolts. However, car has spoken and it's going to be wanting brakes pretty soon. I figure I can use something that works for now, and go back later and put in different bolts down the road.

For those of you who have split and reassembled Brembo calipers, could ya post up what bolts you used (reused stock, bought some replacements from McMaster, etc) and how you chose to torque them? My inclination is to buy some McMaster bolts in the appropriate size, blue Loctite and torque to chart values, and then check it periodically. Curious what others have done, though.

Thanks!

Edited by awfulwaffle

I don't know the bolts involved with rebuilding the calipers themselves, but the two (per caliper) that bolt to the chassis are M10 x 1.5mm pitch x 30 mm for the rear pair. I used a socket head to help with more clearance.

If you have the old bolts it's actually not too hard to measure with a ruler. For example, a pitch of 1.5mm (1 thread per 1.5mm spacing) would equate to 2 threads per 3mm, or 6 threads every 9mm etc. M10 means 10mm diameter. You probably know all this already.

In JmP's sticky is a post about where to get bolts, may be that would help.

Or look in McMaster-Carr. Want the name of a contact there, I have them in my email here at work.

dnj.sales@mcmaster.com See if that email will work, I used to get to Mitch that way when I wanted price quotes. ;)

304,000miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Oh, don't loctite the bolts in place, you can thank me when you need to remove them.

I do put anti-seize compound on my caliper mount bolts.

304,000miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I reused the original bolts; though as you're aware, my car doesn't actually have an engine yet, so no validation other than static that they hold without leaking. Lock tight and torqued them, but I honestly couldn't tell you to what value anymore. I remember it being incredibly hard to find and from a questionable source at that.