LegacyGT.com

Buying someone else's project car

RustyRuu

Honestly just wanna hear about some stories about people that make bad decisions like me and like buying crap cars.

I just bought a WRX swapped 03 impreza ts wagon that i couldn't walk away from for the price, i was looking into cars with blown motors and transmissions for the price i got it for.

It has rear drum brakes :lol: an open rear diff probably on its way out. but a zf design built trans with STI 1st and 2nd gears. power steering is about to take a poo too.

whats your story?

I bought a 1976 Chevy Nova SS manual back in the day. I bought it cheap in Pennsylvania but I had to have a trailer to haul it back to the D.C. area since it was all in pieces (everything was there even the hardware). I spend hours, days, weeks, month and year putting the vehicle back together in my parents garage using jack stands. I even had my cousin painted it (body man and painter) inside my parents garage for free since I built him a 502 that went into his drag El Comino and a 454 Supercharged that went into the Nova and a roll cage, etc. I got about $10 grand into the Nova including the price I paid for the vehicle. I sold it for $25 grand but I wish I still kept it.

I have another project that I'm the original owner since late of 1999 early 2000 and been sitting since 2009 as a rolling shell with 110k miles on the body. I don't have the time anymore since I'm not young anymore and I have a baby to take care of. I been trying to get my nephew to move back to the area from Oregon that is a ASE master tech for Honda and I have him help me put it back together. Right now I'm trying to research how the lockup solenoid works on a Automatic Transmission from Japan (SIR-G) that uses a separate TCM and a P30 ECU from Japan. How can I can get it to work with Hondata?

After this project I'm going full JDM import. Thinking Fairlady 240z, 260z, or 280z with a GTR motor, MR2 Turbo or even a R34 GTR (year of 2025 it be legal).

Edited by amusa

• 2 months later...

Me and 3 other members (who don't post much anymore) bought a caged Mustang to race in the Lucky Dog series.

Good: 2003 Mach 1 engine - runs great. Truckload of Maximum Motorsports suspension upgrades - handles great.

Bad: Cage isn't very close to the roof, and 3 of us are tall, so we had to drop the seat a bunch, and then remove the seat foam, to get low enough. The fuel filler neck was janky as **** and spilling fuel got us kicked out of our 2nd race. It has a fuel cell now, but the car's name is now "Meatball." One of the seat mounting bolts was stripped, but we got that sorted. The electrical system was hacky, I re-did a bunch of it. Plus a long long list of random little things, most of which are sorted out now. One of brake ducts came out and got ran over at our last track day, gonna fix that this weekend. The front bumper mounting scheme is crap, gonna work on that too.

Plus the wing was really mundane so of course we had to fix that up right.

Wing.2 is gonna be a snowboard, already procured, just need some drilling and some hardware and it's gonna be perfect.

Spoonwacker at the wheel a couple weeks ago:

Meatball_lo_res.jpg.a68bea5c20045eed0dfa092156597e5f.jpg

Edited by NSFW