LegacyGT.com

Need speaker suggestions for 2005 Legacy.

anarchyx34

I'm planning out an upgrade on my '05 Legacy and I'm stuck on choosing a set of front speakers. Originally I was going to go with a set of NVX VSP65's since that's what I had on my last car and I absolutely loved them, but they have a 2.5" mounting depth which I'm learning might be a problem. They do include spaces which appear to be about 1/4 inch which I'm guessing won't be enough. I'm looking for alternatives, right now I'm suffering from fatigue due to too many choices. So far the ones I'm seeing with a sub 2" mounting depth are:

Infinity Reference REF-6532ex

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R6532EM/Infinity-Reference-REF-6532ex.html?tp=105details-tab

Focal Integration ISC 165

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091ISC165/Focal-Integration-ISC-165.html

and

Kicker 46CSC654

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CC654/Kicker-46CSC654.html?tp=105

I'm trying to stay under $100. These will be powered by an external amp + double-din head unit so sensitivity isn't really a concern. I'm just trying to avoid something that has shrill highs. Also I'm going with coax because I don't like the stock tweeter location (I'll be unplugging it) and the imaging might actually improve with coax.

If I can get the 2.5" depth NVX's to work i'd really like to go with those. They had amazing detail and smooth highs. If it's going to be a hassle with DIY making spacers and then having them interfering with the door panels I'd rather use something else.

How did you like the Infinitys?

Incidentally I just installed my double-din and I'm running the stock speakers off the head unit and I'm surprised at how good they sound. Like I can't even believe they're the same speakers. The stock head unit really sucks! I'm excited to see how it sounds with a nice set being run by an amp.

Ooh wow those are thick spacers! How's the clearance between the speaker and the door panel?

Thank you for the info BTW. This is pretty damn helpful.

edit: one more question. How's the imaging with these and did you unplug the stock tweeters?

Edited by anarchyx34

Incidentally I just installed my double-din and I'm running the stock speakers off the head unit and I'm surprised at how good they sound. Like I can't even believe they're the same speakers. The stock head unit really sucks! I'm excited to see how it sounds with a nice set being run by an amp.

People like to trash the stockers, but they are actually pretty good for what they are. They can hit pretty low and do not require a lot of power (high sensitivity with a pretty good Xmax IMO). But you cannot feed them too much juice though. Although I can give them 75-90W RMS (with a high pass filter on) and they do just fine. They're even too loud.