LegacyGT.com

Engine on stand - items to re-use or replace

09 EJ253 AT - picked up a replacement engine w/88K miles out of wrecked car, saw the motor run, seemed fine. Had the heads machined and installed them w/Fel-Pro gaskets yesterday. Putting Aisin timing kit w/water pump in today so I feel like I'm in the home stretch to mounting it back up again. While the engine is still on the stand with intake manifold off, I'm looking for advice on things I must/should replace or can figure on being able to re-use:

PCV valve

Oil control valve (Can/should this be cleaned?)

Cam/Crank position sensors

EGR valve

Purge Control solenoid valve

VVLS pressure switch

Knock sensor

etc.

Thanks for any tips anyone may have.

PCV valve

Oil control valve (Can/should this be cleaned?)

Cam/Crank position sensors

EGR valve

Purge Control solenoid valve

VVLS pressure switch

Knock sensor

etc.

Being a non-turbo engine, all of those items are not bad to reach should you need to replace them afterwards. The PCV valve is cheap enough that you might as well replace, and it couldn't hurt to clean the oil control solenoids while you're there. Everything else shouldn't be a problem.

Do clean the throttle body though, easy to see straight down since you have the manifold off now, and on a similar note, clean the MAF when it's all back together.

I'm in the same situation. Going to be doing valve cover gaskets and spark plug seals while I'm at it. The engine I picked up is literally 1000 miles less than yours

Got all the seals in an OEM kit, though there's a lot more in the kit than I intend to replace including block seals, wrist pin clips/washers, valve collets and some items I haven't identified yet. On a side note, I do kind of wonder why there's no use of ultra black on the spark plug tube seals since they leak with just age. Good luck with your "refurb"!

Being a non-turbo engine, all of those items are not bad to reach should you need to replace them afterwards. The PCV valve is cheap enough that you might as well replace, and it couldn't hurt to clean the oil control solenoids while you're there. Everything else shouldn't be a problem.

Do clean the throttle body though, easy to see straight down since you have the manifold off now, and on a similar note, clean the MAF when it's all back together.

Thanks! Good to know I don't absolutely have to change these out unless something pops up. For OCV and throttle body I'm guessing I'm guessing carb cleaner or Brakleen should be okay?