LegacyGT.com

Subaru Map Updates - FRUSTRATING

2017 Subaru Legacy Premium

Does anyone have any comforting words for the Failure known as Subaru Maps?

We've just had a map update completed and the maps don't show streets that have existed for over a year. The whole Subaru StarLink System seems to be a waste of time.

Are there any class-actions or are we just accepting of this? :rolleyes:

Happy Holidays.

I actually enjoy the Subaru nav on my 2016. If I'm going somewhere over 30 mins away and need navigation, I usually use the Subaru nav. The two shortcomings to me are that it's place of interest search is hit or miss, and the ETA never learns and takes into consideration if you travel faster than the speed limit.

For shorter trips I use Google maps as it's easier to enter a destination on there and it won't use much data since the trip is short. I'll also use Google maps if I have reason to believe traffic will be a big factor.

I think we're living in a time where if someone doesn't like the navigation provided by the car, they don't mind using their phone.

I have never encountered any streets missing when going to new places. I'm sure some areas are mapped better than other depending on location/population, but I would just reinstall the map update on your computer since it is quite easy and quick to do to make sure everything loaded correctly.

I actually like how the ETA is calculated on the GPS since it is a good "you won't get here later than x:xx." I have found it nearly impossible to meet the estimated ETA with Google maps unless I am going at least 5 mph over the speed limit the entire trip.

I normally set up both so I know the range of time I will arrive somewhere, using Google as an aggressive estimate and the head unit as a conservative one.