LegacyGT.com

7G Legacy Wheel/Tire Fitment

Tire diameter alone does not dictate ride comfort and handling. The 7th-generation Legacy has a significantly larger tire diameter than, say, the 5th-generation, and if you make the tire diameter larger while keeping the wheel size the same, the sidewall has to get bigger.

The stock 17" tire on the 2014 car was a 215/50R17. The 2020 car has a 225/55R17, which has a 17% taller sidewall than the older car. Even the 2020 car's 18" wheels have a 5% taller sidewall than the 2014 car's 17" wheels. Because of the sidewall difference, the 2014 Legacy 17" tire would feel firmer/harsher than the 2020 Legacy's 18" tire.

So, yes, going to larger-diameter wheels does mean a shorter tire sidewall, but what is "ideal" is going to depend on your starting point and what you are trying to achieve.

Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

less sidewall on a tire absolutely means harsher ride so on the same model of car going from a 17 to a 18 will definitely result in a ride that is not as complaint over rough road. To say otherwise is not being honest.

No where in my post did I say 5th compared to 7th gen (I compared a 16" on a 5th gen to a 17" on a 5th gen)

my 2010 outback rides much better than the 14 legacy over the same roads in terms of ride comfort, it has a much taller side wall 60 vs 50 with an extra 10mm of tread width. the 2010 suspension setup is the same as the 13-14 as did new struts and springs plus a 20mm rear bar. both cars ride on 17's

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

Wheels look great! Little drop and I'd say you have a very simple and clean setup!

I agree, but for now there's nothing out there to drop it with. The car hasn't come out in Japan yet, so there's nothing I can grab for the JDM parts bin at this point.

Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

Anything from a 2020 WRX or sti? Being that we're like Legos I wonder if they're similar. Or if the whole global platform throws that off

The suspensions are different. The rear is somewhat similar, but the front has a whole different sway bar setup -- the end link on the Legacy/Outback connects to the strut body, rather than the lower control arm like on the WRX/STI.

Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

• 2 months later...

I'm looking to get a set of new wheels on my Touring. I've never purchased new wheels and have been trying to read up on the limitations of the XT, but there's not much info out there.

I'm looking at getting a set Option Lab S716 18x9.5 +35 running 255/35/18 tires.

I'm concerned the width might be an issue here, but reading your post it seems that I shouldn't have issues.

Any thought on going this wide tho?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm looking at getting a set Option Lab S716 18x9.5 +35 running 255/35/18 tires.

You have at least two problems. The offset of that wheel is too low, and the tire size is way too small.

Your stock wheels are +55 offset. Your proposed new wheels are 2" wider, and stick out 20mm more. I don't think that's going to work; the tire will contact the fender at full compression. Oh, but also your proposed tire size is 7.1% shorter than stock. Your speedometer would be off by that much, your gearing is going to be wonky, the car is going to sit lower to the ground by almost an inch, and it'll just look strange. You need a taller tire; the closest 255 size would be a 255/45R18.

I'm concerned the width might be an issue here, but reading your post it seems that I shouldn't have issues.

I think you need to understand the numbers better before you try to bolt new wheels and tires to your car.

Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

I think you need to understand the numbers better before you try to bolt new wheels and tires to your car.

Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

It's why I'm asking, but thanks for your feedback...I don't know Jack about wheel and tire fitment.

However I did some more research, it's not rocket science [emoji6]

The offset I can't do anything about, I get it. I'll see how it looks on the car and if I don't like it, I won't get it.

When it comes to tire size, I feel a 245/45 will get me as close to stock measurements as possible. I think I'll be losing less than a 1/4 inch in diameter compared to the 225/50 oems.

That'll shrink the difference in size by under a few percents so gearing and speedometer readings aren't funky.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Edited by Zack Spec B

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...