LegacyGT.com

Optimal roof rack cross bar width? 58" too big?

I am in need of a roof rack for my 2016 Legacy. I have a line on a used Yakima roof rack setup in good condition for $250. It includes 58" round bars as well as Q towers, Q5 clips and SKS locks.

I am new to roof racks so wanted to solicit advice from others. I haven't been able to find the optimal width for the roof rack and was wondering if 58" is too wide. The guy selling the rack also has a pair of 48" round bars but I fear they may be too narrow for my car from what I've read.

I want a cost effective setup that looks good and will allow me to haul skis, snowboards and a kayak. I know I will need to pick up those attachments.

Anyhow, I welcome opinions on whether the 58 inch yakima roundbar will look good and function well.

I've read various opinions regarding noise and it has me wondering whether I should spend more for an aero setup or if the Yakima round bars should be fine. I have read that some have added a fairing/wind deflector to help reduce noise.

Thanks in advance for any guidance provided.

I just purchased new, the Jetstream in the small size (50"). The 58" would work, but you may poke your eye out getting in, or hitting your head getting out... That's your call.

I also purchased the fairing (46"). I can feel a slight difference in drag, from the naked roof to the full set up (I also have 2 bike trays). Too soon to tell the effect on mileage, but I normally average 34 and right now, after 142mi, I'm at 31.9. Traffic has been a little worse than normal this week, so it could be the extra stop and go on the highway too... So maybe a good guess would be 1-2mpg less.

Edited by SubieN8

Thanks SubieN8 for the response and info. I wondered if 58" bars might be a bit wide. Interesting that you went with a fairing with those Jetstream bars. I was thinking that one might not be needed with those bars. Did you happen to try them without the fairing first? Was curious how much noise they give without a fairing and if the fairing further cut down the noise.

Thanks SubieN8 for the response and info. I wondered if 58" bars might be a bit wide. Interesting that you went with a fairing with those Jetstream bars. I was thinking that one might not be needed with those bars. Did you happen to try them without the fairing first? Was curious how much noise they give without a fairing and if the fairing further cut down the noise.

I purchased it for esthetics - I like how it looks. You're correct, with the Jetstream bars, the fairing is pretty much unnecessary. I did drive without the fairing for about 50mi and it was just as quiet as it is with the fairing, to me anyway.

I purchased it for esthetics - I like how it looks. You're correct, with the Jetstream bars, the fairing is pretty much unnecessary. I did drive without the fairing for about 50mi and it was just as quiet as it is with the fairing, to me anyway.

Thanks. Decided to go with the 50" corebar setup.