LegacyGT.com

06 WRX Flywheel Trouble

I have a 2007 Legacy GT and I am in the process of putting an ACT Clutch kit in it.

https://www.advancedclutch.com/product/hd-perf-street-sprung-sb5-hdss-2?gfid=p4014-c303529

I found out that it needs a WRX Flywheel. No big deal, I thought, so I got one. That brought me to the problem I currently have and hope I can get some help with. The stock starter is having trouble interfacing with the new Flywheel and as a result is making some noise when you try and start it.

I have searched this site along with a couple others to try and see if anyone has had a similar problem but no luck.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

I'm guessing you got the wrong FW. If you have your old one. do some measurements.

When I went to a OEM SMFW for my 05 GT wagon, I ordered a 07-09 LGT 5mt FW and Spec 2+ clutch to go with it. That was 66,000 miles ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Making it work probably isn't a great option. I bought the wrong flywheel and just plan to sell it locally as there are tons of subaru owners in utah. Gonna suck if you damage your starter or something like that.

Yea I had my old stuff and realized why things weren't lining up and the good people here confirmed I bought a non turbo flywheel. Other alternatives to save money are resurfacing your old flywheel or picking up a used compatible one on nasioc and getting it resurfaced if it's still in spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, I get what you mean. I definently dont want to buy a new starter on top of everything else.

There is a difference between the Turbo and Non Turbo Flywheels? I've never head/read about that before but it would explain my issue.

there is no getting it to work unless you have access to a machine shop with some serious machining equipment.

But if your in a bad bind, the only thing I can think of is gears on the starter, they are setup to work with a specific sized flywheel! So the only thing you have a chance of changing thats cheap is probably the sprocket on the starter. I'm not sure if its pressed on, welded, or a one piece mold. If you can change the sprocket, then maybe, and that is even a long shot

Why not return the flywheel?

And not all flywheels work with one another, i'm not sure how it is for subaru. but in a lot of cases, certain clutch kits need their own specific flywheel, because the size might be different and won't align with the stock bolt pattern. So make sure ACT clutches don't need a specific designed flywheel that they sell. If it can mount to stock flywheel, then you need to get an 06 wrx flywheel that works with stock application clutch kits.

There is most likely a different issue. If you were able to install the pressure plate to the flyweel then it's the correct flywheel. Non turbo flywheels have a different bolt pattern for the pressure plate because it is a smaller diameter.

Ok, thanks for the info. I was able to install the pressure plate so that must not be the issue.

there is no getting it to work unless you have access to a machine shop with some serious machining equipment.

But if your in a bad bind, the only thing I can think of is gears on the starter, they are setup to work with a specific sized flywheel! So the only thing you have a chance of changing thats cheap is probably the sprocket on the starter. I'm not sure if its pressed on, welded, or a one piece mold. If you can change the sprocket, then maybe, and that is even a long shot

Why not return the flywheel?

And not all flywheels work with one another, i'm not sure how it is for subaru. but in a lot of cases, certain clutch kits need their own specific flywheel, because the size might be different and won't align with the stock bolt pattern. So make sure ACT clutches don't need a specific designed flywheel that they sell. If it can mount to stock flywheel, then you need to get an 06 wrx flywheel that works with stock application clutch kits.

I plan on returning the flywheel and getting the ACT Flywheel that goes with this specific pressure plate. The kit as well as the engine specify the 2006 WRX Flywheel as compatable so it is still a mystery to me.

But if your in a bad bind, the only thing I can think of is gears on the starter, they are setup to work with a specific sized flywheel!

These are really good points. The second is straight forward. But I hadn't thought about the first. Common issue on bicycles. You've possibly worn both the starter gear and the flywheel and now with the new flywheel they don't want to mate up.

DIY Starter Repair. How-to: Remove, Disassemble, Grease, Reinstall (w/pics)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=5383&share_tid=218329&url=https%3A%2F%2Flegacygt%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D218329&share_type=t&link_source=app

As max capacity said though could just have been a mistake. And yes I agree with your plan to exchange it all even though it's a huge pain. I'm not excited about having to pull my flywheel and my engine is still on the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"5 Speed applications only. Must be used with ACT flywheel or factory flywheel from 2006 and newer WRX (not included)."

Thats what act says.

So it bolts to the flywheel, but the gears are off.....

when did the 6mt come out? do u have a 5 spd or 6spd? Did wrx come with option for 5 or 6 spd?

Make sure your getting a flywheel for a wrx not an impreza, they probably have different sized flywheels.

All I know is this must really suck.... i am assuming this guy has to pull the engine and tranny again.... worst place to make a mistake... sooooo much wasted effort.