LegacyGT.com

5EAT on its way out?

CruxGNZ

Hey guys, I'm new here and new to these cars, but I believe my transmission is on it's way out. I tried searching, but my search-fu is not strong tonight.

5EAT with ~172k miles

1-2 is normal

2-3 slips

3-4 hangs for a couple seconds and CLUNKS into gear throwing your head back into the headrest.

4-5 is normal

Downshifting seems normal

Finding reverse is sometimes a problem. May just be a linkage issue though. The trans has a leak in the tail shaft which is dripping on the hot exhaust. I'm keeping an eye on the fluid level...and a fire extinguisher.

I am going to start calling the bone yards around here (near Milwaukee, WI) to find another 5EAT. Because this is a daily driver, which is about 2 hours of city driving a day, I want to build a tranny, so I can swap it in before my current one decides to fully crap out. I'd like to install ClimberD Bullet Proof Diff Bushings (as long as I'm in there), a TransGo Shift Kit and also upgrade the valve body. This should be a fun project.

Is there another option for a transmission, besides a 5MT or 6MT? I can't use a manual trans anymore, so that's out.

Input?

Thanks guys

You can test this learning procedure:

10.Learning Control

A: GENERAL DESCRIPTION Be sure to perform the {Clear Memory 2} only when the following services have been performed. And when the shifting shock is occurred during the total check with vehicle driving, perform the learning with following procedures. <Ref. to 5AT(diag)-17, CLEAR MEMORY MODE, OPERATION, Subaru Select Monitor.>

• Replacement of TCM

• Replacement of transmission assembly

• Simultaneous replacement of TCM and transmission assembly

• Replacement of each clutch

• Replacement of control valve body

CAUTION: When {Clear Memory 2} is executed, DTC may not be cleared.

B: PROCEDURE

1) Turn the ignition switch to ON.

2) Turn the air conditioner switch to OFF.

3) Turn the headlight switch to OFF.

4) Turn the rear defogger switch to OFF.

5) Start the engine.

6) Connect the Subaru Select Monitor to the vehicle.

7) Drive the vehicle for 5 — 10 km (3 — 6 mile) to warm up ATF temperature more than 70 °C (158 °F).

8) While checking that the throttle opening angle on Subaru Select Monitor is within the specified range, shift the gear from 1st → 2nd, 2nd → 3rd, and 3rd → 4th, while driving the vehicle at “D” range. <Ref. to 5AT(diag)-15, READ CURRENT DATA, OPERATION, Subaru Select Monitor.> Acceleration opening angle: 12.5% ± 2%

9) While checking that the throttle opening angle on Subaru Select Monitor is within the specified range, upshift the gear from 4th → 5th while driving the vehicle at “D” range. Acceleration opening angle: 15.5% ± 2%

10) Repeat the steps 8) and 9) until the reducing effect of the shifting shock is felt. 11) If reducing of shifting shock is not felt after 5 cycles, recheck that the learning conditions (throttle opening angle, ATF temperature, etc.) are as specified and recheck that other parts are normal.

From what I gathered, buy the cable (USB to OBDII), download the freessm, hook up the laptop to the OBDII port and reset the TCU. The cable looks to be ~$30 on eBay. I will buy the cable and give it a shot. I'll let ya guys know what happens. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
How soon do you need a trans? Im swapping mine this winter and I’m going to have my 5EAT with a Hexmod VB upgrade, and Mishimoto transcooler for sale soon. It may or may not come with an aluminum driveshaft from the Driveshaft shop as well. Let me know. I’m Northern IL so not too far from you.