LegacyGT.com

Use high beam for DRLs??

ckc

You are supposed to have your parking/running lights on if you have your fogs/driving lights on. I have never ever seen a OEM fog/driving light used as DRL's anywhere, but I may well be mistaken.

Like I said I still need to do some more work, but I am glad this has been of some help for some of you. If anything else at least it sparked some good discussions.

X

---

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would you want not to drive with all the lights on? It amazes me that so many people drive without any lights on at dusk, at dawn, and on cloudy days. If your car's lights are on, the likelihood that someone will not see your car is reduced. Drivers of black cars seem to be most likely not to turn on lights. In Scandinavia, cars are wired so that all headlights, sidelights, and taillights are on all the time. Makes sense to me.

Isn't running with just the fog lights without the headlights on considered illegal in US?? I asked a shop for that once and he told me I will get in trouble with the law.

Yes it is illegal to use good fog lights in several states, and much of Europe, as they are intended to be used.

Stupid law made by stupid people.

Fog lights, as they were originally intended, are meant to be used in fog without low beams. The sharp cutoff reduces backscatter, thus illimunating more than just fog. Low beams have a higher beam than fogs, or a fuzzy cutoff, thus illuminating fog rather than objects.

Projector low beams, as in our '05 & '06 Subies, have a sharp curtoff, somewhat reducing the difference.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Yes it is illegal to use good fog lights in several states, and much of Europe, as they are intended to be used.

Stupid law made by stupid people.

Fog lights, as they were originally intended, are meant to be used in fog without low beams. The sharp cutoff reduces backscatter, thus illimunating more than just fog. Low beams have a higher beam than fogs, or a fuzzy cutoff, thus illuminating fog rather than objects.

Projector low beams, as in our '05 & '06 Subies, have a sharp curtoff, somewhat reducing the difference.

This makes absolutely no sense, so is it ok to use BAD fog lights is several states and Europe? I know in Ma you are not supposed to use fog in non inclement weather. As for using fogs w/out low beams, most of the cars that I know of, including ours, you cannot use the fogs without the low beams and only low beams on.

Why don't all you people just do the "fog light mod" and just leave your parking light switch and fog light switch in the on position. As our cars shut the lights off with the key, there will be no issue of drained batteries. JMHO FWIW.

I included the word "good" to illuminate how senseless the regs are. I think you got that, but others, given the limitations of this medium, might not have.

The regs, of course, discourage the proper use of properly designed fog lights, and so discourage their inclusion as OEM items. Hence most OEM fog lights might make good DRLs, but still are not wired as such. At least, not from the factory.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

In some European countries, it's illegal to use foglights if you driving faster than 50 km/h.

That at least makes sense, for fog lights alone. They don't reach very far.

Of course, if in those same countries, you're required to use low beams with them, the point is moot.

You are supposed to have your parking/running lights on if you have your fogs/driving lights on. I have never ever seen a OEM fog/driving light used as DRL's anywhere, but I may well be mistaken.

Like I said I still need to do some more work, but I am glad this has been of some help for some of you. If anything else at least it sparked some good discussions.

X

I am not sure about US, but here in Canada.

Audi uses fog light as DRL

Great stuff, laz! :) Keep up the great work, tracing down those last bits should make this a truly happy DRL-alternative for many here on the Forums! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 2 months later...

laz-

I finally got around to using some of your info here to put a rocker switch w/LED in my DRL circuit. I mounted the switch on the dash to the left of the steering column. Now I can have DRLs when I want, and flick them off when I don't.

The LED is lit or dark depending on whether the DRLs are illuminated or not. It's off whenever the engine's not running, the parking brake handle is lifted, or the headlights are turned on, and the LED is on whenever the DRLs are lit.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe some of the people interested on this are located north beyond the border. For the folks with HID's in Canada it may be a good alternative.

It can be setup to light up the HID's with the right voltage as well. It would be good to extend the project to include other options, but I think it is a good start.

X

---

Laz,

I did your mod today and it went straight foward.

Thank you very much once again =)

But I feel the intensity of the high beams is a bit high...

I am afraid to blind other people. Do you have this problem?

Do you think it would possible to do this mod, but with the foglights alone? (Audi uses this set up here in Canada)

Yes it is. You just have to find the On wire for the fogs. That may actually work better.

I gave up in trying to find the 1 OHM 60 AMP resistor to bring down the intesity.

When I have time I will find the on cable for the fogs.

X

---

Yes it is. You just have to find the On wire for the fogs. That may actually work better.

I gave up in trying to find the 1 OHM 60 AMP resistor to bring down the intesity.

When I have time I will find the on cable for the fogs.

X

Laz, you are very kind and helpful to me!

Merci beaucoup encore!!!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived