LegacyGT.com

2005 legacy GT Car stalled, will not start - P0700 P0725 warning for others ? on fix

Guys, I was driving to another work location and all of a sudden I lost all power and my cruise light is blinking and my check Engine light is illuminated. Please see the pictures below the car has 12,000 original miles it is a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT. I bought this to replace the one I currently have which has 115,000 with zero problems. The oil change was up-to-date and full. What would cause this.. looks to be crankshaft gear to snap off like this? Looks like it was obviously not screwed in or the weld broke. So I had the vehicle towed home on a flatbed. When I got home I ran the codes thinking it might be a sensor or something since that’s what I’ve seen in the past on the forms.. so the codes I got were P0700 P0725. So if you get these codes check the timing belt before restarting the vehicle As you see severe damage can occur. As memory serves me this is an interference engine? What is the chance that the engine is not damaged from your professional opinion’s? I drained some oil to see if there were any metal flakes oil is clean. From the picture do you think all this to be re-bolted back on with replacement parts? Quite disappointed in the build quality as I have never seen this in the previous Subaru’s I have owned. As we know I am well out of warranty.. I know we have a lot more knowledgeable technicians on here than I would like to know your thoughts how to fix. I have a local shop I use just want to know what I’m in for.. I apologize for the poor grammar long day at work.. I am in the fort lauderdale Fl area PM if you can help. Thanks

IMG_8462.JPG.b204591ea263c4c2b29a5e2491f77a88.JPG

IMG_8449.JPG.fb72513e52694db87d4ff2c3491aa629.JPG

IMG_8458.JPG.ddda0314f84c3537edaba3349b456abc.JPG

IMG_8444.JPG.f3080f07687c0d6ef6f94040bc74e5df.JPG

IMG_8447.JPG.2d8eeb921890600f37a5ee0bd059433a.JPG

Looks like the exhaust cam on the passenger side is gone.

I would bet good money that’s the toothed idler pulley begins the center cover seized up.

12k miles? Is that right or a typo? Timing components should be replaced after 10yr or 105k miles. It’s well past 10yr, I wonder if it’s still stock timing components.

Depends how much you tried to drive/start after it happened. Pretty good chance that there are bent valves. Small Chance that you are in the clear, but I think it’s pretty small unfortunately.

Yikes. If you were running the engine at speed (ie driving and not just idling), pretty good chance you have bent valves and maybe a dinged up piston or two. I would buy a cheap borescope like this, pull the spark plugs and take a look in the cylinders for signs of the valves contacting the pistons.

https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Semi-Rigid-Inspection-Megapixels-Waterproof/dp/B06WRNGYXY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=usb+borescope&qid=1567821943&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUVRYM0M4R1VCVzVJJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTI2NTM2R0Q1WFlDMzNLWUg2JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwNTQ1NjcyWTczRDhONldKQTNPJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I would bet good money that’s the toothed idler pulley begins the center cover seized up.

12k miles? Is that right or a typo? Timing components should be replaced after 10yr or 105k miles. It’s well past 10yr, I wonder if it’s still stock timing components.

Depends how much you tried to drive/start after it happened. Pretty good chance that there are bent valves. Small Chance that you are in the clear, but I think it’s pretty small unfortunately.

12k yes on 2005, not a typo. My other 05 with 115 is on its original belt changing soon. what would cause this to brake on 12k?? Thanks

12k yes on 2005, not a typo. My other 05 with 115 is on its original belt changing soon. what would cause this to brake on 12k?? Thanks

You need to keep digging. That cam is highly unlikely to shear off in its own.

Need to use a camera or mirror to look behind the center cover or remove the crank pulley and then the center cover. I would bet there is more issues under there.

Honestly, only 12k miles in 14-15 yrs is really hard on parts of a motor, they are built to run, not sit. I wonder if the grease in the toothed idler pulley hardened from non-use. I would also worry about all the hoses as well.

Thanks will do. 05 with 12K was in 75 temp garage in FL. before that Mane keep in garage to.

You need to keep digging. That cam is highly unlikely to shear off in its own.

Need to use a camera or mirror to look behind the center cover or remove the crank pulley and then the center cover. I would bet there is more issues under there.

Honestly, only 12k miles in 14-15 yrs is really hard on parts of a motor, they are built to run, not sit. I wonder if the grease in the toothed idler pulley hardened from non-use. I would also worry about all the hoses as well.

Thanks awfulwaffle and everyone input..

Engine update,

So I ordered a high megapixel borescope arriving on Monday. I did find a borescope camera in my garage... I doubt it’s even take two megapixels. I took out the spark plug on the passenger side closest to the crankshaft. This is what we can see with the potato camera. What do you guys think please tell me some good news... (: When I get the high resolution camera I can check the other spark plugs but it may be sometime since I’m busy at work. i’m thankful I have a second car was just about to sell it just wanted to make sure the replacement was reliable... ): I have to look at the Engine diagrams but from the crankshaft pictures and the engine it looks like this separated or is this two parts? Basically I took this off with my hand there was no tension at all on the belt on this crankshaft And did not have to unscrew anything. Leaving me to believe that this separated.. manufacture defect? Are there any Service bulletins or recalls regarding this? let this be a warning for our brother & sisters if you get the code P0700 P0725 check the belt do not start car!!!

Yikes. If you were running the engine at speed (ie driving and not just idling), pretty good chance you have bent valves and maybe a dinged up piston or two. I would buy a cheap borescope like this, pull the spark plugs and take a look in the cylinders for signs of the valves contacting the pistons.

https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Semi-Rigid-Inspection-Megapixels-Waterproof/dp/B06WRNGYXY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=usb+borescope&qid=1567821943&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUVRYM0M4R1VCVzVJJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTI2NTM2R0Q1WFlDMzNLWUg2JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwNTQ1NjcyWTczRDhONldKQTNPJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

1.jpg.31526cfa69389a2cbb984bf9a8262e14.jpg

2.jpg.e3c5d8d10c729f2f5bfac6c9cfbd8840.jpg

3.jpg.773fbbe732ab80f5a5feed0b623741e6.jpg

4.jpg.74dfeb1b85984486158f2973e0790acd.jpg

5.jpg.4a738a849e1ab776ab4263cd6a59f77a.jpg

IMG_8501.JPG.a8e085b81556decbe2d1641b6fcdc39b.JPG

IMG_8512.JPG.16f738d3f82ac9d3d4c82d34147b4bb6.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man, just saw this. The valve reliefs are indeed normal. Hard to tell whether that's a crack in the 4th pic, but whatever it is I think it's been there. If it was damage from a valve strike it'd be pretty obvious, there should be a nice ding in the piston to go along with any crack. Definitely get the hi def camera in all 4 cylinders and see if you can tell anymore, but all of the pictures you posted look OK to me.

That gear shouldn't have separated like that.

• 2 months later...

So I have been busy at work but I wanted to provide an update..

Thank you for everyone’s input and help regarding this!

Great news there was zero damage.. I was amazed! Got all new OEM parts, car started right up. A huge thanks to Wales garage. Ben and his team are amazing! If you have any issues with any make or model within Florida bring your car to the following address. They will treat you like family! Over 1000 miles on the car since repair...

Wishing everyone an outstanding holiday and a great new year!

Wales Garage! Phone- (954) 763-5506 ask for Ben...

Address: 2916 SE 6th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316