LegacyGT.com

CV Axles OEM or aftermarket

1 hour ago, RumblyXT said:

Waking up this thread from the dead..

I hate buying Chinese parts that don’t last. OEM has always been the best R&D.

So to give some updated info on the remaned Raxles for our cars, as I am searching a couple of front ones too..

I spoke to Marty from Raxles, and the updated charge as of now is $279 plus your core, if you don’t turn in your cores, it’s another $80. In that case, you might as well pay the $389 from Subaru OEM ones.

Or better yet, search for a cheaper, low mileage OEM on eBay, pray they’re good and overhaul them yourself with a good aftermarket boot & grease like Moog or Beck & Arnley kit. 

Marty at Raxels has treated me very well. They gave me a free pocketknife lol. I will stick with them. Why would you not send the cores back.

For those looking for a used OEM, My local junkyards have axles for $40-50 

https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

You can get new boots and grease from the auto parts store for another $40 or so.

DSCN9707.JPG

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have had Raxles on mine for about a year now. Vibration around 20-25mph under load has never returned. However, one of the inner boots (driver side) has been sipping some grease. Loose clamp. I should bother them to send me at least a new clamp or something.

6 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

I have had Raxles on mine for about a year now. Vibration around 20-25mph under load has never returned. However, one of the inner boots (driver side) has been sipping some grease. Loose clamp. I should bother them to send me at least a new clamp or something.

I forgot to mention Raxels/Marty said they had warranty too.. not sure if the book/clamp is included though.

Around $360 picked up depending where you order from.. honestly, not bad for OEM. Fits Outback & Legacy.

Part# 28321AG00D

Here’s a set on eBay that should fit.. both OEM axles for only $200. Ask seller if they fit your car. If they do, looks like a great deal.

https://picclick.com/2005-08-Subaru-Legacy-GT-Turbo-Wagon-Front-Left-255894393274.html

Edited by RumblyXT

• 7 months later...

In Jan 2018, 5 years/11k miles ago, I replaced both my fronts with units from Raxles. The first ones they sent were no good. The owner was nice enough and sent me a second set, mentioning that they seem to run into issues with our model for some reason. I discovered this morning that my driver side has gone bad after sitting for about half a year. I have done some HPDEs  with my car, FWIW. May just go with salvage yard units if I'm going to go through these regularly.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Of course, I should've been more specific. For the current ones, basically clicking and clunking that could be felt through the seat/chassis. Up and down shaft play. I believe it was the same for the first ones... it was quite a while ago. I do not hear the constant clicking while turning, though.

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread

Interesting. That's quite disappointing especially for the price these cost. I also have axles from Raxles. The minor but annoying issues I've had is the driver inner boot clamp becoming loose and spreading grease everywhere. I had to add grease and reclamp it. Then a couple of months later, the passenger inner boot failed. I do drive a lot, and it is hot where I leave. BUT, I installed a heatshield between the boot and the cat. I guess, it's still not enough... So, I replaced the boot myself. I should have probably asked them to fix that since they have some kind of warranty on them.

Now, the other problem that frustrates me is vibration under high load at fairly low speed. I have a VF52 JMP and sometime push it quite hard when I launch the car. I can tell the drivetrain vibrates between 25-30 mph and then goes away. I suffered that problem with every axles I've had the past couple of years. Each time, I put a new set of axles, the vibration went away, but then comes back a few thousand miles later. I was disappointed when it showed up with these ones as well. Note, that it is an OBXT, not an LGT. My car has a 1 inch lift or so compared to stock I think. That may be what is causing the issue. My other OBXT is lowered with pink springs. No vibration like that.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

I've been looking into NAPA's Premium Axles today (limited lifetime warranty) and came across their extended length axle which might interest you. I read that they're made by Cardone. Their axles of other grades have received mixed reviews on this forum and elsewhere, but it might be worth a shot for your specific application.

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread

We've had good results just going to the salvage yard and getting a used one.  Always <$40 per axleshaft complete.  They have a 30 day warranty so if there is an issue they should replace it.

Edited by 59ctd

I just heard back from Mike at @AZP Installs that their shop uses TrakMotive. Their CV axles were $54.20 shipped from RockAuto 😮. All the junkyard ones around me are a bit over $100. They have extended length axles as well. Will report back on how they work out.

• Like 2

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread

49 minutes ago, Enlight said:

I just heard back from Mike at @AZP Installs that their shop uses TrakMotive. Their CV axles were $54.20 shipped from RockAuto 😮. All the junkyard ones around me are a bit over $100. They have extended length axles as well. Will report back on how they work out.

Good info, thanks for sharing that.
I've also had some pretty good luck finding CVs in junk yards and usually packrat a couple when I can find a deal, but if AZP likes trackmotive for an aftermarket part, it's hard to beat that price.... will remember that for when the stash runs out.

• Like 1