LegacyGT.com

5 MT fluid, 2005 LGT

bluesuby

I'm looking for manual gearbox oil. Years ago I went with Redline 75-90 NS and was very happy. I tried Subaru's gear oil and found it to be not so good. I made the mistake of thinking all their gear oil was the highly praised Extra-S which was apparently only available in large drums or repackaged by bootleggers. Last I heard, it's not around anymore. On Amazon there's Redline 75-90 NS in gallon containers for a little over $60 with free shipping. When checking the "does this fit your car" inquiry, Amazon claims it's not for my car. I thought this oil worked great and the NS is formulated for cars like mine because it is better for the synchros. Is Amazon misguided on this? Or as Charlie Manson once said....is it getting cold or am I crazy?

Motul Gear 300 is the best stuff out there. It's not cheap, but neither is rebuilding the 5MT.

I bought 5qts the other week from a I think it was RM motorsports $91 shipped.

I'm not a big fan of buying from amazon, there to big.

I'll be home in a little while, I'll try and check back in the info.

You never get all the old stuff out of the tranny, put in 3qt's and check the level. Rear Diff takes .8qt

Hey, I remembered, went out to the shed...yeah no invoice with the bottles...came back in a thought, hey the CC will have it.

Rm European Auto Parts. $91.24 shipped for 5 qt's

I found this, That 105777 is the number you want.

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/105777-MFG1409-V299.aspx

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I never trust amazon when it comes to part fitment. I've had the same experience as you, RL 75-90NS has been my favorite gear oil by far. I found extra s to be mediocre, but a lot of people love it..

I'd trust red line when they say it's popular in Subaru transmissions, and the SOA part number they list in their product data sheet seems to come up as Subaru's warranty part number (soa635011) for their high performance 75w-90 gear oil.

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/75W90NS_GO_PROD_INFO.pdf

The original Extra-S was the best stuff, the new Subaru gear oil is not the same.

The Amsoil Sever-Gear is pretty good too. Though I seem to have not had the best luck using it.

Another hint, when you fill the tranny, do it slowly. or it comes back out the fill tube. I fill my suction gun and push it in slowly.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

The original Extra-S was the best stuff, the new Subaru gear oil is not the same.

The Amsoil Sever-Gear is pretty good too. Though I seem to have not had the best luck using it.

Another hint, when you fill the tranny, do it slowly. or it comes back out the fill tube. I fill my suction gun and push it in slowly.

Thanks for all the info. I never had the fill tube back up. The funnel with flex tubing I use is a tight fit down the tranny filler. I don't think there's room for anything to come back up....it just goes down so slowly. I rigged up a coat hanger with the funnel to have it hanging under the hood like a hospital IV.

AZP lists Motul for $18/litre. I'll be up there in a month or so. Maybe that's easiest.

Mike at AZP is the one who got me into Amsoils program.

I you see Mike tell him I'm still around and doing well and say Hi. The vf52 he sold me some 140,000 miles ago is still going strong.