LegacyGT.com

Blown 5eat Trans?

ZachhcaZ

Well the day of reckoning has come for my wagon. After 222k on the original motor and transmission has finally gone.

Happened around a mile from home but was still somehow able to get it to drive the short distance home but it was not happy under any type of load. So based on the fact that I was able to get it to drive home I don't believe it to be a fully blown transmission.

From this video I took you can hear what sounds like hell clanging around while in any gear and occasionally it will grab and move but not more than a foot or so. Opinions on what this could be? Am I looking at replacing a transmission? My gut says to cut my losses part it out and look for another, but my curiosity wants to figure out what exactly is going inside there. The place I am in now isn't the best suited for working on it but it could be managed. Just looking for some insight as to what went wrong and where to start besides pulling the transmission.

Could be anything. I recently had a center diff partially blow up (stripped teeth off the gears of the center diff). I bought a used 5eat for 400 bucks and just swapped it out. My car had 200k on it and the used 5eat I picked up had around 110k.

Once you swap the unit, you could start tearing it down to see what exactly let go.