LegacyGT.com

Led conversion

because it's cheaper/easier to build an all-inclusive system that fits the design of your particular car? Once the basic light sources and method of employing them was hashed out, designers have a ton of flexibility. Hard to imaging that manufacturability has a role in modern production... I mean, that's just silly.

In terms of youtube videos, very few videos out there that quantitatively compare the different systems in a non-subjective manner - usually it's fans of one particular system showing why theirs is the best and only possible solution, and that anyone even contemplating something else is just dumb... it's almost like if another system performs comparably to what they consider to be "the best" or "only" way to do something right, it's a personal insult to them... it's really pretty fascinating.

Not to mention most youtube reviews don't cover long term reliability but rather short term initial impressions.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That all plays pretty much to the point I was making initially: both HID and LED solutions perform very well if you buy quality parts, and VLEDs are the best LEDs I've ever encountered by a long margin (every Diode Dynamic bulb I've put in my car except for the rear plate light has burnt out quickly or broken in some other way). My VLED H7 Micros have been installed about a year and a half now and I've have had literally zero issues.

vleds are the best on the market hands down...HIDs are good as well as long as you buy quality and not cheap chinese shit. also, i have personally tried vleds, morimoto, diode dynamics, stark, coofix and lasfit leds in my legacy and even in my current car. VLEDS are the best of the best and i ran them in my legacy for well over 5 years without a SINGLE issue

I could not add the VLEDS Micro Evolutions into the cart on VLEDS website so I emailed therm. They came back and said the Evolutions were discontinued and recommended the Micro Extremes. Makes sense, since they are $50 more. :)

They are running a 15% off coupon at the moment that brings them down to just under $150.

Edit:

That was quick, they just updated the page and the Evolutions are no longer listed.

Edited by Falcor

Did you get a set of the rubber replacement covers for the back of the headlight, or is there already enough room in there for everything? Please post your impressions when you get them installed!

I've had the micro evolutions installed for over a year and a half now and love them. The low beams have room to spare in the stock dust caps, the high beams didn't fit. It looks like the extreme's might be a little bit shorter.

They (VLEDS) said they are coming out with a new version of the 9005, anyway, in the spring that will handle DRLs properly (and not be full brightness all the time) - I think others have promised the same before, so we'll have to wait and see!

They (VLEDS) said they are coming out with a new version of the 9005, anyway, in the spring that will handle DRLs properly (and not be full brightness all the time) - I think others have promised the same before, so we'll have to wait and see!

They very briefly had a model out last year that had a DRL module, but it was only on the site for a couple weeks and then was pulled. I emailed them and they said they pulled it for further development. Hopefully that's what this is, would love to run a variable DRL/Hi-beam.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of the Extremes since the Evolutions are no longer available. Which color do you guys recommend, 5k or 6k? Right now they have a 15% sale, but I'm wondering if they will have a better Black Friday sale. I just don't want to have to install them after the headlight housings are reinstalled.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of the Extremes since the Evolutions are no longer available. Which color do you guys recommend, 5k or 6k? Right now they have a 15% sale, but I'm wondering if they will have a better Black Friday sale. I just don't want to have to install them after the headlight housings are reinstalled.

Might be worth waiting till Black Friday. Their sale last year was 20% off site side, 25% off $150 or more, and 30% off $300 or more.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up, VLED's Black Friday sale started up. They only have one bulb for our cars now (5k and 6k), and the deal is not as good as the past. 15% off up to $200, then more off when you spend more. These Micro Extremes run $175 before the 15%, and about $148 after. I'm still trying to decide if I am going to get them. My only fear is blinding other drivers.

h7_evo_x_1.jpg

https://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/h7/micro-extreme-h7.html

Just a heads up, VLED's Black Friday sale started up. They only have one bulb for our cars now (5k and 6k), and the deal is not as good as the past. 15% off up to $200, then more off when you spend more. These Micro Extremes run $175 before the 15%, and about $148 after. I'm still trying to decide if I am going to get them. My only fear is blinding other drivers.

h7_evo_x_1.jpg

https://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/h7/micro-extreme-h7.html

It shouldn't blind other drivers, as long as the headlights are aimed properly (or unchanged if running the lights with OEM housing).

A couple of years ago I installed the Opt7 led bulbs in my '13 Legacy. The light output was nice and white and it lit up the road much better than the halogens. My only problem was when winter came and I had to drive 17 miles to work at night in the snow. The led's don't heat up and melt the snow off the headlights. I live in lower Westchester in NY and the streets are well lit so it was not too much of a problem but I can see it being a problem on streets with no street lights.

Maybe one day I will install the HID kit.

That would have been an option before I opened up the headlights last week. Now that they are sealed back up I'm never pulling them apart again. :lol:

:lol: understandable! That would have been a perfect time to do that, and maybe LED C-lights too!

I went ahead and ordered a set of the 5k Extremes. Only like 3 hours left of the sale, unless they let it pout over into Cyber Monday. I did a ton of research mainly trying to decide between the 5k and 6k. I want them to more match the 2019 Forester's LED's, and from what the rep at VLED's said, they are closer to 5k. We shall see. :)

Im one of the few who've had both types to compare.

I had a full projector retrofit HID kit from TRS, lasted 3 years until the cables disintegrated and subsequently rear ended someone breaking a headlight. I then switched to VLEDs micros a year and a half ago and honestly, i cannot tell the difference between my TRS retrofit HID kit and the VLED micro LEDs.

The only difference was the TRS kit was $330 before install and the VLED was $135.

Its RDRAM (HID) vs DDR (LED). RDRAM was the mainstay but the fact that LEDs are quickly becoming cheaper and better means HIDs will be obsolete sooner or later.

See below: The yellow is 4.5K HID, the white is VLED micro 5K LEDs.

Please note that the LED photo its raining AND the car is pointed slightly uphill so it gives the appearance of a bit of glare. Its 100% leveled properly

097c35a962f6b303ae7ab9d721680a6d.jpgf33a220200df834be521c0439388e57f.jpg

Edited by Golferdude1087