LegacyGT.com

Road noise - sound deadening

Hi everyone,

I tried searching the site for this, but may not have used the correct keywords. I have a 2019 Legacy 3.6R and have had it about 10k miles (bought new in May). The car seems much noisier than other cars in terms of road noise - even coming from a 2011 Fusion. Has anyone had any luck using sound deadening material like Dynamat?

I have never used it before and searches online are typically coupled with music/speaker use cases. Has anyone put sound deadening in for road noise? I was thinking of doing the doors and trunk (easiest access). Any suggestions or recommendations?

Also, these factory tires after one minor snow fall... terrible traction on top of the usual loud whining noise. That could be the next thing to change.

Thanks for the help!

My 2019 3.6r is pretty quiet... after swapping the stock crap tires for Michelin AS3+ tires... YMMV.

There is a great site run by a guy names Don who just retired this year. Grab the info here before he retires the site: https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Check out the "3 steps to quiet a vehicle" and go into the rabbit hole as deep as you dare... I've used all of his products on multiple vehicles and highly recommend them, just have to source the materials yourself now that he doesn't sell directly anymore... the information on his site is still 100% valid and useful though.

I thought it was the weird window design that caused the rushing noise.

I think you might be closer to the mark here. I definitely think it's some sort of aerodynamic problem that causes "the rushing noise" ... whether it's the "window design" that you are talking about, or something else.

In my vehicle, I find that at street speeds it is pretty quiet, but going at higher speeds on the highway under certain circumstances, the "rushing noise" is very noticable .... it's not always there, but it seems to me that it only happens when the prevailing outside wind is coming from a certain direction. At first I thought maybe it was caused by the large protruding side mirrors, but I have tried retracting them whilst experiencing the "rushing wind noise" and it doesn't lessen the noise at all.

I will agree about the effect of tires though. My factory fitted Dunlop Sport Maxx are very noisy in my opinion, and at my next tire change I will be putting on Michelin Primacy 4's.

Brisvegas, aww man, was hoping people would disagree and say it was coming from the door skin/cavity. I am a former pro car audio hobbyist, and I don't see a ton of reason to install any deadening in this car, its "adequate" for a stock car. Except for the rushing sound and the loud rattle deep in the dashboard somewhere.

Brisvegas, aww man, was hoping people would disagree and say it was coming from the door skin/cavity. I am a former pro car audio hobbyist, and I don't see a ton of reason to install any deadening in this car, its "adequate" for a stock car. Except for the rushing sound and the loud rattle deep in the dashboard somewhere.

There is an interesting (to me) word that is not at all common here in Oz, but I think it's used more by you guys in "Merica" and that is "Pernickety." In regards to feeling the need to add sound deadening to these cars, I think it depends on an individual's level of "pernicketness" :lol:

My "rushing wind noise" is not apparent during normal street driving and only occurs at certain times at high speeds on the highway .... taking into account that I am very happy with the car otherwise ... I can live with that, and do not intend adding any deadening. ;)

Thanks everyone! I think a lot of the comments are spot-on. It is most noticeable to me at highway speeds (which is most of my daily commute). The car itself is essentially good/very good in every manner, but I just wish there was "more" in many instances - so close to a perfect all-around car for me. From comments, the sound deadening may bump up the comfort level some.

I will have to check on wheel well areas, but doing the doors and trunk with dynamat will be on the list, potentially a thicker RSB, and if I can get decent value out of the current tires - add in some better performers.

Thanks everyone!