LegacyGT.com

The tale of two OBP OBXTs | low vs lifted

KevinEdgar

Yeah, I think it's the one under the turbo. Not the oil drain that's under the turbo. But the coolant house between the block and the turbo. I haven't really seen it, because it's such a mess in there.

Mine is just leaking and I need a new one. Trying to figure out the part number because I really don't want to dig into it without knowing what it is first.

Can't believe I missed this thread. OP, we should meet up one day. I also have two OBXTs, one lowered and one for light offroading too with ADF kit and lots of other mods. As a matter of fact, I just swapped my rear springs on the lifted one to increase the spring rate.

I never made a build thread though :(.

Can't believe I missed this thread. OP, we should meet up one day. I also have two OBXTs, one lowered and one for light offroading too with ADF kit and lots of other mods. As a matter of fact, I just swapped my rear springs on the lifted one to increase the spring rate.

I never made a build thread though :(.

Haha that's awesome, I'm glad I'm not the only weirdo with two identical cars for two different reasons. I'll keep you in mind if I drive through Utah again. Definitely hit me up if you find yourself in the Sacramento, California area.

Since Friday I have been going crazy with ordering parts. Here’s a list of everything coming in:

- ACT Lightweight flywheel

- ACT Unsprung 6 puck clutch

- Mishimoto X line radiator

- Mishimoto radiator hoses

- Subaru coolant x3

- 235/55/17 Hankook Noble S1 for the bbs sti

- Brembo rebuild kit

- Front/rear rotors+adapter

Now I gotta get the brembos ready for powder coat. Can’t wait to see the bbs STi wheels and brembos on the radwgn

Some parts came in today, it's funny cause I left my house for a couple hours and came back home to this! I have never bought a new radiator so it's nice to pull it fresh out the box, the clutch/fw setup is still on the way. Hopefully I get my turbo back from the machine shop soon. All I needed was 2 studs replaced...

50569119472_c24699775c_b.jpg

50568987146_abf46e5320_b.jpg

Since you use your lifted OBXT to do some light offroading and stuff, have you ever considered the 'torq locker' from torqmasters? There are a few videos on youtube showing how they install it, and how it performs on the trail and on the road.

Since you use your lifted OBXT to do some light offroading and stuff, have you ever considered the 'torq locker' from torqmasters? There are a few videos on youtube showing how they install it, and how it performs on the trail and on the road.

I haven’t thought that far ahead on that car yet. It needs so much minor work before it gets nice upgrades like that. Rear hatch doesn’t lock, license plate light doesn’t work, driveline rattles like hell, speedo light is messed up, stereo doesn’t go up past vol 10, windshield seals leak, list goes on lol

Today I did a lot a wheel/tire swapping. Even my daily beater got some falkens.

I put the ko2s on the stock wheels then put the hankooks on the sti wheels. In these pics you can see that I cleared the lens on the OBXT and gave it some LED lights up front. Still gotta mount and wire the LED flood lights. It's so weird seeing it on stock wheels again.

50573917333_2d8265bcbd_b.jpg

50574791432_4dbd99ee85_b.jpg

50574655621_3628768819_b.jpg

50574655596_b66c8614b7_b.jpg

50574791262_2286409e78_b.jpg

50574655481_70e428e461_b.jpg

I was worried the puffy tires would look weird but I think it works. Normally when I see bbs sti on the BP platform the wheel/tire setup always looks too small. This looks better in my opinion and doesn't make the car unnecessarily lower.

50574791122_14cc0c2ae8_b.jpg

50573916968_a7c57a497b_b.jpg

50574655276_fc413fde7f_b.jpg

50574655181_37c90f9966_b.jpg

50574655076_60d1ded6d0_b.jpg

I'm just waiting on the ACT flywheel/clutch then I will be dropping the engine in, hopefully on the 15 and running by Jan 1st.

I got some cheap flood lights for my boat and got a pair for the lifted subaru.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P396KTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZPX32N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The light isn't super bright but it adds some nice fill, I need to test them on a pitch black road.

50575165646_46973d8d8c_b.jpg

50575302602_01410b22c4_b.jpg

50575165581_74080fbd46_b.jpg

50574429343_263d7ff7ba_b.jpg

50574429303_c42397dec3_b.jpg

What is your ride height on the lifted obxt (from wheel cap to fender lip)? Also exactly which tire size are you running?

Since I have the bts kit, I had Patrick make me a custom lift kit (1.5 inch lift in front) and standard 2" inch lift in the rear. Just added 500 lb/in rear coil spring rate because I haul around a lot of stuff. My tires are Geolandar g015 225 60 17. Not very aggressive since this car is also used for long road trips. But I am not afraid to hit the trails though: matter of fact, almost got stuck yesterday on a steep sandy atv trail. Lowered tire pressure to 18 psi and off the car went :spin:

Threadjacking ooops :)

Once again, you can't really tell how steep it is from the picture.

IMG_20201107_162019.thumb.jpg.83059f5260d63d8cebd170dea7491fd8.jpg

Edited by xt2005bonbon

What is your ride height on the lifted obxt (from wheel cap to fender lip)? Also exactly which tire size are you running?

Since I have the bts kit, I had Patrick make me a custom lift kit (1.5 inch lift in front) and standard 2" inch lift in the rear. Just added 500 lb/in rear coil spring rate because I haul around a lot of stuff. My tires are Geolandar g015 225 60 17. Not very aggressive since this car is also used for long road trips. But I am not afraid to hit the trails though: matter of fact, almost got stuck yesterday on a steep sandy atv trail. Lowered tire pressure to 18 psi and off the car went :spin:

Threadjacking ooops :)

Once again, you can't really tell how steep it is from the picture.

18" front 19" rear, what's yours? And tire size is 225/65/17. I really want to get 15s and run 235/75/15. But I gotta focus on getting the other one running.

Dude that's awesome is that in moab?? I really want to take my car there, I almost went in my lowered one when I drove to colorado but I figured there would be no point. Losing traction in sand has to be the worst feeling.

just checked my ride height. From center cap to fender lip: 17.5 front and 17.75 rear. You definitely have more clearance than I do then.

Yeah, more sidewall is good especially if you air down. Problem is 15" won't fit due to the rotor size, unless you downgrade. As far as I know, 16" is the smallest size we can run.

These endless trails are not in Moab. Saint George area. 20mn from my house :spin:

Gonna purchase a set of Maxtrax mini just in case. But already carrying shovels, air pump, bunch of tools, etc..

Here is the video when I got stuck :lol:. Did not record one when I unstucked myself. Crazy though, did not even have to get any real momentum. Just started from the middle of the steep hill and off the car went. Amazing what airing down does.

just checked my ride height. From center cap to fender lip: 17.5 front and 17.75 rear. You definitely have more clearance than I do then.

Yeah, more sidewall is good especially if you air down. Problem is 15" won't fit due to the rotor size, unless you downgrade. As far as I know, 16" is the smallest size we can run.

These endless trails are not in Moab. Saint George area. 20mn from my house :spin:

Gonna purchase a set of Maxtrax mini just in case. But already carrying shovels, air pump, bunch of tools, etc..

Here is the video when I got stuck :lol:. Did not record one when I unstucked myself. Crazy though, did not even have to get any real momentum. Just started from the middle of the steep hill and off the car went. Amazing what airing down does.

Oh dang I didn't know 16" was the smallest but it makes sense. Those trails are so cool. How far are you from moab, would be cool to do a subaru camping trip there. Your kids really got a kick out of you stalling lol.

I need to do my u joints like you did, I just ordered a new driveshaft for my lifted subaru since the bottom of that car is so rusted I didn't even want to attempt to change the u joints.

I have been chasing drivetrain vibrations for a while in the lifted outback. After hearing some crazy screeching and violent vibrations coming from the mid rear I knew the driveshaft was DONE. I didn't even get under the car, just ordered a new driveshaft on rockauto by cardone. I was EXTREMELY surprised what I saw immediately upon getting under the car.

50600031801_fbb844d161_b.jpg

50600149342_53d8010a09_b.jpg

WHAT IS WRONG HERE!

50600031631_6498d8b104_b.jpg

I do not know how this thing did not let go on me, I was still flooring it like this too. New driveshaft went in without pulling the exhaust cause I didn't want to deal with rust eroded hardware.

50600149157_3039aaefeb_b.jpg

New driveshaft is amazing and the ride is soooo quiet now.

The clutch kit I ordered was on backorder and I didn't realize that until I called rallysportdirect to ask what was going on with my order. I switched kits to one that has a sprung disc, that came within 2 days of exchanging. Installed everything today and I think I will give away my "old" clutch setup. I think it's still useable I just cannot afford to take any risk.

50600031446_0a1125eb61_b.jpg

50600031356_26d52e7d3b_b.jpg

50600031286_02ed1acc1a_b.jpg

Engine goes in tomorrow?!!???!!

Engine in today!! Gave a little fight going in first try so I took it out and readjusted the load leveler to balance the weight better and more evenly. Second try was much smoother.

After getting the engine in I started to button a lot of things up, motor mounts, trans bolts/starter, stock downpipe, fuel lines, painted the ac/alt bracket. Just need a few more things before I am able to crank it over. I'm confidently nervous...

50603441953_e98952a44b_h.jpg

50604303627_179caa6e38_h.jpg

50604182046_3a77bbcaed_h.jpg

50604181971_392957835a_h.jpg

50604303367_19c2ff9591_h.jpg

Oh dang I didn't know 16" was the smallest but it makes sense. Those trails are so cool. How far are you from moab, would be cool to do a subaru camping trip there. Your kids really got a kick out of you stalling lol.

I need to do my u joints like you did, I just ordered a new driveshaft for my lifted subaru since the bottom of that car is so rusted I didn't even want to attempt to change the u joints.

I never replied to this. we are actually pretty far from Moab, about 5 hours drive I think.

I was trying to figure out how you knew I worked on my u-joints. but then I figured you probably saw the other amateur videos I posted on my channel :lol:. Either that or you saw my post somewhere on the forum about it.

also forgot to mention: we got stuck last week on another sandy off road track, while it was getting dark, with a wife and three kids in the car :spin:. I was bailing out on a sandy trail and decided to back up and turn around. While doing so, I managed to get one wheel off the ground, and then it was the open diff problem with the Subarus... Spent 30 minutes with one of my kids figuring out a way to regain traction. Luckily I brought shovels and stuff like that. I'm waiting for Maxtracks to provide some kind of coupon on Cyber Monday to buy me a pair of Max tracks mini (hopefully they will). Too bad I didn't take any pictures..

Nice work. I can't remember, did you install a brand new oil pump? If yes did you prime it?

Yes new 11mm oil pump but no I did not prime it, I was going to do that by cranking with the crank sensor unplugged.

I never replied to this. we are actually pretty far from Moab, about 5 hours drive I think.

I was trying to figure out how you knew I worked on my u-joints. but then I figured you probably saw the other amateur videos I posted on my channel :lol:. Either that or you saw my post somewhere on the forum about it.

also forgot to mention: we got stuck last week on another sandy off road track, while it was getting dark, with a wife and three kids in the car :spin:. I was bailing out on a sandy trail and decided to back up and turn around. While doing so, I managed to get one wheel off the ground, and then it was the open diff problem with the Subarus... Spent 30 minutes with one of my kids figuring out a way to regain traction. Luckily I brought shovels and stuff like that. I'm waiting for Maxtracks to provide some kind of coupon on Cyber Monday to buy me a pair of Max tracks mini (hopefully they will). Too bad I didn't take any pictures..

Haha yeah I watched the other vids on your youtube channel. Man you are really brave in the sand! Once I feel a little bit of sink or slip im outta there!

Nice work, took my time to read this and I learnt something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm glad you got something out of this thread :) Thanks for reading!

Edited by KevinEdgar