LegacyGT.com

NOT HAPPY. CVT is leaking.

When i crawled under the car to change my oil today.. I noticed the bottom of the CVT has oil around the back half of the gasket. And appears to be leaking from in front of the CVT as well. I'm beside myself. This is the first time I have noticed any fluid in the area. I'm making an appt tomorrow at Subaru.

My rear diff has already been replaced. I'm not sure what the warranty is on the CVT, but I do have the Gold plus warranty extension and I remember getting paperwork in the mail about known CVT issues.. Does anyone have insight into this?

When i crawled under the car to change my oil today.. I noticed the bottom of the CVT has oil around the back half of the gasket. And appears to be leaking from in front of the CVT as well. I'm beside myself. This is the first time I have noticed any fluid in the area. I'm making an appt tomorrow at Subaru.

My rear diff has already been replaced. I'm not sure what the warranty is on the CVT, but I do have the Gold plus warranty extension and I remember getting paperwork in the mail about known CVT issues.. Does anyone have insight into this?

The CVT's are on a Recall.. So you should be fine.. I had my Transmission replaced at 94k because it was a internal leak and dealer wasn't allowed to open it..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Finally took car into Subaru for diagnosis. They said my CVT is weeping? And they were gonna replace some gasket under warranty?

On the printout all it says is:

Correction: resched for trans leaks SAS? Any clue what that means?

I was under the assumption they just replaced the wholenCVT? and if they plan on doing gaskets are they going to change the fluid inside? Any insight is appreciated.

I was under the assumption they just replaced the wholenCVT?

See TSB 16-103-16R (revised 9/26/2019):

The repair involves chain cover removal, a thorough cleaning and inspection of the sealing surfaces followed by re-sealing the cover and replacement of the input shaft oil seal with the new, redesigned type.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Finally took car into Subaru for diagnosis. They said my CVT is weeping? And they were gonna replace some gasket under warranty?

On the printout all it says is:

Correction: resched for trans leaks SAS? Any clue what that means?

I was under the assumption they just replaced the wholenCVT? and if they plan on doing gaskets are they going to change the fluid inside? Any insight is appreciated.

It depends on where the leak was discovered.. There were 2 scenarios sounds like yours was the easier fix than the other.. Mine was the worse case scenario where the leak was more internal and SOA didnt authorize Dealership Mechanics to open the case and repair..So they replaced my transmission..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

See TSB 16-103-16R (revised 9/26/2019):

I guess I don't have the most confidence in the dealership. As part of this cleaning and inspection and replacement... They would change the fluid, correct? Certainly replace fluid that has been lost to date and the fluid that will come out during the repair.. If I have to request a fluid change- thats messed up. It also looks like i'm leaking from 2 different places. I took pictures but haven't had the best luck posting them on here will try again.

I guess I don't have the most confidence in the dealership. As part of this cleaning and inspection and replacement... They would change the fluid, correct? Certainly replace fluid that has been lost to date and the fluid that will come out during the repair.. If I have to request a fluid change- thats messed up. It also looks like i'm leaking from 2 different places. I took pictures but haven't had the best luck posting them on here will try again.

From your picture, it's leaking from the pan - not a big deal. They will drain the CVTF, remove the pan, clean the mating surface on the pan and transmission, apply sealant (there's no physical gasket there - they use ThreeBond 1217B), install the pan, refill the transmission with CVTF and send you on your way.

Might be a good idea to have them replace the oil strainer since the cover will be off, and make sure they clean off the magnet.

It's certainly annoying to have to get it fixed, but not a big deal (this is definitely not a "the transmission needs replaced" sort of scenario) - it doesn't look like this is the oil pump chain cover issue described in the tsb.

The back of the pan is wet, yes. But it is also leaking from higher up towards the front of the car.. It doesnt appear that the 2 leaks are related. Yes the pan is leaking around half of it.. But it is leaking from.higher up and that side of the pan is bone dry?

pan leak is easy to fix, the other one no so much.... I had 66K on my car when it was discovered that the front timing cover is leaking. Subaru and the extended warranty co are balking at fixing it. I also took my car in for 30K service and the tech cracked the font differential housing so at 41K I got a new reman trans from Subaru...

The back of the pan is wet, yes. But it is also leaking from higher up towards the front of the car.. It doesnt appear that the 2 leaks are related. Yes the pan is leaking around half of it.. But it is leaking from.higher up and that side of the pan is bone dry?

Well, hard to say without pics of the second leak - if it's not clear where it's coming from, clean the engine/transmission with a degreaser, then drive a little and look to see what's wet. Looking at the transmission case in the service manual, there are a bunch of plugs that could potentially be leaking - maybe you'll be lucky and it's one of those, otherwise looks like the transmission has to come out to fix most of the other ones

It's hard to guess what a leak is without some pictures that show it! (your pic just showed the oil pan, so I figured that's what you were looking at!)