LegacyGT.com

Need some help picking parts, 03 JDM BP5 spec-b

Hello, I have a Stock 2003 JDM BP5 spec-b wagon with the EJ20X, I’m looking to get an exhaust, CAI, and a BOV. I wanna get tuned to 91 since it’s still on a stock tune, and figured I should get these upgrades done before I do. I was thinking a $3k budget for everything including the tune, so $2500 after the tune. Though if it can be any bit cheaper I’m open to it haha. It’s just hard to find resources on what exhausts/CAI will fit, I’m new to the subie life, so go easy on me haha.

Thank you all!

Welcome!

Where about in the world are you?

Stock intake is more than good enough and won't make any performance gains other than more noise. Depending on where you are downpipes can be hard to get hold of. May be best getting a flange cut and getting a fully custom downpipe. Catbacks are a lot easier and most will fit. The tips will hang out further though as the JDM rear bumper is shorter. A Grimmspeed 3-port boost control solenoid is worth getting before the tune too.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Oh ya sorry I forgot I haven’t set up my profile on here much, I’m In Manitoba Canada, which means my $2500 is also in CAD, I was thinking of just getting a catback system and leaving the stock cat, and up/down pipe.ive heard the stock air box is pretty good but im thinking I want more noise if I’m gunna spend the money. For the catback, I’m having trouble finding info on what will work, like is my hangers and stuff the exact same as the usdm 4th gen with the 2.5l? Could I use their exhaust kits or do I have to find a Japanese kit? Same with the intake I’ve read that all the EJs have the same fittings but some things I read say it has to be specific models for the jdm model.

Thank you so much for your suggestions and help so far!

Can try deleting the resonator on the bottom of the airbox. That gives a bit more noise and may be enough to save the need to get a full replacement. Can give that a try ahead of time without a tune too.

It's all essentially the same besides the shorter bumper. I’ve got a Invidia Q300 on mine and fitment is equally good/bad as it is for many aftermarket option when put on US vehicles. Mating it to the stock downpipe isn't quite as easy though. If serious about not wanting a DP at any point i’d suggest getting a larger flange welded onto the stock DP so that it can mate to the aftermarket catback sized piping. The adaptor Grimmspeed sells doesn't work as it pushes the muffler bodies too far back which causes them to hit the sheetmetal underneath.

The way I have done it isn't ideal but it works for the most part. I just have the stock donut gasket tightened up against the larger catback flange, it makes the contact area super small but it does work.

That's how the Q300 looks on mine with the JDM bumper

42123160601_78aa4592d9_h.jpg

Edited by Andy_Mac

Is there a downpipe you’d recommend u get? How’s the sound on the Q300, I originally looked at it but couldn’t find many examples of the sound on a 2L, I want something kinda bassy I think or rally sounding, without being annoying on the highway. I don’t think the pipes look bad like that, they fit in the spaces on the bumper well?

There is a UK company that makes one that looks alright. Have never seen one used on my side of the world as shipping blows the cost out. All the JDM varieties are good but even second hand are crazy expensive. You're better off with a flange and custom downpipe cost wise.

Yea with some manipulation and cable ties the tips fit well. Fitment wasn't terrible but I wanted to reduce movement as much as possible so the the tips couldn't touch and melt the bumper as they have on a few other people's cars.

Don't have many video’s that highlight the sound very well. You can do this pops and bangs tweak in the tune if you want some rally/modern euro noise on liftoff/light throttle. Can help you out with that if you want too.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15080

Edited by Andy_Mac