LegacyGT.com

Up pipe halp.

AWDFTW

Vehicle: 2006 OBXT Ltd with 5EAT. Around 110,000ish miles. Factory catted up pipe is still there and that makes me nervous. Gonna be pulling the TMIC off to apply the "bulletproof mod" to it...figure I should ditch the catted UP while things are apart, along with inspecting the banjo bolt filter.

I am not made of money. This is a daily driver, not a track toy. Only mods will be a catless UP, Grimmspeed crank pulley, and a Cobb Stage I map for the time being. Cobb DP and a protune are eventual goals, but that exceeds my "Repair and Maintain/I make questionable money choices because I have a turbo Subaru" budget currently.

What would you do?

-Ebay no name special, around $50.

-OEM catless, $75-$100 that I have found so far, many need some rust treatment.

-Used Grimmspeed, $120-$180 depending on condition of what I have found locally.

I don't want cheap junk that will break in a year, but $225+ for a brand new Cobb/Grimmspeed/Perrin/etc catless unit seems a little overkill for a going on 14 year old daily driver, so I'm looking at used for most mods (UP, DP, AP, etc).

OEM catless with low miles (from a new STI owner on NASIOC) or a new Invidia which would be the same price as a used Grimmspeed which can potentially have some wear at the flanges.

I’ve been running catless Invidia since almost day 1 of owning the car, no issues. Heat wrapped it and high temp silicone sprayed over for added protection and insulation.

Worth noting that it is strongly advised to get a protune after going catless but if you leave the stock downpipe you shouldn’t have issues but it is definitely still recommended.

Edited by Notorious

Leaving stock DP for time being, going to use Cobb's OTS Stage I map. Hope to replace with Cobb catted DP down the line and the OTS Stage II map and then get a protune if everything seems to be in good working order for a while.