LegacyGT.com

Turbo and Oil

fehler1977

So I’m learning the hard way that these turbos on these legacies aren’t near as forgiving as the turbos on my 3500 Dodge turbodiesel. I noticed a bout a month ago my turbo is beginning to leak a little bit of oil around the band your votes. I really didn’t think much about it as I had already pulled the screens off of the banjo bolts and what not. Now the turbos burned up. Any idea how that happened? It is oil leaking around those fittings normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely not normal to be leaking oil around the turbo. It happens, but something you want to control as quickly as possible.

If the banjo bolts were removed it's a must to replace all the copper washers with new ones, and sometimes particularly old oil feed lines can break easily when moved around.

Good replacement turbos can be had for $500, but you'll want to know that the old one didn't send metal particulate through the rest of the motor/oil before throwing a new turbo in there and just sending it back out on the road.

Used motors can be had for a decent price, but there's obvious inherent risk there too.

Very good advice. Thank you. What I think happened is the car oil pump went into bypass mode while I was driving it last right before it blew. Why did Subaru make such a tiny filter for suck a bad ass car? Is there another aftermarket filter you can use that has more capacity?

New OEM short block is $1800 shipped I think, OEM master gasket set is $250 I think, heads can usually be reused after a machine shop looks them over. Oil cooler, oil pump, oil pan, oil pickup, turbo, inlet, service cam gears, ocv's, timing setup, other shit. It's $5k-$6k depending on a lot of things, but deals can be had too. There are great rebuild threads out there to be searched.

Used motors are out there for $3k and can be compression/leakdown tested.

Please double check my info, I may be out of date.

Edited by BoozeRS05

New OEM short block is $1800 shipped I think, OEM master gasket set is $250 I think, heads can usually be reused after a machine shop looks them over. Oil cooler, oil pump, oil pan, oil pickup, turbo, inlet, service cam gears, ocv's, timing setup, other shit. It's $5k-$6k depending on a lot of things, but deals can be had too. There are great rebuild threads out there to be searched.

Used motors are out there for $3k and can be compression/leakdown tested.

Please double check my info, I may be out of yes, that’s about what I thought. Many would argue that that is not even worth with the car is worth. But I would have to argue that well it seems like a lot of money it’s hardly a drop in the bucket compared to the fund that it is to drive these things. I I am a newcomer to the Subaru legacy’s, and I’m hooked. It seems like they’ve gotten progressively slower and slower over the years. At least the legacies have. You could still get a grand touring I see that can break six seconds and the 0 to 60, but that’s about it. From 2005 to 2008 look like they were consistently getting under Six seconds in a 0 to 60 time. But I love the car I’m gonna go ahead and invest the money because I can’t help myself. This is too much fun to drive