LegacyGT.com

2009 Outback steering wheel controls - do i need a AWSC?

upjeeper

i've been seeing some conflicting information. i plan to upgrade the head unit on my 2009 Outback in a couple of weeks. Some places say i need something like a AWSC and some seem to indicate i can wire directly into the new Pioneer double din head unit.

How do i find out what's accurate, aside from wiring it up and finding out if it works or not?

AWSC is a model number from Axxess Integrated and yes you do need one if you want to retain your factory steering wheel control. You also have to verify that your aftermarket head unit has the capabilities to add a steering wheel control. It's common now to have that feature standard but double check.

What model are you looking at? Not sure on pioneer but a few of the later models from other brands support it right out of the box and don't need a separate ’interpreter’ module anymore.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

What model are you looking at? Not sure on pioneer but a few of the later models from other brands support it right out of the box and don't need a separate ’interpreter’ module anymore.

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX