LegacyGT.com

pdXammo's MT Wagon resto/build

Yup the Rotora calipers have had some less than favorable feedback over the years. Everything I remember reading was more about complaints about build quality and more importantly caliper flex under load due to design. This is why the price is so much better than a comparable StopTech, Brembo, etc. I used to think that a “big brake kit is a big brake kit” but after more research I found that was not the case. I remember seeing a video from Stoptech at their SEMA booth a few years back where they built a test rig in their booth to show how much stiffer their calipers were under load compared to other aftermarket calipers. That said a street car isn’t getting abused nearly as much as a track car. But yes, as others have mentioned, the GT calipers are actually quite good for OEM and definitely better than the painted WRX (red) ones that you see for sale out there

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup the Rotora calipers have had some less than favorable feedback over the years. Everything I remember reading was more about complaints about build quality and more importantly caliper flex under load due to design. This is why the price is so much better than a comparable StopTech, Brembo, etc. I used to think that a “big brake kit is a big brake kit” but after more research I found that was not the case. I remember seeing a video from Stoptech at their SEMA booth a few years back where they built a test rig in their booth to show how much stiffer their calipers were under load compared to other aftermarket calipers. That said a street car isn’t getting abused nearly as much as a track car. But yes, as others have mentioned, the GT calipers are actually quite good for OEM and definitely better than the painted WRX (red) ones that you see for sale out there

Fully ready to admit that it was primarily a looks decision... If it works as well as stock I'll be fine with it. I'm in them right so no worries there.

That baby blue mettalic on rbp and gunmetal Works is going to be sick.

Tell me about your engine, please. I'm looking at that Blousch too.

IAG Stage 2 block. So just forged internals, stock heads/valves and cams with port and polish. The Dom1.5XT-R is their perfect turbo for a 2.5. My car is fricken perfect. Excellent blend of power, comfort, and drive ability.

Full build thread here

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/gexs-2005-rbp-wagon-218923.html

IAG Stage 2 block. So just forged internals, stock heads/valves and cams with port and polish. The Dom1.5XT-R is their perfect turbo for a 2.5. My car is fricken perfect. Excellent blend of power, comfort, and drive ability.

Full build thread here

This is how I was inclined to think but, IAG is pushing the Forced Performance Blue.. Theyre kinda pushing clised deck too but, I don't think thats needed at this power level really.

https://www.vividracing.com/rotora-brake-kits-and-brake-rotors-i-31.html

Brakes get... Confusing. I really wanted the wrx calipers because I think they look sweet but as many canyons as I have access too and the price means I'll be getting lgt brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leaves me unlikely to get in bed with either company really. I'm sure it was all rainbows and butterflies until Rotora pissed them off somehow

I guess I'll see how they work and then go from there. They sure look good though.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's what's new. Got frustrated after the rear seatback came that it was a different blue than the spec b stuff so all that's coming out and getting sold.

Going all the lighter blue JDM stuff and the world rally edition seats here.

Got the rear garnish on but, trying to figure out how to interface with the JDM LED lights in the back up location.

20200129_195716.thumb.jpg.264f5bab9ad31d86cacc19ff56ab0946.jpg

20200104_182304.thumb.jpg.59cb995f68465c075cf194cf3d8453bf.jpg

20200201_140408.thumb.jpg.6d50bc4d94aeb2e076388c962ea460e2.jpg

Those don't look like the jdm reverse light to me?

I think the normal reverse light is straight forward but for the fog you need to run a wire all the way up front.

There's a diy on here that goes pretty in detail about it in between people setting up a group buy.

Those don't look like the jdm reverse light to me?

I think the normal reverse light is straight forward but for the fog you need to run a wire all the way up front.

There's a diy on here that goes pretty in detail about it in between people setting up a group buy.

I'm not following here? Fog? Right now I'm talking about the garnish lights which I am fairly sure are the back-up lights right?

I've got the funny looking bulbs but, no plug to stick in them the USDM one doesn't match. It would be super easy with the right plug but, I'm not sure where to start looking for that. Maybe I'll pull the bulb and start with looking for those being sold and go from there. I wish I had a gopher in Japan for all the little things like inner fender wells and bumper foam that never seem to be sold with the main items.

BTW. I was going to rebuild the Rotora calipers but, the guys there made an offer to trade in the entire brake system for new parts which although was more than I was wanting to spend still I just said **** it and skipped all the issues making that wrx kit work on the LGT. I'm certain I could have done it just fine but, I decided to easy button this one. I made some good trades and sold some parts recently I could justify it.

Sorry for the confusion. On the JDM reverse lights, which are indeed in the wagon garnish, the right side should (maybe not always) have a rear fog light. It's bright red leds and has a different look.

The usdm reverse lights should fit in the jdm wagon garnish, so if you're having problems with connectors you could go that route.

Maybe some pictures? There, afaik, should be a single bulb for the reverse lights. There could be something that I don't know about the jdm reverse lights.

Sweet on the brakes. So what did you end up with in the end? New rotora for the lgt? lgt brakes? I started looking at the red wrx brakes again because, like you, I like the closed piston look. But then saw the price and realized that's the cost of new suspension.

Sweet on the brakes. So what did you end up with in the end? New rotora for the lgt? lgt brakes? I started looking at the red wrx brakes again because, like you, I like the closed piston look. But then saw the price and realized that's the cost of new suspension.

brand new lgt baby blue rotora's w/two piece rotor all around. If nothing else it will look sick and this is an updated forged caliper so hopefully won'y flex like previous iterations.

Sorry for the confusion. On the JDM reverse lights, which are indeed in the wagon garnish, the right side should (maybe not always) have a rear fog light. It's bright red leds and has a different look.

The usdm reverse lights should fit in the jdm wagon garnish, so if you're having problems with connectors you could go that route.

Maybe some pictures? There, afaik, should be a single bulb for the reverse lights. There could be something that I don't know about the jdm reverse lights.

The lights definitely are different. the jdm garnish has a weird led bulb that is much bigger base than the usdm. I don't see any sign of the red led's but, I just saw one like that sell. perhaps I should have bought it for the led modules and the sounds like easy wiring interface. In any case that one had the pigtails attached so it would have been splicable. I may need to solder something up...

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest. I've been slowly replacing all of the interior trims with these carbon overlaid pieces. I needed black ones anyways so wth. I've got every plastic bit in the whole dash door and headliner in CF.

Got a care package from Rotora with a brand new Circut Breaker brake set front and rear with 2 piece slotted rotors.

I've learned WAY more than I wanted to about seats... I have those RHD world rally seats and had to swap everything around to make those Alcantara covers work in my car. I did it though and airbags and seat heaters and all work still. I had to take the lumbar support out of the JDM seat frame and put it in the USDM one as the holes in the covers are set up for RHD. So it's got lumbar support for both passenger and driver now.

I have the WR door panels inbound and I'll have to modify those to get the controls on the drivers side. These have 3 speaker holes on each door so I'm looking at 3 way door speaker sets right now. I really want the silk dome Morel's but, the midrange might be too big... I think I'll dynamat the shit out of everything while it's apart.

No one wanted to pay for my spec b struts so I said screw it and put them on my n/a wagon and I LOVE IT. It drives so nice now. I found some cheap takffs from a '15 Imprezza and put the spec b Conti's on too. I think it's dope.

I'm ordering the short block next week. I was going to assemble it myself but, that's kinda pricey stuff to learn on and although I have built many engines I'm not sure I want to cut my suby teeth on high dollar forged parts. I'll rebuild the engine that came out of that n/a wagon first then. do a stock turbo rebuild and then build my next engine for the turbo wagon. I'm already kind of thinking I should have gone front mount and rotated but, we'll see...

I think maybe my master plan is to buy a turbo wagon with an auto and daily it and keep this 6MT as a true sunny day and trailer queen. In which case I'll put the TMIC and Bloush 1.5xtr set up in it and do something radical for the MT. Who knows, I'm havlla fun with this right now though.

Oh, also, have some BC coils sitting at my Dad's house in Montana. I met a cool cat on FB that bought the SPT exhaust from the donor car and he didn't want the coilovers that came on his car. In effect we traded. He's in ND so I had my Dad meet him in Bismark when he had a Dr. app there. I'll collect the coils this spring when I go out to shoot prairie dogs. You don't have to like that btw. It's super fun. I can hit one at 400 yards in a decent cross wind on a consistent basis. If you like shooting it's amazing. Lot's of people get offended by the concept though.

1520970128_20200208_180327(1).thumb.jpg.370168365f01ec11449ffcda1ef0b16d.jpg

20200208_180701.thumb.jpg.7b27055c1ad4b04da71096ff6c821c42.jpg

20200210_084859.thumb.jpg.899a949b3ca5a57c0e4d5427da2256f8.jpg

20200209_183056.thumb.jpg.d91ebf7644cf0bb0eee8f061fbc70d4c.jpg

20200215_071626.thumb.jpg.d88b4feb897aaf4668926534eaaa437a.jpg

20200213_212710.thumb.jpg.0964b5c68d9498b314bff22348a8c5b6.jpg

Edited by pdXammo

I think maybe I should switch to non-spec b top hats on that wagon to get the front end down a touch. What do you think? Seems a better option than saggy butt spacers as I have all that stuff already and the top hats have value and utility.

Full build thread here

Gex's build is nicely done. He stopped by to terrorize the neighborhood awhile back as I was doubtful about blouch turbo in the race wagon. Having something similar would make traffic more manageable:)