LegacyGT.com

Top feed conversion..

• 1 month later...
I used the lgt 07 rails because you can delete the fpr easily, on the 05's/sidefeeds the fpr is before the fuel rails, I think thats the best way to do it. You use the fpr from the old setup, rather than try to have some weird double fpr setup. I had no issues. I believe mine is ran in series as well. Also make sure the hoses don't make any sharp bend, I added a 3" or so loop of hose to alleviate issues with the hose not having a natural flow. I also flared and cut up my 07 fuel rail and merged it, so it wasn't a direct swap. I basically used the 07 injector part of fuel rail and merged it with the older 05 piping, so basically I changed just the fuel injector portion. Its hard to explain, but basically i was trying to mod it so that the only difference was the part of the 05 fuel rail with the injector cradles, so majority of my setup is actually the sidefeed setup, until it gets to the injector where I modded it to use the top feed input and output. If any of this doesn't make sense let me know lol ! Edited by Tehnation

Actually, it turns out the 08-14 WRX rails are of the same style as the 07-09 LGT rails, with the FPR mounted away from the rails themselves. I found this out when I was looking for an FPR to troubleshoot my LGT with, and then looked under the hood of my 13 WRX haha. So, avoid the earlier WRX rails that have the FPR mounted directly on top of the #1 fuel injector.

To answer samuel's question, Cryo didn't seem to think there was a need for aftermarket rails at my 350 whp target on E85 with the wagon, when we first discussed my goals. That said, even the LGT top feed fuel system has been pretty finicky during tuning (ergo the troubleshooting I mentioned earlier). Maybe I'll post a 'lessons learned' doc when all's said and done.

To get the top feed rails working on your side feed car, you'll need to remove the entire fuel pressure regulator bundle at the firewall near your brake booster, and replace it with a pair of hoses with 5/16" Chrysler style quick disconnect fittings on either end. When you convert, make sure you get the fuel pulsation dampers that came with the topfeed rails, which are spliced into the send and return lines. Your old sidefeed rails have the dampers on teh rails themselves, whereas turbo topfeed cars have them inline on the send and return rubber hoses. Without dampers you'll probably have stumble/stutter issues, and maybe even leanout up top if it rings bad enough.

Interesting side note - I recently learned that the 2.5i top feed rails have rail mounted dampers...

Edited by awfulwaffle

I used 14 WRX fuel rails that I modified to be parallel. I added 07 sti TGV's deletes I did myself. I'm running ID1000 injectors and the stock FPR. I have zero issues with idle and the car runs fantastic. My tuner recommended the ID1000's as well. Not because of the power I was going to make, but the quality and tuning ability. Plus I'd rather have the extra room when it comes to fuel.

I don't and if I did it would be very hard to see anything. I mean I basically used 2 T's under the center of the intake manifold to create parallel system and had the supply and return lines run under the TMIC over to the FPR by the driver strut tower.