LegacyGT.com

The tale of two OBP OBXTs | low vs lifted

KevinEdgar

^^Ha ha.. please treat me gentle ok? I am a noob with turbo motors..

My previous and first ever Subaru was an '01 Forester SF n/a which I did everything on, even overhauling its motor completely. The Outback XT is my first turbo Subaru.

Kevin, I'll stop talking about my car, don't mean to hijack your thread man..

Well, it better be tuned with all of these mods, or else it would have blown up by now! :spin:

But yeah, you need to figure out a way to monitor the ECU.

Haha my exact response when I read his mods. I'm like damn at that mileage that thing is even a worse time bomb than with nothing done to it.

^^Ha ha.. please treat me gentle ok? I am a noob with turbo motors..

My previous and first ever Subaru was an '01 Forester SF n/a which I did everything on, even overhauling its motor completely. The Outback XT is my first turbo Subaru.

Kevin, I'll stop talking about my car, don't mean to hijack your thread man..

All good man

Kevin, what an amazing car man.. One day you can be with it at the track, another you day is ready for the trails/mountains, so versatile..so much work done to it. That's awesome man!

Thanks a lot! If your car has no tune, it would make sense that it gets shitty gas mileage with what is all done to it.

Lately in the radwgn I've been getting a P0103(Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input) while at WOT. It happened maybe 4 times? I checked it out today since I had some time and when I pulled out the MAF for inspection/cleaning I found that one of the pins has some corrosion, rather than clean it, I just ordered a new one, and got one for the lifted outback too cause why not.

51761152620_ac547f60fd_h.jpg

51760938579_782148f208_h.jpg

After some quick research I found a thread on here that pointed to using this MAF.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WMG8A0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It comes in next week, maybe this also has something to do with my recent feedback knock readings? I know this car needs an AOS super bad.

I came across this thread ( https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2639657 ) and read all 8 pages, seems like the MAF itself could be bad and of course the corrosion on the pin doesn't help. I am going to contact my tuner and see if I will have to get another appointment incase my MAF was already failing at the time of tuning. But I feel like if it was reading anything out of normal on the tune day he would have told me that I need a new one before continuing. ANYWAYS, I'm really curious to see how this new MAF will affect the drivability of the car. And yes, I have cleaned this MAF a few times before but never replaced it. Stay tuned!

Edited by KevinEdgar

Alright, so I felt really wrong buying the MAF from amazon, some good reviews but also some bad ones. And am I really going to sacrifice my $15k engine to save about $80? Absolutely no way. I just ordered a MAF from subaru p/n: 22680AA31A @$163.88

I also ordered 2 new studs/nuts for the lifted obxt rear diff mount since I messed up one of them and currently only have 3/4 of the mounting bolts secured haha.

Good decision. MAF should remain OEM IMO. First time I see corrosion there. Do you monitor ECU parameters while you drive?

Yeah, definitely an interesting spot for corrosion but I'm glad I found it. Hopefully the low speed bucking characteristics will go away with this new MAF. Really hard to drive this car around 25 mph because it lurches so much. 169k miles on the chassis, I've had the car since 108k miles so who knows how old the MAF really is.

I monitor Feedback Knock, Fine Knock Learn, Boost, Coolant Temp, AF Sens 1 Ratio, Dynamic Advance Multiplier.

Edited by KevinEdgar

What about your fuel correct and fuel learn variables? I am pretty sure these must have been off if you had the ECU throw some MAF related codes.

In addition to what you have mentioned here, I always keep an eye on the learned fuel trims, including the OCV/VVT angles (gives you a clue whether OCVs are faulty or issue with oil flow, particularly to the turbo!), target AFR, timing, load, MAF, boost target, and intake temp. I think that's most of them.

What about your fuel correct and fuel learn variables? I am pretty sure these must have been off if you had the ECU throw some MAF related codes.

In addition to what you have mentioned here, I always keep an eye on the learned fuel trims, including the OCV/VVT angles (gives you a clue whether OCVs are faulty or issue with oil flow, particularly to the turbo!), target AFR, timing, load, MAF, boost target, and intake temp. I think that's most of them.

I don't monitor any of those but I suppose I could adjust my setup to include those. I have been meaning to get a boost and AF gauge for the cubby so I could remove those from the AP display.

Alright, so I felt really wrong buying the MAF from amazon, some good reviews but also some bad ones. And am I really going to sacrifice my $15k engine to save about $80? Absolutely no way. I just ordered a MAF from subaru p/n: 22680AA31A @$163.88

With those parts? Go OEM or go home!

We're supposed to get snow all of next week, RIP. I took off my summers today. I want to raise the car a little more :spin:

Second photo is helping me get in the season

I'm loving all this snow, I kind of want to take the lowered subaru up there to have some fun.

Lift looks great! I have never seen snow like that. Will be in TN for the end of the year, I wish it’d snow that way..

Thanks! Super lucky to have all different kinds of weather in California, it does have it's downfalls though as does everything.

Put the new MAF in and reset the ecu, I find it really weird that the car started on first crank. It usually doesn't do that after an ecu reset. I don't know if it's placebo effect or not but the car seems more solid throughout the powerband and I don't have to tip toe into boost. Still getting small amounts of feedback knock but not hitting up to -12 like I was with the old MAF.

51778074614_d649d0b13d_h.jpg

Had a fun little test drive around the hills.

51777433636_429dce8492_h.jpg

51776613247_6706e59214_h.jpg

51778074549_eb23af6896_h.jpg

Here's a random hovercraft photo from back in October that I never uploaded.

Also, the built engine has been throwing a misfire here n there, I really think I'm shooting myself in the foot since I haven't had an AOS this whole time. Gonna order a set of plugs and see how that goes, sparkplug changes are so annoying on these cars lol.

51792858542_584b7db7b6_h.jpg

Misfires in a specific cylinder? How high is the count? CEL triggered?

I’ve gotten misfire on all 4 although not at the same time. Also got the generic P0000 misfire related. What do you mean by count, and yes CEL trigger on all occasions.

Subaru calls it something like 'cylinder roughness' and provides a count for it per cylinder. This is directly related to misfires. You can log this with your AP, where you will find one of these variables per cylinder. Usually, this variable stays at 0 when all is well, with occasionally a count of 1 at random (this does not worry me). But if you see the count consistently rising and happening in a given cylinder, then you need to further investigate (e.g. count increasing in a given cylinder while idling). IIRC, a count greater than 30 in a given cylinder and on several occasions will trigger a misfire CEL code for the cylinder at fault.

How do your long term fuel trims look like?

Subaru calls it something like 'cylinder roughness' and provides a count for it per cylinder. This is directly related to misfires. You can log this with your AP, where you will find one of these variables per cylinder. Usually, this variable stays at 0 when all is well, with occasionally a count of 1 at random (this does not worry me). But if you see the count consistently rising and happening in a given cylinder, then you need to further investigate (e.g. count increasing in a given cylinder while idling). IIRC, a count greater than 30 in a given cylinder and on several occasions will trigger a misfire CEL code for the cylinder at fault.

How do your long term fuel trims look like?

I understand what you are saying but I haven't logged any of that info, I'm going to have to email my tuner and run that info by him as well as run whatever logs he needs.

Also, my trans has been grinding a little going into 4th, only has about 13k miles on the rebuilt trans, has good fluid level. I'll see what the shop thinks about it.