LegacyGT.com

97 Legacy L axle wheel bearing hub kit QUESTION?

It's been a while guys, been driving the heck out a my suby, 240,000 miles and now the rear wheel bearing is bad and I ordered a Axle Wheel Bearing And Hub Assembly Repair Kit and am trying to educate and motivate myself into doing the job myself. I bought the kit hoping to avoid needing a bearing press.

I cannot find any videos on installing such a kit. Watched a video on how to change 98 subaru impreza rear wheel bearing and found it pretty intimidating with the using of a press. My kit comes with a hub, bearing and axle nut. I was visualizing easily removing the hub and just popping the kit in.

My question is this, is it going to be easier to use this kit verses putting in a new bearing on the old hub and does anyone have a link to any how to video or help?

Thanks guys.

To get to the bearings you need to pull the hub. Replacement of the hub isn't necessary at all, you can simply replace the bearings and reuse your old hub (with new seals).

You will need a press. See this link and check out section 4-2:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/second-gen-factory-service-manuals-literature-186552.html

Unless you get a little out of line and gouge the hub while you are pressing the bearings. Then you will have to replace the hub. But if you are doing it close to right that won't happen.

My car lives in AZ and the press was still needed bigtime. It's not that they rust in place, they legit fit that tight in there.

Also, don't forget to take out the snap rings before you fire up the press. You should have a factory service manual to make sure you are doing all the steps and in the right order.

Thanks fellas. I knew I was going to pull the hub after the Impreza video I watched. I just wasn't sure if I could get around the use of a press and will now pull it apart with that in mind so I can remove the hub and head to a shop with a press.

It looks like the newer generation legacys bearing hub assembly can be purchased with bearings already in place and for less than $50.

Thanks for the replies.

Yep but then you get stuck with a 3rd gen car...

Not sure how many you're doing but you might consider doing all of em (I would at that mileage). Not that bad in price if you buy some Timkens and seals from rock auto and then do all the labor yourself - just bring it all into shop to have them put the hour of work in.

Yep but then you get stuck with a 3rd gen car...

Not sure how many you're doing but you might consider doing all of em (I would at that mileage). Not that bad in price if you buy some Timkens and seals from rock auto and then do all the labor yourself - just bring it all into shop to have them put the hour of work in.

:lol: My wife is driving a 2014 Outback, it has a giant warranty on it so no plans on working on it anytime soon.

I'm picking up a press from Napa Auto Parts this evening and using it on their free loaner plan, pay upfront for it and get all money back if returned unbroken. I might have to do the other three later.

In my experience it was always easiest to just replace the entire hub. Depending on how long you plan to keep the car, you can get one from a junkyard for pretty cheap. There are also aftermarket hubs for around $80 iirc, way easier to spend a couple extra bucks than waste a few hours prying the bearings out of the hubs and regreasing everything. time is money.

In an effort to help others regarding their bearings, they can be removed and replaced with a hammer press/race kit especially if you know what is bearing and what is the housing of the bearing.

I arrived on the scene after my retired neighbor hacked my car apart (long story) and according to his expertise had me wacking the heck out of the housing lip which he believed to be the actual bearing. Needless to say, the light aluminium bearing race/press did not hold up and the bearing obviously remained in place.

Next morning, plan was to take it to someone with a press but a buddy assured me it would come out with a little heat. Fresh eyes and no neighbor yet revealed the housing lip and I changed to the right size bearing press/race and heated the housing and bearing and after just a little controlled hammering it came right out. Might have come right out without heat had I tried hitting the bearing instead of the housing.

I personally put the new bearing in, used the old dust cover/rings. Haven't driven the car yet, as the neighbor broke one caliper bolt and while I was out getting that replaced he managed to destroy the LONG lateral linkage bolt and nut which we are now ordered and on it's way for Thursday or Friday.

Had I done the job all by myself, I believe it would have gone much smoother with less destruction.

So far...

$40.00 for bearing and hub

$5.00 caliper bolt

$19.00 lateral bolt and nut

$64.00 for bearing press kit that we tore up beyond returning for the rental plan at Napa

Will update, once I put the lateral linkage bolt in and drive it. Probably would have been easier to replace the hub and bearing from a junkyard bypassing messing with bearings altogether but it can be done. Maybe the next time I do one I will video it showing the right way with a hammer press kit. :)