LegacyGT.com

By bye steering fluid

So, driving the other morning, the power steering started to get a little tight, and by the time I pulled into my driveway, the power steering was gone.

Grabbed some ATF out of the garage, and it came out on the bottom end as fast as I could pour it in.

It's either the rack, or one of the lines nearby.

Anyone have any experience with something similar, and what ended up being the issue?

I really dont want to have to pull the engine, but there's not much room down there if the rack has to come out.

What am i getting into?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Take a look and see what's leaking - if it's a line, and it's leaking at a fitting, tighten it up - if a line has broken, replace it. It's hard for someone to assess what you might be getting yourself into when there are a wide variety of things which could be leaking - if it's leaking quickly, that should simplify things as it will come right out. If it's leaking rapidly with the engine/pump off, then it's probably a line - you really need to get in there and look.

I found my leak. It is a pinhole leak in the left of the two hard lines, the one closer to the outer CV joint.

Now the question is how to tackle this. It looks like the hole is in the small rusty section of tubing, between the hex nut and the black tubing.

Anybody dealt with this before?

Please help, I'm trying to get my ride back on the road.

Thanks. 29ff97df74ac221ad5a009cac1c4f34d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If the hard line is perforated, it will need to be replaced. The fittings look sort of angry, but ATF is actually good at breaking free rusted bolts, so maybe won't be too bad. Make sure you use a flare nut wrench on the fitting.