LegacyGT.com

Click and hesitation on low rpm acceleration

I've noticed recently that my LGT (5mt) has a slight stumble or hesitation when accelerating at low rpm. There is a click (sounds like a relay) coming from the lower left area of the dash (by driver's left knee). There are no codes being thrown and the problem only happens in first or second if I'm lugging the engine a little getting going from a stop or when I should downshift into first from second. There is a click or two, the engine stumbles and then catches back up and all is well.

I'm not terribly worried about it as I can always just give it more gas and not experience it. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Searched the forum and didn't see anything resembling my issue. From the diagrams I'm seeing, it may be the fuel pump relay. Thoughts?

For the WRX, but similar: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2531534

I'd check for Vac leaks, clean your MAF, and consider changing your front O2 sensor. The O2 will frequently cause issues b4 it dies and throws a code.

If it's definitely temp related, I'd replace the CTS/coolant temp sensor (not the gauge sender).

Td

Both O2 sensors are new and the temp sensor is about 6000 miles old. I wouldn't say it's temp related either way. I'll check for vacuum leaks, but it doesn't seem consistent for that. I'll clean up the MAF and see if that doesn't help, thanks for your input!

...a couple other thoughts (not a mech/tech, so take it/leave it):

-IAC?

-Neutral switch going....>>bad?

- If you connect the GREEN connectors under the dash, Key On/Engine OFF, it'll cycle the sensors, fans, etc. and you might be able to find one that's NOT cycling? I found a bad purge valve (?) this way a few years back.

- Based on your previous response, I'd guess your up-to-date on tuneups, but just in case.....

- And you did use NGK platinum plugs? :)

...a couple other thoughts (not a mech/tech, so take it/leave it):

-IAC?

-Neutral switch going....>>bad?

- If you connect the GREEN connectors under the dash, Key On/Engine OFF, it'll cycle the sensors, fans, etc. and you might be able to find one that's NOT cycling? I found a bad purge valve (?) this way a few years back.

- Based on your previous response, I'd guess your up-to-date on tuneups, but just in case.....

- And you did use NGK platinum plugs? :)

Thanks, I'll give the connector/cycle thing a shot.

The parts are new and plugs are NGK.

Haven't gotten out to it yet, but I'll keep working

• 3 weeks later...
Figured I'd post an update. It did turn out to be the MAF, so thank you to wtdash! I sprayed it down with electronic parts cleaner, both inside and both sides of the connector. The problem is still there but it has been drastically cut down. A new one has been ordered and I anticipate all will be right in the world.