LegacyGT.com

Popping noise

I recently replaced my inner and outer tie rods. I also replaced my sway bar endlinks. The tie rod ends came filled with grease and the sway bar endlinks had to be filled via zerk fittings. I filled those up. The inner tie rods had a light amount of green grease. So after doing all this I got an alignment. Everything was good for about 50 miles. Now I have an intermittent popping noise. Sometimes when I turn it does it but sometimes it doesn’t. It also sometimes does it when going over a bump. It sort of feels like it is more towards the center of the car. Which leads me to believe it’s the inner tie rods. I tried to jack it up and then lower it onto the wheels to reproduce the sound but it will only do it when the car is in motion. For the life of me I can’t figure out where it is. Should I removed the boots from the tie rod and put a decent amount of heavy suspension grease In there and pull the boot back over? I really don’t know what else could be making this popping. I just don’t want to put a bunch of grease in there if it isn’t supposed to be. I know asking for tips on fixing a sound is pretty vague but any suggestions or guesses would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like I've read so many threads about popping or clunking noises. Typical culprits seem to be lower control arm bushings (mine look absolutely terrible), end links (maybe you got a bad one out the box?), tie rods, and cv axles. I'd looking at those other two since you just did the tie rods and end links. Did you use oe parts or cheap autozone? I've seen sometimes that's the issue.

I'd also go give your wheels a tug and see if there's any play there. Make sure your lugs are still tight. Doubt it but worth checking assuming you pulled the wheels to do any of this.

Have you inspected the sway bar bushings? I had the top (flat side) of one of the factory rubber ones split and when I’d take slow turns over uneven surfaces it would pop.

Didn’t inspect them but actually have a new set of polys front and rear on my workbench

I feel like I've read so many threads about popping or clunking noises. Typical culprits seem to be lower control arm bushings (mine look absolutely terrible), end links (maybe you got a bad one out the box?), tie rods, and cv axles. I'd looking at those other two since you just did the tie rods and end links. Did you use oe parts or cheap autozone? I've seen sometimes that's the issue.

I'd also go give your wheels a tug and see if there's any play there. Make sure your lugs are still tight. Doubt it but worth checking assuming you pulled the wheels to do any of this.

Oh yeah forgot to mention. Duh. Did lower control arms too with all new bushings

axles maybe, or cv joint

Wouldnt a cv be rotational noise though? The popping seems to be on both sides. Towards the center of the car. And is more likely to occur when hitting a bump. It might not even be caused by the turning. Might be coincidental that possibly I’m hitting a small bump as I’m turning because it happens more often over a bump.

i have a popping noise from my firewall or the body... but thats because its an old car at this point.

popping how, high pitched or clunky, like sheet metal bending or steel grinding? at or mt? are your engine and tranny mounts securely bolted and in good shape?

popping noise is soooooo vague... these ******* cars are nothing but problems and popping sounds...

Have you figured out a way to reproduce this sound? what are the parameters needed to make this sound come about? that seems like a better approach! All the talk of tie rods and center of car doesn't really make sense, it would mean your car might be out of alignment or could be the steering rack or its bushings. Front center of the car?.. only thing there are your engine mounts, steering rack, and steering rack bushings.

if it doesn't occur when turning and while just going straight, then look into drivetrain because you said its coming from the center. My engine was making "popping" sounds because my engine mounts were shot, another time it made "popping" sounds because i didn't tighten my tranny mounts....

do you feel the pop through the car or just hear it?

i have a popping noise from my firewall or the body... but thats because its an old car at this point.

popping how, high pitched or clunky, like sheet metal bending or steel grinding? at or mt? are your engine and tranny mounts securely bolted and in good shape?

popping noise is soooooo vague... these ******* cars are nothing but problems and popping sounds...

Have you figured out a way to reproduce this sound? what are the parameters needed to make this sound come about? that seems like a better approach! All the talk of tie rods and center of car doesn't really make sense, it would mean your car might be out of alignment or could be the steering rack or its bushings. Front center of the car?.. only thing there are your engine mounts, steering rack, and steering rack bushings.

Yeah I know it’s vague. Asking for advice on sounds is tricky just figured I would get some guesses here. It’s def a clunky sound that I can feel. I suggested inner tie rods because they were recently done and I never had the clunk until 50 miles after I did all of it and had it aligned. And it almost sounds like it’s coming from where they connect. That’s why I was thinking maybe they didn’t grease them enough from the factory. Still haven’t figured out a way to produce the sound without the car moving and hitting a bump. Engine and tranny mounts are def secure.

Maybe I can get the car on jack stands and then jack each tire individually and get something to pop.

Well put it up on jack stands and jacked each tire. I got something to pop twice. Then it didn’t do it again. Must have jacked it up and down 50 more times. Couldn’t get it to do it again. While I was under there I threw in the poly sway bar bushings front and rear. Front were worn but not cracked at all. Rear looked pretty good. Don’t think it’s gonna solve the problem but might stiffen things up a little. Hopefully I can take the car out tomorrow for a drive and see if anything has changed.

axles maybe, or cv joint

So I put coilovers in today and while I was in there I was rocking the cv in out and it is popping on the inside. Do you think I can get away with cleaning it up and regreasing it? It just started doing it so it might not be too far gone. If yes, what type of grease should I use. I have some full synthetic cv grease on hand. Read that you need to use a compatible grease but I can’t find what subaru uses to know if it’s ok to put in there

are your cv boots torn? there are 2 on each axle.

If they aren't torn then they probably still have grease in them

If they are torn, you will need need new cv boots as well.

No they aren’t torn. Which makes me wonder how they all of a sudden started making this noise.

Are both axles making noise or just one side? It could just be by design if both are doing them, i'm not sure if they should make a noise. Its multiple moving parts, so maybe. But if its only doing it on one side, then we can assume otherwise.

inspect them properly it can be a simple hole, but usually there would be a mess of grease everywhere, so if its clean down there, then it's probably not a grease issue.

Don't take off the boots unless you have a cv band strap tool, and new straps. You can't reuse them! I'm the type of person that would want a closer look, so if you do make sure you can replace it if you want to have a peek, otherwise it will get messy.

Are both axles making noise or just one side? It could just be by design if both are doing them, i'm not sure if they should make a noise. Its multiple moving parts, so maybe. But if its only doing it on one side, then we can assume otherwise.

inspect them properly it can be a simple hole, but usually there would be a mess of grease everywhere, so if its clean down there, then it's probably not a grease issue.

Don't take off the boots unless you have a cv band strap tool, and new straps. You can't reuse them! I'm the type of person that would want a closer look, so if you do make sure you can replace it if you want to have a peek, otherwise it will get messy.

I think it’s both sides. It’s just weird that it all started after my alignment and new parts. I’m also the type to want to inspect but I do not have a banding tool. Can I just use hose clamps?

Oh yeah forgot to mention. Duh. Did lower control arms too with all new bushings

Did you go for new lower control arms or put new bushings in stock lower control arms? If new, what brand? Mevotech?

The reason I ask, is I am in the middle of searching on those, and came across several threads here an at Outback.org discussing Mevotech ball joints going bad very quickly and making noises on their Aluminum lower control arms.

Did you go for new lower control arms or put new bushings in stock lower control arms? If new, what brand? Mevotech?

The reason I ask, is I am in the middle of searching on those, and came across several threads here an at Outback.org discussing Mevotech ball joints going bad very quickly and making noises on their Aluminum lower control arms.

I put new lower control arms. I forget what brand they were but they weren’t mevotech.

i wouldnt use hose clamps, the axles spin, so something can sheer it off cause it has more surface area to hit. a band tool and some clamps are like 15-20 bucks.

I’m only going to remove the Inner boot as that’s where the noise is. I don’t see why a hose clamp would be a problem for the inner. If it doesn’t help with the pop I’m just going to replace them