LegacyGT.com

EJ20Y - which water pump?

Hello all - my first post on here, with a technical question.

We just acquired a 2003 Legacy Spec B from Japan (2005+ North American body style). Well-maintained, most things look very good, runs great, but it needs a timing belt replacement. The coolant is low, and I can smell coolant in that area after running the engine, so I expect that the water pump seal is going and weeping coolant.

The question is, does this car need the 3 nipple water pump? It's an EJ20Y with a five speed manual. I have been researching this online, but I have not been able to cut through the confusion. Does the car have an oil cooler or not? I want to order parts before pulling everything apart.

I suppose I can order both water pumps and send back the one I don't need, but it would be great to have clarity on this point.

Thank you for your help!

No oil cooler.

Easiest way is to chuck your chassis number into partsouq. Gives you diagrams with almost every part on the car.

The stock one for a facelift(probably the same for pre) JDM 20Y is X2111AA240

For my next build i grabbed this one as it has the cast impellor which flows better than the stamped alternative

21111AA026

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

No oil cooler.

Easiest way is to chuck your chassis number into partsouq. Gives you diagrams with almost every part on the car.

The stock one for a facelift(probably the same for pre) JDM 20Y is X2111AA240

For my next build i grabbed this one as it has the cast impellor which flows better than the stamped alternative

21111AA026

Just checked out partsouq. I hadn't heard of it. It's an amazing resource, and yes, you identified the correct part. Thanks for information!

The correct water pump for the EJ20Y is the "3 pipe" version. I used the Gates 328 timing belt kit. I hope this information helps someone in the future.

The old pump (OE) had evidence of coolant coming out of the weep hole. Bearings were good except for the small idler roller next to the tensioner.

I'm hoping for a good outcome with Gates kit. I do plan to change the belt and pump every 100 000 km, and give the bearings a careful listen every time I service the car. If the pump and bearings make it past 20 000 km, I expect they will perform fine.