LegacyGT.com

Blown turbo recovery question(s). Yes, used search function.

I’ll save the quick run down cookie cutter horror story I’m sure everyone’s familiar with on here. Turbo went out, shaft broke so everything was just bouncing around instead of shaving itself off in the housing. Now I’ve read, re-read the failed turbo sticky, then read it again. It answered 95% of my questions. I’m keeping fingers crossed and being optimistic in saving the motor. Banjo filters were removed before I bought the car. Now I’m worried about contaminants In the oil running unfiltered into the turbo during the flush. Drained the oil and saw a couple barely visible shavings, even strained the oil through a towel. Found nothing. Which I know doesn’t mean I’m in the clear. Should I throw some replacement banjo filters in while I flush? Maybe https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/oil-feed-lines-and-fittings/ts-0804-1001-turbosmart-billet-turbo-oil-feed-filter

Appreciate any suggestions 👍

Those banjo bolts are only going to get clogged during the flush.

Metal shavings in oil 9/10 times mean you need a new short block. If you want to see if you can reuse the motor, take it apart. Just because you flush out contaminants doesn’t mean you’ll get all of them out and it doesn’t mean the damage isn’t already done.

Well I would want the filters to catch anything, I would let the car idle for a few minutes, drain the oil-new filter and repeat before i even put the car in gear. Then replace the banjo filter before a very short low speed drive before another oil change. Rinse and repeat. I’ve heard both ways, some say screw it tear it down, some say the Scoob gods are kind and bless a small amount of people who do frivolous flushing [emoji848] (not saying you’re wrong, there has to be realist to balance the optimist).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much debris is in the oil, and what does it look like? aluminum or goldish in color? If the engine is full of bits from the turbo, that filter is going to plug relatively quickly, and you'll have an obstruction rather than a filter before the turbo. You really ought to drop the oil pan and see what's sitting in there.

I'd be pretty reluctant to just try flushing the engine - if you have a lot of metal in the oil pan, then you'll want to tear things down and clean them out, rather than running it through the engine and hoping the filter catches everything. You'll probably want to replace the oil pump as well. I wouldn't risk just flushing unless the oil pan had nothing in it. If you drop it and see coppery looking chunks in there, then the short block is done.

What car are you trying to save? (year and miles)

• 1 month later...

Appreciate the responses guys. [emoji106]I wouldn’t say there’s a lot of shavings (no copper) but also not a little, dropped the pan, little bit in there. Bought 10 oil filters and 10 5qt jugs of oil, primed the turbo good after new one was installed and have been flushing like crazy, idle flush then a short drive and flush rinse and repeat. More and more clean until finally no metal left. Fingers crossed but not unprepared for a tear down/rebuild. It’s a 2005 lgt with 87xxx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my understanding, in addition to the banjo filters, the OCVs and the intake cam gears like to plug up as well, and flushing those is very difficult. If you're willing to do some extra work, it's probably a good idea to remove those and disassemble/clean them. If you're going with the flush/clean route instead of a rebuild.

From my understanding, in addition to the banjo filters, the OCVs and the intake cam gears like to plug up as well, and flushing those is very difficult. If you're willing to do some extra work, it's probably a good idea to remove those and disassemble/clean them. If you're going with the flush/clean route instead of a rebuild.

At least check both banjo filters and may be in your case replace them with new ones for a while.

Most of us remove those two filters on 05-06's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I might be performing the same thing here as my 09 Legacy started spewing smoke and oil remains around the turbo. Saw it in the "blown turbo sticky" and now here about the banjo fittings. I knew of one but now I'm hearing there are two?? Can anyone point them out to us blown turbo owners?? Thanks.

I might be performing the same thing here as my 09 Legacy started spewing smoke and oil remains around the turbo. Saw it in the "blown turbo sticky" and now here about the banjo fittings. I knew of one but now I'm hearing there are two?? Can anyone point them out to us blown turbo owners?? Thanks.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5gt-turbo-oil-supply-banjo-bolt-filter-removal-62371.html

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/remove-all-banjo-filters-222758.html