LegacyGT.com

Delphi coilpacks causing hesitation?

Hi everyone, I have an 01 legacy b4 have been having issues with it for quite awhile now. Car has a fmic, GFB recirc valve, Apexi pod filter, zerosports hardpipe, dw65c fuel pump, and a full decat.

Have been experiencing issues since August with intermittent hesitation and lack of power. Car was dyno tuned back in June and after that I had an issue that the shop had lowered my redline to 6500 from 7000 without telling me. So thinking I had a misfire I replaced the plugs and coil packs as I asked them what it could be only to later find out the redline was changed. When replacing the coil packs I went with delphi coils from rock auto as I was a little strapped for cash. Car ran fine for about 2 weeks before I started getting my hesitation/lack of power and bogging issue.

The car never throws a CEL and is obd1. It usually will store a code 23 for the maf sensor which has replaced with an oem one and still the issue persists. Have also recently replaced the fuel filter, the o2 sensor, boost leak tested, and checked all the solenoids. Thought maybe maf wiring to the connector but wiggling the connector doesn't affect rpm, voltage or fuel trims on my logging data. And when you unplug it the car dies. I would put my old oem coils in to try it out but stupidly tossed them out

Was wondering if since I had replaced the coils a little before the issue if maybe it could be that the delphi coils just aren't up to that OEM quality or that they may have different dwell settings and was wondering if anyone else has had issues with delphi or could provide some insight on the issues I'm having? All help is appreciated as I don't wanna keep throwing parts at it and have had it to shops multiple times to have no answers. When the car does work it's great but when it doesn't it's annoying and insanely slow

I wouldn't have picked Delphi coils, I would have gone for Denso. In some cases the wrong coils can cause trouble for the electronics due to bad matching where the coil resistance is too low or the voltage spike exceeds what the driver circuit is specified for.

Ignition systems with electronics is not always working in your favor when using mixed parts.

If it's hesitation when going on the throttle it can also be a sticky MAP.

453747.png

I wouldn't have picked Delphi coils, I would have gone for Denso. In some cases the wrong coils can cause trouble for the electronics due to bad matching where the coil resistance is too low or the voltage spike exceeds what the driver circuit is specified for.

Ignition systems with electronics is not always working in your favor when using mixed parts.

If it's hesitation when going on the throttle it can also be a sticky MAP.

It definitely makes some sense where it started getting the issue not long after switching to the Delphi coils. Local guy is parting out his legacy gtb so I'm going to grab the coils off his and give it a try so hopefully. And the shop had thought map or a solenoid so they switched out the whole solenoid box with one they knew was good and that didn't help unfortunately.