LegacyGT.com

Dealer stripped threads in Hub ?

dream-builder

Hi, hoping someone can help me here, my wife bought a brand new 2005 Subaru Legacy GT back in 2008, it has only ever been serviced at the our local dealer we bought the car from, took it in for a service and two new front tires last Thursday and got a call saying the front nearside hub has stripped a thread for the wheel bolt and it is a £305 repair to replace the nut! They said it was from corrosion and then told me the bolts appear to have stretched? Also stated that all the wheel bolts show this problem and that all the hubs will need a repair as the threads might strip and we can potentially have a wheel fall off whilst driving.

I have never ever heard of this problem with any car ever! I think that the wheel bolts have been over-torqued by the dealer. No one has ever had the wheels off except this very same dealer. I think they stripped the wheel bolt and hub thread and are trying to get me to pay for their mistake.

I found a hub studs on famaga and thinking of bringing my car back and trying to replace them by myself?

Is there anyone on here who has ever heard of this problem with the Subaru? Our car has 41000 miles on it and has never had a problem before. Our car is in immaculate condition, no rust or corrosion, has not been abused and has had full service history from new with the very same dealer we bought it from. This is the third set of front tires fitted to the car, so it has not had the wheels removed an excessive amount of times.

Any advice would be really appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Happened to my wifes 2015FXT. Tire shop called and said one stud was going to break. Mind you I had just swapped the tires and use a tq wrench. I told them to send it, snap the lug and I would change the lugs later. Took me 30 minutes a side and I now have brand new wheel studs.

The Subaru wheel studs are weak (compared to Nissan anyway), so they should be "greased". Not that ever do that. My old Nissans have no issues.

Took my BR to get the tyres replaced by Subaru workshop (bought tyres online, got it delivered there as they were closest), each wheel came back with a cross threaded stud. I had no issues removing and installing wheels, so the monkey in the workshop obviously stuffed up. They don't spin the wheel nut on properly and then ugga dugga the shit out of it.

But yeah, that price is absurd. Just throw in equivalent aftermarket studs in and away you go (if you can pull the brake rotors off, you can change the studs).

I'd also never take my car to a dealer unless I needed something scanned by their propriety scanning tool. Can't trust them to change an oil filter, or install a wheel properly.

For many years now, since about 2001 when I had to chase the threads on my 2000 Legacy GT wagon I have been putting anti-seize compound on every nut and bolt thread I put on these cars and every other car I work on.

Yes these cars are known for having issues with lug nut threads. Have a ski friend who's 05 Outback serviced at the Dealership had issues.

I also torque all the lug nuts to 80ftlbs.

Never have had an issue since I began using anti-seize.

I also agree, never take the car to the dealership unless its for a recall issue. So many independent shops will charge less and you can build a long term relationship with them. They will take good care of you. Just need to find a good shop, ask around to your co-workers and friends to find a good shop.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here