LegacyGT.com

High Lift Garage Door Installed

• 4 weeks later...

Did not DIY and I am glad I went that route. My ceilings are nearly 14ft in the garage and dealing with that along with the weight of the springs looked very precarious. With two workers, the install also took a large part of the day. I couldn't imagine having a non-functioning garage door overnight or for an extended period so this was a no-brainer choice.

I didn't mention it before, but I opted for the upgraded high-cycle springs. There are two and each weighed a ton.

Regarding price, most people wouldn't need to replace the entire door as I did so keep that in mind. The total for the installation, door, springs, rails and garage door opener was nearly $4k.

Between the costs of the epoxy floor, garage cabinets and the new door system, I could have bought multiple lifts by now :(.

• 5 months later...
Just moved into our new home, with 3 garages. Want to have a lift installed but need to get this door conversion to happen first.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Just moved into our new home, with 3 garages. Want to have a lift installed but need to get this door conversion to happen first.

After having it for a while. I still recommend it to people for all garages, not just those for automotive enthusiasts/people planning to get a lift. The opener is super quiet and the door has been a nice addition regarding insulation and maintaining a more consistent garage temperature. I hope to remember to update this thread with my experience in the winter (getting a ceiling heater install soon).

get a fan to circulate the air. My air filtration unit on high pulls the hot air down to the lower levels. Garage still hovers around 38 or so inthe winter, but I can get into the mid 40's by circulation alone.

Once you shear off the first bolt head, your internal temp will make up the other 30 degrees.

heating a 30x50 by 20ft high space was crazy money. ymmv

Is that the opener in the upper left corner of the picture ?

Yessir. Liftmaster 8500w

Its a shaft style opener so its tucked out of the way and frees up space in the middle of the garage. The rails were also moved up to be right up against the ceiling which is why many get this combo done before a lift is installed.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the quote for an identical install, which is not too bad money wise. Problem is my garage ceiling end up being just 11 ft, and with the high rise door taking 8 inches minimum clearance It looks like I have only 10 ft left. I wanted to put Bend Pak 4 post lift to store Miata in the winter and have my LGT wagon park underneath. Miata is 4 ft high and LGT Wagon is about 5. That theoretically leaves me a foot for the lift panel itself and whatever clearance for Miata but puts it real close to the ceiling...

Will be asking BendPak for the clearance specs.

So I got the quote for an identical install, which is not too bad money wise. Problem is my garage ceiling end up being just 11 ft, and with the high rise door taking 8 inches minimum clearance It looks like I have only 10 ft left. I wanted to put Bend Pak 4 post lift to store Miata in the winter and have my LGT wagon park underneath. Miata is 4 ft high and LGT Wagon is about 5. That theoretically leaves me a foot for the lift panel itself and whatever clearance for Miata but puts it real close to the ceiling...

Will be asking BendPak for the clearance specs.

An 11ft ceiling still isn't bad and I have seen pictures online of lifts in 8 foot spaces. Benpak has resources online for the specs of their lifts. Did you see this spec sheet for the HD9?

https://www.bendpak.com/HD-9-Four-Post-Lift-5175861-BendPak.pdf

I got some numbers back from BendPak; they think it should work. I will have to do the math and see if this is something I can pursue. Would be nice.

I got some numbers back from BendPak; they think it should work. I will have to do the math and see if this is something I can pursue. Would be nice.

That was fast. I would be interested if you could update us on the process and how it goes. My current issue is not with the dealers but finding someone to do the pickup/install.

I had an earlier email thread with one of their representatives (Dona) already going and this was one of the questions she helped me resolve. I also looked at the specs on the website to get most complete picture for my particular situation.

Realistically I will likely push this to spring/summer of next year. We just moved into this new house and I have boxes everywhere - both old stuff and new furniture that requires assembly. I also want to get the epoxy /FlexMar for the floors in the garage and get some storage solution for it too - looking at FlexWall.

Workwise I need to get the large basement converted to office/entertainment area, currently working from dinning room. Not a good long term solution.

With all of the above, and Miata and LGT being able to sit in the dry garage in individual spots during the winter, dealing with lift is not going to be top priority. But I will update with any real development.

Interesting that you are having problems with finding installers for it. I am in the similar place with FlexMar - I even emailed the company itself asking for their preferred installer list but no response in more than 3 weeks.

I had an earlier email thread with one of their representatives (Dona) already going and this was one of the questions she helped me resolve. I also looked at the specs on the website to get most complete picture for my particular situation.

Realistically I will likely push this to spring/summer of next year. We just moved into this new house and I have boxes everywhere - both old stuff and new furniture that requires assembly. I also want to get the epoxy /FlexMar for the floors in the garage and get some storage solution for it too - looking at FlexWall.

Workwise I need to get the large basement converted to office/entertainment area, currently working from dinning room. Not a good long term solution.

With all of the above, and Miata and LGT being able to sit in the dry garage in individual spots during the winter, dealing with lift is not going to be top priority. But I will update with any real development.

Interesting that you are having problems with finding installers for it. I am in the similar place with FlexMar - I even emailed the company itself asking for their preferred installer list but no response in more than 3 weeks.

Congratulations on the new home. I understand completely the order of priorities and hope you do eventually get to do it.

I am not sure if its COVID related but yes, I am having a hard time finding people to get any work done.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a quote from a Boston based company that does the epoxy floors and garage furniture. The quote was 1K higher than my expected max amount. With that, they were the only company that responded even though I contacted several local companies via their web pages, Also, epoxy floors and furniture is the only business that they do. The process they described involves removing the top layer, even on new concrete, and putting primer on first. Overall he said it will be a 3 day project.

Despite the higher than expected maximum quote, I intend to follow with them. Likely will do it in the spring, just because he said Christmas is the cutoff time for any floor project and they are already booked almost to that point.

In the case of epoxy floor it's worth to be aware that normal concrete lets some moisture through from the ground below, so if you seal the surface it will keep the moisture below in the concrete. It's a good idea to check first so that you don't get unforseen problems including driving moisture into the walls. Concrete is like a hard sponge. Frost cracking is also a risk causing the epoxy to peel.

The epoxy surface can also suffer damage from metal feet of jacks, rocks in tires or studded tires so that's also something you might want to be aware about.

But epoxy floors can look good. So what I stated above is just conditions you need to be aware of so you don't get disappointed when it don't work out as expected.

453747.png

+1 to the epoxy floors. I am glad to hear you are getting it professionally done instead of doing it yourself.

I have beat my floors to hell, and yes, there will be some inevitable damage unless you take many precautions. Sometimes while working on a project you just want to get it done and don't spend much time keeping the floor safe. I will say that it is nice to just wipe up all stains without effort.

I also had my stairs covered and a portion of the foundation is that is also concrete that goes up about 3/4 feet along one wall. If you have something similar its something to think about.

Protip - if your garage is connected to your home, I would suggest taping off the door seams, from the inside to help reduce the amount of fumes coming into the house. It is strong and it does linger.

Seattle area contractors are booked out 6 months or more and rarely answer the phone anymore. Covid forced everyone home at which point projects that had been put off became priority.

Bendpak has a list of installers. You should be able to fold the lift & install costs together. I bought a Challenger 2 post from Napa and had the installation included in the price.

The diamond hone (making the floor ready for the epoxy) is an important and expensive step. Especially if the floor is old, as epoxy won't stick over oil. I was quoted $7500 three years ago for 1500sf. It was a 3 day job too.

Purely by accident (the just filled paint tray made such a nice display as it flipped off the ladder), I discovered wall primer works ok on the garage floor. A 5 gallon bucket covered the whole floor plus a couple of touch ups. Its really redneck but has lasted 4 years. When its gets really stained, I broom it vigorously and apply another coat. Putting the cars on dollies has reduced paint damage significantly while moving cars. ymmv

• 2 months later...

theflystyle, how wide is that door in the picture in the first post, is it 12 or 16Ft wide ?

While we're at it, how high is it too ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

theflystyle, how wide is that door in the picture in the first post, is it 12 or 16Ft wide ?

While we're at it, how high is it too ?

The door is 16ft wide and 8ft high. Total ceiling height is just around 14ft.

I will give an update while I am at it. I got a couple of quotes for an electric garage heater. This is basically a corner install with 220v from the breaker on the same wall. Nearly $1000 including inspection but not the actual heater. After enough cold winter nights, I can definitely tell the door helps with keeping the temperature up. Not sure if a heater is needed but it would make working in the winter in the garage better.

Edited by theflystyle

For a $1000, plus the heater, I think you can find a temporary heating system that would be a better option for less money as you don't need to always have heat in there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

For a $1000, plus the heater, I think you can find a temporary heating system that would be a better option for less money as you don't need to always have heat in there.

If anything, this makes me want to attempt the install, including wiring myself.

There are tube heaters that would definitely be able to do the job, but storing those and their fuel is not ideal.

Throw in I have yet to get a 4-post lift makes the heater a lower priority :(.