LegacyGT.com

Codes after accident repair

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

My 2013 Legacy 3.6 was involved in a minor accident. My front passenger hit the rear drivers side of another vehicle. Some body damage, headlight, panel, strut was replaced, the rim was reconditioned. I just got an email from the body shop saying their are several codes on the car, which were not present prior to the repairs, even driving the car home from the accident and to the body shop.

They are saying there is a history code, OCV Solenoid Signal "A" Circuit. Also Camshaft Position Actuator Control Circuit Low Bank 1 and ECM failure.

I've been told they spoke with the insurance company and I would have to have the car inspected by a mechanic to see if it's related.

Thoughts on this? Possible battery issue or something more?? :spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:

My guess would be the battery, so disconnect it, make sure it's fully charged and then try again since disconnecting the battery would clear the codes.

But have them check that the grounding straps between engine and chassis are in place too, it's one of those things that can be missed when in a shop and that can give a cascade of codes among other things.

453747.png

My guess would be the battery, so disconnect it, make sure it's fully charged and then try again since disconnecting the battery would clear the codes.

But have them check that the grounding straps between engine and chassis are in place too, it's one of those things that can be missed when in a shop and that can give a cascade of codes among other things.

Thanks. I don't remember how old the battery is now and if I had replaced at some point. I have a charger/conditioner so I'll use that.

I was planning on checking everything myself once I picked up the car. Grounding strap, thank for that to check. I guess I should check the solenoid connections as well.

I have RR and another scanning app that I'll use to double check.

If I can't figure it out I'll call Subby Corp and have them help with inspection and other costs.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

My 2013 Legacy 3.6 was involved in a minor accident. My front passenger hit the rear drivers side of another vehicle. Some body damage, headlight, panel, strut was replaced, the rim was reconditioned. I just got an email from the body shop saying their are several codes on the car, which were not present prior to the repairs, even driving the car home from the accident and to the body shop.

They are saying there is a history code, OCV Solenoid Signal "A" Circuit. Also Camshaft Position Actuator Control Circuit Low Bank 1 and ECM failure.

I've been told they spoke with the insurance company and I would have to have the car inspected by a mechanic to see if it's related.

Thoughts on this? Possible battery issue or something more?? :spin::spin::spin::spin::spin:

Did the body shop do a prescan before repairs? If so, get a copy of it. It will help you prove related vrs not related to the accident. I would reset the system by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes. If the codes are immediately reset or pending, you have an issue.

If you do - Bank 1 is the (USDM) passenger side head if I'm not mistaken. Same side as the damage. As stated above check all the grounds, also check all the harness plugs all along the main harness.

If there is nothing obvious get it to Subaru for a diagnosis

Did the body shop do a prescan before repairs? If so, get a copy of it. It will help you prove related vrs not related to the accident. I would reset the system by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes. If the codes are immediately reset or pending, you have an issue.

If you do - Bank 1 is the (USDM) passenger side head if I'm not mistaken. Same side as the damage. As stated above check all the grounds, also check all the harness plugs all along the main harness.

If there is nothing obvious get it to Subaru for a diagnosis

Prescan prior to repairs. Thank you as I didn't think of that. I figured the bank 1 would be on the passenger side.

Thank you everyone!

No scan prior to the work being done as the insurance didn't want to pay for it.

I spoke to Subaru already and they will cover most if not all of the diagnostics and take it from there. I cleared the codes and I got the car home. CEL did pop up on the drive. Looks like camshaft is a perm code.

Since the insurance didn't do a scan I at least have that as leverage and Subby willing to assist.

I'll be looking at the car today to see if I can spot any issues.

No scan prior to the work being done as the insurance didn't want to pay for it.

I spoke to Subaru already and they will cover most if not all of the diagnostics and take it from there. I cleared the codes and I got the car home. CEL did pop up on the drive. Looks like camshaft is a perm code.

Since the insurance didn't do a scan I at least have that as leverage and Subby willing to assist.

I'll be looking at the car today to see if I can spot any issues.

For the record - Subaru requires a pre and post scan on any 2004 or newer vehicle. No insurance company I have ever seen will go against a manufacturers requirement that they are advised of. Note there is a difference between a requirement and a recommendation.

Here is the Position Statement -- https://rts.i-car.com/images/pdf/oem-info/subaru/position-statements/29235.pdf

Tell them to stop screwing around and fix the car... the first thing they should have done is scan for codes.

The insurance company told them not to. Turns out they have to. So I have a major beef with them and will be switching companies. If this isn't fix lawyer coming while I work with Subaru. But hoping this fixes the issue and can move on.

looks like the pins got pushed back out of the connector - remove the connector and push them back in - they should click into place, unless the connector itself is broken. I'd give it a try before going back to the repair shop - I hate wasting time with folks that do shoddy work.

Here, they require a scan before they release the vehicle (and I imagine before) - that was one of the charges on the bill when our van got hit a few months back (other insurance company was paying, so I didn't care)

The insurance company told them not to. Turns out they have to. So I have a major beef with them and will be switching companies. If this isn't fix lawyer coming while I work with Subaru. But hoping this fixes the issue and can move on.

That seems to be a really stupid thing for the insurance company to do since scanning codes is cheap compared to the troubles that can come.

So any codes that exists after a repair would be on their table. If being strict the car should even have been test driven to confirm that all OBD monitors are executed successfully before being returned to the customer to ensure that a road legal vehicle is returned.

453747.png

Irrelevant as that is agaisnt established procedures. Grow a pair and tell them to fix it

I don't know why you are telling me to grow a pair. I've already taken it back and it's getting fixed. All I was saying is if this doesn't fix it I will take whatever steps I need to get them to fix it.

Thanks everyone for the input it's been very helpful. Just trying to get as much ammo as possible.

Edited by gimpydingo

^ insurance company tells you they will put the car to pre-accident condition (which is a lie). they tell the body shop that they will not pay for a required service per OEM guidelines. Body shop did not do it because insurance would not pay for it.

There is not one OEM out there that does not recommend a pre-repair scan and a reputable body shop would not be going against that either.

You need to take control of the situation and should have never signed for the car as it was not fixed. Been there done that and I have made the body shop go back and fix stuff that was not right (including using aftermarket parts when OEM was specified) made them pull them off and put Acura parts on said car. They were peeved off and I said too bad so sad as the law requires you to do it. They said oh these are as good as OEM, i said you want to get paid? u put OEM parts on the car as you were told to do.

• 3 weeks later...