LegacyGT.com

P0031, still after new front O2 sensor

Been having trouble with this code recurring even after trying multiple confirmed good O2 sensors (yes ECU has been reset, but code comes back instantly.) I’m logging a fixed 14.7 afr with romraider meaning there’s no O2 activity. I checked the pins in the harness plugging into the af sensor harness and all look good with none backed out.

Running out of ideas. Is there a relay somewhere in the car associated with the front O2 sensor? Any other things to check?

Details of the car (chassis, year, engine)(We can't assume it is the car in your profile you're talking about). What o2 sensors have you been using, all second hand? From the right model?

Find the aplicable factory service manual for your car and find the flow chart for that P code, you'll find in there instructions on how to check the wiring, if you suspect the cars wiring to be at fault.

But before any of that, I would start by just buying a brand new, genuine (only genuine, do not touch aftermarket for o2's), and fit that. Don't forget o2's are extremely delecate sensors, simply dropping it from half a foot onto concrete is enough to kill one. If you spray wd40 all over it, that can also kill it (there's little holes in the body of the sensor that it uses to breathe, if you get oil in there, can be curtains for the sensor.)

I had a similar problem. Repkaced the o2 sensor without disconnecting the negative battery cable for whatever time period is needed. Let it sit for a few days and problem went away.

Still have a problem with hard starting. It seems the shop removed my welding cable ground wires and substituted cheap thin wires. If you haven't checked all your grounds for good connection and wire damage, you need to do that.

The (*) technician's guide says this is a common problem and can cause the o2 sensor to apoear damaged when its the poor grounds causing the actual issue.

(* ) Studying to be a technician, but have access to the factory guides already.

Yes it is my 06 legacy GT. And yes, I’ve tried multiple other OEM LGT front O2s as well as later a new OEM one with no luck.

I’m gonna check grounds/related wiring and get the technician’s guide for that code. Will post updates this weekend.