LegacyGT.com

MI: Front LSD for 5MT

awfulwaffle

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
All USDM 5MTs came with Open Diffs. Any front LSD that fits the 5mt will be JDM or aftermarket.

Bet bet, OP, is to just import one, or buy from a reputable gearbox shop like rallispec.com

Yeah I came to that conclusion, but figured it was worth checking. There does appear to be one of the front LSD 5mts currently available from an importer...

Yeah I came to that conclusion, but figured it was worth checking. There does appear to be one of the front LSD 5mts currently available from an importer...

make sure the FD on that box matches the rear diff you plan to use with it. IIRC, most of the 5mts that had a FLSD in them were 4.44, but the USDM 5mt is a 4.11 for the 05-06 model.

When i did my FLSD upgrade a while back, i bought new from rallispec and had it installed when my 5mt was being rebuilt.

make sure the FD on that box matches the rear diff you plan to use with it. IIRC, most of the 5mts that had a FLSD in them were 4.44, but the USDM 5mt is a 4.11 for the 05-06 model.

When i did my FLSD upgrade a while back, i bought new from rallispec and had it installed when my 5mt was being rebuilt.

rebuilding a 5mt instead of upgrading to 6mt? curious why?

So the understanding I had was that the ring gears are interchangeable, which assumes the pinion is cut the same between the 4.444 and 4.111. Never verified this, though. Do you have any evidence whether or not that's the case?

That said, the box I found is one of the two 4.111 units that came in the 01-03 JDM LGT.

no. the 4.11 ring and pinion are usually a matched set. you can't use a 4.44 ring and a 4.11 pinion or vice versa.

ok, that box should work. make sure it takes make axles. older suby 5mts had stubby axles sticking out of the trans.

Edited by whitetiger