LegacyGT.com

Jacks and lifts

So I want a lift in my garage but honestly it just won’t work. Ceilings are 9 feet so I found lifts that would fit but it almost seems pointless. By the time the roof is at max it will only be a few feet off the ground. So laying down you can’t reach anything and you can’t stand underneath either. I saw these things called quick jack and they seem pretty good. They lift the whole car with hydraulics about 21”. Seems nice. No more running to each side with the jack. Downside is that it costs 2/3 of what a small lift costs. I’d feel terrible spending that money and it isn’t even a true lift. Does anyone know of any other options for lifting that won’t break the bank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scissor lift. I have seen these in house garage with 8-9 foot ceiling. The issue I have seen with these, they do scratch the floor.

Should not be more then $2,100. I know some one picked one up very similar to the one in the link for $1,200.

https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMzEy/z/e~MAAOSwOeVZzrpb/$/Mobile-car-scissor-liftCAR-LIFT-MID-RISE-_57.jpg

We have the full 2 post lift's (Rotary) we pick those up for $2,500 used. We have about (5) in shop #1 and a Hunter wheel alignment rack, Shop #2 and shop#3 also has 1 each.

Edited by amusa

• 1 year later...
I have two friends with quick jacks, they both love em. Yes they don't get that high, but they work well and don't take up a ton of space.

I have kind of decided the quickjack 5000lbs is the way to go too. Looked at the Maxjack but think the quickjack will be enough for my needs...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have quickjack and it's good. The only issue is you can't go under the car from the sides-you have to go in from front or back, and that was a pain in the ass when I put the clutch in my Mustang because I wanted to take the transmission out and had to roll it out the front.

I was just gifted a brand new two-post BendPak from my late father in law. Now I need to build a garage to fit it!
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

They have portable vehicle lift and you have floor scissor lift. I have access to multiple shops (friends with the owner's) with multiple's of 2 post lift inside.

The floor scissors lift can scratch the flooring.

Edited by amusa

I have finally ordered a 7000lbs quickjack from Costco. It's currently on sale with SUV lifts and hangers.

Thought about a Maxjack after deciding I didn't want a 2 post lift permanently installed when I wasn't using it. Being 66y/o not sure how much I'd use the 9000lb 2 post lift. Besides my buddy 3 miles away has one.

We are in the process of having a 28x28 garage built. Have the plans, survey and quote, waiting for Title search issues (from late 1990's) to be cleared up.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

New toy showed up today.

I ordered the pinch weld blocks from Summit Racing.

The SUV attachments were part of the Costco deal. The FedEx driver forgot to drop off the 5th package in the shipment, that's the wall hangers, the tracking # shows 5 boxes, he only left 4. I'm sure that package will show up soon.

IMG_1534.JPG.d7630972c5d0e457c003aafce38c2dc3.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG.5cbb1f4ec33d8b073f4911daf51a1e11.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

Finally got around to playing today. Seems to be a decent height.

DSCN9206.thumb.JPG.2066c7d2e7cf841c6a33c362c1580e04.JPG

Edited by Max Capacity

• 5 weeks later...
Wow, I really like the usability of these after seeing them all over. I saw that Costco sale as well and almost ordered one, maybe the next special they have I'll rationalize getting one for summer and winter wheel swaps, some fluids changes and other maintenance.

Once they are under the car, raising the car is very easy. Once the garage is built I'll post photos of it too.

I think I'll leave the quickjacks together under the car for the summer, but move them out to the side during winter. The wagon will still outside all year, the Spec will get a spot in the garage. Of course her Outback will get a spot too.

• 2 weeks later...
Just ordered the "QUICKJACK BL-7000SLX 7,000 lbs. Capacity Portable Car Lift Bundle Package with 12pc adapter set and wall hangers" from HomeDepot. $1450.99 with free shipping. Long ship time but I am in no hurry, still have my Craftsman jack stands.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• 7 months later...

So here's my quickjacks with the caster kit I got from ESTY.

DSCN9766.thumb.JPG.d2af00256df1a1f739d0597149b2584c.JPG

DSCN9769.thumb.JPG.056e098f9a6a8bb665d60af10a67094a.JPG

Oh, yeah, this was the first time I've used the quickjacks since I put the dolly/casters on them. It was so EASY to push them around the floor. I even used the push broom to move them. The caster kit was $329 from ESTY. Looking around the WEB, I see one guy had found some stick on ball style rollers and used some bolt on casters on the rear end of the jacks. He had to drill holes in the quickjacks, but that shouldn't a big issue for most of us. I wonder how those stick rollers will hold up over time...

Do you have link for the caster kit? ETSY shows all kind of other non relevant stuff when I search for Quickjack caster kit...

Do you have link for the caster kit? ETSY shows all kind of other non relevant stuff when I search for Quickjack caster kit...

That's because it's not currently active (sold out)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/909190874/bracket-kit-with-wheels-only-for-quick

My quickjacks have small inline wheels on the rear end so I can roll them while holding up the front.

They came from the factory that way. I can see the appeal of the four casters and rolling it around without holding the weight.

Yeah, when I ordered mine, there were only a few kits left.

I think if you look in Mc Master-Carr you should be able to find some casters and rollers that might/should work.

Think about it for a while. Did you find that video where the guy drilled the holes for the casters and screwed them on the panel with the big lable ?

Yeah, when I ordered mine, there were only a few kits left.

I think if you look in Mc Master-Carr you should be able to find some casters and rollers that might/should work.

Think about it for a while. Did you find that video where the guy drilled the holes for the casters and screwed them on the panel with the big lable ?

Drilling through those side plates and attaching casters there may not be a bad idea either. Those are not load bearing nor are structural.

Mine has the rollers on one side too but the thing is heavy and it isn't particularly easy to grab the other side. They should have thought that through for a kit that's supposed to be somewhat mobile within the garage.

• 9 months later...
On 1/31/2022 at 12:23 PM, Max Capacity said:

So here's my quickjacks with the caster kit I got from ESTY.

DSCN9766.thumb.JPG.d2af00256df1a1f739d0597149b2584c.JPG

DSCN9769.thumb.JPG.056e098f9a6a8bb665d60af10a67094a.JPG

Oh, yeah, this was the first time I've used the quickjacks since I put the dolly/casters on them. It was so EASY to push them around the floor. I even used the push broom to move them. The caster kit was $329 from ESTY. Looking around the WEB, I see one guy had found some stick on ball style rollers and used some bolt on casters on the rear end of the jacks. He had to drill holes in the quickjacks, but that shouldn't a big issue for most of us. I wonder how those stick rollers will hold up over time...

How did I not come across this before? That said, those rollers would have been completely useless on my broken ashphalt driveway as it stands. However, when the Quickjacks get cleaned up and moved into the garage, that's a different story.

Just so I understand what I'm looking at, are those casters supporting the weight of the car when in use? If so, I can see why they might command a $329 USD price tag. If this is the case, does that mean you can move the car around when up on the jacks?

For my own purposes, I would love to be able to not have to carry the stupid things around as much (the rollers that came on the end of mine are nearly useless on all but the smoothest surfaces.) So, making any kind of little bracket with a caster on it would be great, and I don't even need it to be strong enough to support a car, just making them easier to roll into and out of place would be sufficient. Maybe something that flips down into place when the jacks are empty and need to be moved, but can be flipped up out of the way when in use, so they do not need to be able to support 5k lbs, or whatever my quickjacks are rated for, I forget at the moment.

Edited by KZJonny

Look at the second picture, you'll see the casters are not supporting anything, they are turned sideways.

If you look around, I think you could Fab up your own set of casters. Just get some angle iron from HD or Lowes and threaded rod.

Google search will show some options.

Just took more pictures for you, buddy.

DSCN0007.JPG

DSCN0008.JPG

DSCN0009.JPG

DSCN0010.JPG

DSCN0011.JPG

I recall seeing where someone bolted ball roller casters to the underside of those square bars next to these casters. Those square bars till up when the jack is used.

The only downside to my set-up is the jacks are wider by about 4" or a little more.

Here's the basic idea of the roller ball caster, just find ones that will carry/support the 80lbs or so.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-roller-ball-bearing-67060.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12172784578&campaignid=12172784578&utm_content=114847985937&adsetid=114847985937&product=67060&store=321&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsdKbBhDHARIsANJ6-jcWlrsYJ5rrEvJ0-tlmPDgqVvE2pJFPUxvwv-yon-jEoexXqOvaLxUaAqEOEALw_wcB

For that cost from HF, you might just want to buy four, double back tape them on, and try moving the lack around on a smooth surface. You could drill and tap holes to bolt them on later.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/1-inch-carbon-steel-main-ball-with-1-4-inch-stud-in-a-carbon-steel-housing?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsdKbBhDHARIsANJ6-jeN9NvoMXrKJ2y5TotYIBhQjZc3TOs-Anv-euFwrc0jtKtWRYcFWlcaAsu4EALw_wcB

https://www.google.com/search?q=roller+ball+casters&rlz=1C1OKWM_enUS906US906&sxsrf=ALiCzsatDGvkpRnFZ-vs4OPvAD_ANUYerA:1668630970729&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjzyJXixrP7AhWoFFkFHfsrCooQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1280&bih=881&dpr=1