LegacyGT.com

18 Limited - DOA Torque Converter Failure

The other problem I have been facing is that the vehicle is in New Jersey and I live in Delaware. According to the dealership loaner vehicles are for in-state purposes only. I have been forking out of my pocket for a rental vehicle which is getting to be very expensive.

I understand your frustration, but the standard Subaru warranty doesn't provide for a substitute vehicle at all; it's a courtesy.

The in-state limitation is usually due to insurance issues. It makes sense out west, where states are big, but such limits seem impractical in the northeast, where some states are really small. (For example, Coconino county, AZ is bigger than the entire State of New Jersey.)

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:Update 01/13/20 :

Picked up the car over the weekend, was told all the repairs where completed and road tested. However the vehicle now has the following:

-EyeSight Disabled

-RAB

-Check Engine Light

-Front Collision Avoidance light

-Lane Departure Light

And few other items including Active Grille Air Shutter" Stuck ON position.

The Subaru Service manager tells me this is a result of a previous incomplete

repairs from a minor front bumper tap by a school bus backing up. I drove the car

for 4 months with none of these issues, then after the engine cracks and torque converter I am experiencing all of these issues.

The car is now in my possession but got Subaru involved again and repair shop

as well. According to the repair shop and Geico they have informed me that this is not

a result of the minor bumper tap but a direct result of Subaru Manufacturing error. I am caught in the middle with a car that I feel unsafe and unreliable.

Can I ask any member here if they can post 3 clear images to this thread of the front of the car, a close up of the headlights, and side close up of the headlight. I will provide my car images for comparison of what I need to verify shortly.

I am trying to compare the spacing between the top of the headlight assembly where it meets the hood as well as

underneath it where it meets the bumper.

20200113_110212.thumb.jpg.acaea7c7b2829e474cf4c6cfc910119d.jpg

20200113_110401.thumb.jpg.33c08e022e25698bf9b579487f06dcb3.jpg

20200113_110234.thumb.jpg.f85217262322689131004eff57ddf683.jpg

Edited by Skyboss-alpha1

:Update 01/13/20 :

Picked up the car over the weekend, was told all the repairs where completed and road tested. However the vehicle now has the following:

-EyeSight Disabled

-RAB

-Check Engine Light

-Front Collision Avoidance light

-Lane Departure Light

And few other items including Active Grille Air Shutter" Stuck ON position.

The Subaru Service manager tells me this is a result of a previous incomplete

repairs from a minor front bumper tap by a school bus backing up. I drove the car

for 4 months with none of these issues, then after the engine cracks and torque converter I am experiencing all of these issues.

The car is now in my possession but got Subaru involved again and repair shop

as well. According to the repair shop and Geico they have informed me that this is not

a result of the minor bumper tap but a direct result of Subaru Manufacturing error. I am caught in the middle with a car that I feel unsafe and unreliable.

car came in with those lights on, tell them that they need to finish the repairs, possibility that the wiring harness that runs to the left of the engine was damaged, take it right back and tell them to fix it. Call SOA and tell them what happened. (be nice to all parties involved)

I have been going back and forth with Subaru they are taking their sweet time. In the meantime I guess that's another update the car is driving terribly it's making in a high-pitch sound between 40 to 60 miles an hour I'm only getting 20 miles to the gallon between 2nd and 3rd gear shift I guess it makes like jerking motion I'm mentally drained with all this.

Can I ask any member here if they can post 3 clear images to this thread of the front of the car, a close up of the headlights, and side close up of the headlight. I will provide my car images for comparison of what I need to verify shortly.

I am trying to compare the spacing between the top of the headlight assembly where it meets the hood as well as

underneath it where it meets the bumper.

The gap in your 2nd photo is clearly wrong. It looks like the bumper hasn’t been fitted correctly.

I can post a couple of photos but I wouldn’t like to go into bat with them. The reason being; the photos I have are for my previous Australian spec Japan built 2016 Liberty (Legacy) 3.6r & my Australian spec Japan built 2019 Outback 3.6R. My 2016 Liberty had quite a few differences to the 2018/19 models (headlights, fog lights, grille, bumper), so that wouldn't be a good comparison. But both my vehicles had/have perfectly even gaps.

Someone else may have photos of a US built 2018/19 Legacy.

I was under the impression that once the vehicle Hits 1 year of ownership the lemon Law does not apply I could be wrong.

Probably depends on the state. In NC, it is 2 years, 24k miles for instance.

So, I have learned to deal with issues, not personal one's car related..

The CVT is another story. A bit of history. :

2015 3.6 R Legacy.

Rear diff replaced at 21k.

Whole lotta stuff between 25k and the now 72k mileage.

More specifically CVT fluid leak, I noticed around 60k.

-Was diagnosed as leaking from the rear main seal, etc.

Warranty work was done at Wakefield Subaru in Massachusetts.

They basically removed the CVT and put it back in with new seals, etc.

Of course the shift linkage was messed up, always fun having to convince someone that it's not shifting right, click click.

Changed my oil 2 weeks ago and noticed the CVT is leaking again from the same place. I'm concerned with the level of fluid moving forward.. And if replacement of the CVT is a better route than turning my car into a Mr. Potato head.

Update Jan 20th 2020. Another Subaru dealership now in Delaware has the car because more issues , now they have ordered a new transmission according to the msg. I have a loaner vehicle , still upset because this vehicle will never be the same I'm afraid. Not sure why Subaru doesn't just buyback the car it's a lemon for sure. Oh on another note the 2020 outback what the heck is this engine shut off and start function at red lights it's annoying and all I see is wearing out a starter faster.

Its particularly annoying because a subaru engine is not exactly the smoothest of engines at idle, so when it shuts off you damn well know its off lol :D Shame there isnt an off switch in the info center.