LegacyGT.com

spoiler or no spoiler?

Decay

First off... I am sooo excited as I have ordered my new Legacy. GT LTD 5eat, Satin Pearl White. No Options. It gets here on tuesday!! This is a great site as it has helped me invaluably in my purchase decision. I cannot decide whether or not I want a spoiler on it. I will be getting it without one, but I can always add it. My friends are split 50/50 on wether I should get it. What do you guys think? The factory spoiler kinda looks like the old accord spoiler, thats the reason i am kinda iffy on it. I really like the JDM STi low profile spoiler but imagine that it will be hard to find and hella expensive. (I just spent all my money on this car!) Please as much input as possible would be nice! This is not a performance issue for me - as I do not drive that hard. It is really alooks issue. Is it better to get the spoiler to make the car look sportier or better not to, bto keep the car looking more classy, sophisticated? thanks in advance. DK

I also am waiting on my Legacy Sedan(1 week so far...) and i opted for NO SPOILER. I think it makes it look classier w/o it. However, i love the look of the Sti lip spoiler. Its just enough to add that little curve while not going overboard...personally, i think the stock spoiler looks cheesy.

[quote name='Legacy05GT']I also am waiting on my Legacy Sedan(1 week so far...) and i opted for NO SPOILER. I think it makes it look classier w/o it. However, i love the look of the Sti lip spoiler. Its just enough to add that little curve while not going overboard...personally, i think the stock spoiler looks cheesy.[/quote] What he said :D. Except I am waiting longer than a week for my car. Hehehe.
-ben

Save the money and forget the spoiler. If you really want to get one, I suggest you wait at least 6 months and figure out what you really want and what best fits your car. In the meantime, just enjoy the car as it is and you won't have any spoiler decisions to regret. I suggest you post some pics on the different GT sedan spoiler options such as factory, STI, etc.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

I'd say dont worry about the spoiler. My car doesnt have it, and I wnjoy the clean lines od the rear decklid without the spoiler. Plus, like TeeLoo said, save the extra $400? for something else. The only decoration I could see for the rear end is a subtle lip spoiler, but thats just me. Good luck with your new car. I loved the satin white- what color interior did you get? Black or Tan? I always thought a white with a black interior is slick as hell. 8)

[quote name='tallguylehigh']what color interior did you get? Black or Tan?[/quote] Not to answer for Decay but I'm pretty certain that CDM only gets black perforated leather in the GT limited offering.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

i went with no spoiler, although the factory one makes the car look more sporty, I would rather have the sti lip spoiler. So right now I will just rid without a spoiler, then if I feel like I need a spoiler I can allways get the STI one :)

The Canadian modlesl ahve no tan interior, we only get the choice of black, or black! Thanks for the advice, I think it echos what I really knew already. Factory Spoiler = unnessesary Sti lip spoiler = Slick Thanks

I have checked out a few C-West Carbon GT style wings for the rear. I have to say they look a bit out there on this car but not that far out that they dont suit. Big money too around AUD1000 to install and strengthen the boot lid too to avoid creasing. But a BIG no on the factory jobbie, looks a bit plain for mine, some cars they suit and others they dont. Its a bit like the bugeyed WRX without a spoiler, for mine, it just looks WRONG.

In my opinion, spoilers are the tail fins of the 90's. Some of the spoilers have all the aerodynamics of a brick. They look like they would function better as air brakes than to reduce lift. I was following a car with a spoiler on his unlatched trunk, even at 40 MPH, the trunk was still bouncing just as it did when the car was stopped. The spoiler did not appear to be adding any down force to the car at all. Has subaru done any aerodynamic testing on their spoilers to show they work? or are they just for show.

Hey DAP, For mine, I would say that Subaru on their Liberty/Legacy have not done any real testing on their reardeck spoilers other than to test for drag and lift. Meaning, the spoiler may be there primarily for looks but must not hinder the natural actions of the car. STi, well thats a whole different story!

• 2 weeks later...
Can one of you measure the width of the Leg sedan trunk? Maybe an M3 lip spoiler would fit. What do you guys think? The length of the m3 spoiler is 45 14/16 inches from tip to tip. [url]http://www.spoilerdepot.com/Catalog.asp?A=20&S=01180.jpg&idProduct=527&idMakeTemp=&idModelTemp=&idB=[/url] [url]http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext34.shtml[/url]

[quote name='SC GT']Can one of you measure the width of the Leg sedan trunk? Maybe an M3 lip spoiler would fit. What do you guys think? The length of the m3 spoiler is 45 14/16 inches from tip to tip. [url]http://www.spoilerdepot.com/Catalog.asp?A=20&S=01180.jpg&idProduct=527&idMakeTemp=&idModelTemp=&idB=[/url] [url]http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext34.shtml[/url][/quote] Why not just the STi lip spoiler?

480?? I just ran the conversion of 25200 yen to american dollars and it came out to be 228.00 dollars. And shipping won't be more then 100. So your looking at 350 at the most for one of these. I was originally thinking of getting the larger STI spoiler, but think this little lip one might be better. Adds just a little agressiveness to the car, but also keeps the sleak lines a little more. Plus I think you have to drill for that other STI lip (not sure though), and you also have to wire up the 3rd brake light in it.

[quote name='kanoswrx']480?? I just ran the conversion of 25200 yen to american dollars and it came out to be 228.00 dollars. And shipping won't be more then 100. So your looking at 350 at the most for one of these. I was originally thinking of getting the larger STI spoiler, but think this little lip one might be better. Adds just a little agressiveness to the car, but also keeps the sleak lines a little more. Plus I think you have to drill for that other STI lip (not sure though), and you also have to wire up the 3rd brake light in it.[/quote] Oh, so this one is different from the other one? It may actually be cheaper then....

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='kanoswrx']480?? I just ran the conversion of 25200 yen to american dollars and it came out to be 228.00 dollars. And shipping won't be more then 100. So your looking at 350 at the most for one of these. I was originally thinking of getting the larger STI spoiler, but think this little lip one might be better. Adds just a little agressiveness to the car, but also keeps the sleak lines a little more. Plus I think you have to drill for that other STI lip (not sure though), and you also have to wire up the 3rd brake light in it.[/quote] Oh, so this one is different from the other one? It may actually be cheaper then....[/quote] Yeah, this one is smaller, doesn't have the third brake light. Seems kind of like the Mines spoiler for the Impreza's.

[quote name='kanoswrx'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='kanoswrx']480?? I just ran the conversion of 25200 yen to american dollars and it came out to be 228.00 dollars. And shipping won't be more then 100. So your looking at 350 at the most for one of these. I was originally thinking of getting the larger STI spoiler, but think this little lip one might be better. Adds just a little agressiveness to the car, but also keeps the sleak lines a little more. Plus I think you have to drill for that other STI lip (not sure though), and you also have to wire up the 3rd brake light in it.[/quote] Oh, so this one is different from the other one? It may actually be cheaper then....[/quote] Yeah, this one is smaller, doesn't have the third brake light. Seems kind of like the Mines spoiler for the Impreza's.[/quote] Cool, I guess I thought it was the other one by mistake.... it does it nice though!

Archived