LegacyGT.com

Quick Tool Tip - Ball Joint Tool (LCA Taper Side)

I ground the slot a little wider to fit around the ball joint on the topside of the lower control arm. The tool is made nice and heavy and it worked well for popping the taper out of the control arm. -And it's under $30 at least one of the chain stores. This one is marked Performance Tool W83022. I never did like pickle forks.

20191006_163823-891x607.jpg.5260d54746751d39d1fd8bbd00eba114.jpg

I ground the slot a little wider to fit around the ball joint on the topside of the lower control arm. The tool is made nice and heavy and it worked well for popping the taper out of the control arm. -And it's under $30 at least one of the chain stores. This one is marked Performance Tool W83022. I never did like pickle forks.

I bought a lever-type ball joint separator a while back for working in my German cars. Aluminum knuckles don’t take well to the rough treatment pickle forks give them, turns out.

While pickle forks work, these are far less destructive than the pickle fork could ever hope to be. They’re especially nice when you want to unseat a balljoint you don’t want to destroy, like say you’re taking a knuckle out so you can have a bearing replaced or something. Really the only drama is when the joint does finally unseat; it sounds like a gunshot in your garage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also always used these on my German cars. I have a nice little Stahlwille that fits tie rods nicely but I didn't have one that fit these Subaru ball joints quite right. This one worked fine and cost a lot less than a Hazet or Stahlwille. They do make quite a bang but don't cause any damage.

I have the Company 23 puller which works great for the other side of the ball joint, but that Astro looks like it is the bargain in that category and I might have gone that way when I was looking for one.

I'm not a professional mechanic but if I'm doing something myself I like to have good tools to do things properly. These days it seems that many of the cheaper tools really are not that terrible. It's a great time to be alive in this regard.

I’ve found this to be the bomb to pull the ball joint from the knuckle.

http://www.astrotools.com/subaru-ball-joint-puller.html

~$25 on Amazon. Worth every penny.

bought one of these for my old outback, it's great. definitely worth the money. the clamp type like OP posted is more universal and can be used on many more vehicles, but the astrotool one for subarus is fantastic.