LegacyGT.com

ej20y into 2010 Legacy GT, questions follow

Maybe it isn't as big of deal on the 2005 & 2006 GT sedan, because the book values of those are the lowest and represent the entry level examples. I usually see blown motor 4th Gen pop up locally every couple months on craigslist. Also look at OBXT of that generation as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Check the valve clearances. If they are too tight, you likely just need to rebuild/replace the heads.

If the engine's piston rings are oiling the combustion chamber you will need to deal with short block. (You may even be able to get away with a hone and new rings.)

Any plans for those heads or engine?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A stage 3+ rebuild of the short block. Manley internals and suchlike. The heads are on the jdm 2.0 that will be a surrogate engine until the 2.5 has been built and ready to be swapped.

Actually hoping I find a cleaner body that needs a swap.

That is the plan.

If its bad valves why are you messing with the bottom end?

198k miles. If I had to go this far, might as well make it as new as possible. Replacement engine until the built one is ready. I'll be playing around with the tuning potential (?) of the jdm 2.0 til then.

fair enough lol. are you going to use the factory bottom mount turbo or the turbo your jdm unit came with? you engine come with pcm and harness?

Factory position. I like the position of the turbo on the 2010 lgt. It was mainly done so I didn't have to make space in the engine bay. I moved over virtually everything from the 2.5 block, down to the oil pan. The dip stick was routed a little bit differently on the jdm, and since I was swapping the cams I moved that as well. 2.5 heads have also been used, waterpump replaced

is the combustion chamber on a 2.5 the same as the jdm heads? I have done zero research on that but I would assume they're larger to keep compression down with the higher displacement. So if I understand you correctly your basically just swapping short blocks?

The EJ25 has a larger bore than a EJ20. I haven’t had an EJ255 apart yet, but will the combustion chamber line up? Will the valves clear the smaller bores? (Or line up with the pistons if they have reliefs). I know with some car manufacturers, you can’t swap between the different engine bores of the same engine family.

is the combustion chamber on a 2.5 the same as the jdm heads? I have done zero research on that but I would assume they're larger to keep compression down with the higher displacement. So if I understand you correctly your basically just swapping short blocks?

The short answer is yes, I am basically swapping the short block. I'm working with a former Subaru mechanic who has done these swaps before in the dealership. Though for my particular installation we are discovering things as we go, so far so good. Everything at this point is exploratory.

The EJ25 has a larger bore than a EJ20. I haven’t had an EJ255 apart yet, but will the combustion chamber line up? Will the valves clear the smaller bores? (Or line up with the pistons if they have reliefs). I know with some car manufacturers, you can’t swap between the different engine bores of the same engine family.

At present it is bolted up. Waiting on a decent day or one of the lifts to free up. It will work or it won't. Cost to me is $700 plus a lot of time. If it doesn't work, a month later a built 2.5 will take its place. This is as much to see what's possible, and how involve something like this might be. I've learned more about these cars during the his swap than I've ever known. Very good info coming off this board as well. Forgive the delays, I'm not full time on the car, so things are taking a bit longer to verify and/or answer.

• 1 month later...

Update. 2.0l jdm engine is in. Starts and runs fine. Going to get a custom tune from XRT for it. Ride that tune through the winter months, then around May I should have stock piled parts for the 2.0l or a built 2.5. Having trouble communicating with the shop that gave me a quote for the built block, so exploring different options. B/c of the holidays, the car hasn't hit the road yet. It is on the early list for the new year.

Will let you know how it goes.