LegacyGT.com

2011 Legacy GT speaker wire colors

Is there a weblink or anyone know what colors the speaker wire codes are for positive and negative? I did a forum and google search and the colors do not match with what I have in my doors and they seem to differ from year to year.

I got back into a Subie again (my 4th one) by buying a used 2011 Legacy GT and it came with an aftermarket stereo system.

From the factory, the car came with the standard radio, no navigation, with 6 speakers. Tweeters in the front windshield and front and back door speakers.

As of today, 08.12.19,

I have a new Pioneer Double Din AVH-W4500 NEX. I replaced the old Pioneer Single din radio which had line out to rca outputs to amp.

JL Audio 5 Channel amp

Focal 6.5" seperates in doors (dont know model number), but look to be in good condition so I may keep these.

DLS 226 Classic Series 6.5" in rear doors (I never heard of these, look to be in good condition but will replace with JBL 6.5" from Crutchfield so I can get mounting brackets and be

sure its not the passive crossover or speakers causing the problems since they are 8 years old)

I just had a stereo shop install a Pioneer double din and rear camera even though I have radio install experience, but am too busy to troubleshoot right now.

Problem is, I am getting distortion at higher volume levels where the speaker cuts in and out. Also, the distortion will move from the back driver side, then to the passenger front door side.

As a preventative while doing a checkover of the car being used, I put in a 10 ga ground from block to chassis on the driver side as one was missing.

Diagnosing the problem:

1. I had a stereo shop install a new Pioneer Double din, steering control, and rear backup camera and the problem still exists as installer did not remove panels to check speaker wiring or to check the amp... I guess this would be an added cost as the above already took 1 1/2 days to do. If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself, thus the reason for this post.

2. I still have a problem with the sound cutting in and out/distortion at higher volume levels so I wanted to check that the wiring and speakers were properly hooked up.

2. I noticed from different threads that I google and forum searched, that the color codes can differ not only from generation to generation, but year to year as none of the colors in the articles matched my car's oem colors. I cannot find a definitive site to state for my 2011 Legacy GT what the colors are, or to match what I have.

The Test:

1. Once I got the passenger rear door panel off, I checked the colors of the oem positive and negative wires and they were Green for positive and Dark Brown with white stripe for negative. Several threads confirmed that the Green was positive, but none stated that the Dark brown with stripe was negative.

I tested the sound again and positively heard the distortion coming from the driver side rear speaker.

http://i68.tinypic.com/iqbsyt.jpg.

Knowing that I wanted to eliminate the rear doors as a factor, and that I wanted to redo the install with spacers, put in better speakers, and sound deadening for the doors, I took out both rear speakers.

4. I moved to the front passenger speaker and colors were White with Black Stripe and Blue with Orange stripe. I cannot 100% confirm that the White with Black Stripe is to be Negative, but several websites I visited stated it to be Negative so I left it as is. No threads had a Blue with Orange stripe in the passenger front door. Can anyone confirm if Blue with Orange is the Positive wire.

http://i63.tinypic.com/fe3zoz.jpg

4. I checked the front tweeters as well, but cannot tell if distortion is coming from here, but I would like to know what colors are which for both left and right. I have white with black stripe and a red with yellow strip in the passenger side. I didnt find out the colors on the driver side.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2ly6dtu.jpg

Once I know the color codes, I can move on the the JL Audio 5 channel amp and check the polarity there and ohm load there. The wires for a trunk sub is hooked up, but I have them unconnected at the trunk and terminals crimped.

I can do the easy thing and buy all new 6.5' speakers and connect radio wires to the speakers directly to eliminate the amp being the problem, but still would need to know wire colors and it would be a waste for the front Focal seperates and JL Audio Amp.

Having a bad sounding stereo sucks especially when have compulsive addictive behavior like me demanding perfection as a trait.

Any help appreciated!!

Edited by abakja1

Thanks for the response, but the diagram colors still dont match what i see in my doors.

I forgot about using a simple light tester to figure out positive and negative wires.

I am just concerned about why the wire i see that were attached to the speakers dont match any of the diagrams or weblinks or pdfs if seen thus far.

This being a used vehicle is why I am trying to figure out how to rewire everything because the audio sounds terrible about anything over 1/4 power.