LegacyGT.com

5th Gen GT or 3.6R

justenjoi

G'day,

I'm looking for a new car for weekend cruising, something comfy, something automatic and thus doesn't require much effort, however, also something with a little bit of punchy fun should I be in the mood.

I've come to the conclusion that a Subaru Liberty/Legacy should do the trick (At least on paper).

I was hoping to test drive the 5th Gen GT Premium and/or the 5th Gen 3.6R but I'm not sure what the major difference is (Apart from the obvious engine differences).

The GT seems fun, having a turbo and all, however the bigger engine on the 3.6R could be something and possibly better to tow with.

Thoughts?

I would get the 3.6R. I'm swapping a 3.0 into my 4th gen and I don't think I'll ever go back to a 4 cylinder, turbo or not. The flat 6 makes an amazing sound.

The EJ255 in the GT isn't known for being an amazingly reliable engine (this coming from someone with 288,000 miles on my daily's 2.5.) Cracked pistons and burnt exhaust valves come to mind, even on totally stock engines. My brother's Forester burnt an exhaust valve on a totally stock, 95,000 mile engine.

The only issue I know of with the 3.6 is oil consumption. This seems to be pretty normal by today's standards. Many manufacturers claim 1 qt within 1000 miles is acceptable on a new engine.

If you like modding there is far more you can do to the 2.5.

Test drive them both and see which you like best.

The 3.6R and the GT are both rated 1000#. I have towed with a 6MT 2.5i 5th Gen and my GT. Depending on what your towing, automatic can be more convenient. I tow a boat with my cars; the boat ramps and the steep hill at my family's cottage are a little more challenge with a MT.

The 5th Gen GT definitely seem more reliable than 4th Gen GT, but they probably aren't as reliable as 3.6R. The major issue with 4th Gen GT of turbo oiling issues and failures appears to be eliminated. The GT really wakes up with just a Cobb AP OTS tune.

I would get the 3.6R. I'm swapping a 3.0 into my 4th gen and I don't think I'll ever go back to a 4 cylinder, turbo or not. The flat 6 makes an amazing sound.

The EJ255 in the GT isn't known for being an amazingly reliable engine (this coming from someone with 288,000 miles on my daily's 2.5.) Cracked pistons and burnt exhaust valves come to mind, even on totally stock engines. My brother's Forester burnt an exhaust valve on a totally stock, 95,000 mile engine.

The only issue I know of with the 3.6 is oil consumption. This seems to be pretty normal by today's standards. Many manufacturers claim 1 qt within 1000 miles is acceptable on a new engine.

If you like modding there is far more you can do to the 2.5.

Test drive them both and see which you like best.

Good to know! I haven't had a fun-sounding car before. So that's something to consider.

I had caught wind of the 2.5L engines running into some issues, I wasn't sure if the 5th gen 2.5 T was the same engine or not.

I'm only really discovering the world of cars and mods so I wouldn't say a mod-able car is a huge priority...yet. I've been browing some of the modding posts here and there's been a few internal mods that have caught my eye, not a lot regarding performance, though.

The 3.6R and the GT are both rated 1000#. I have towed with a 6MT 2.5i 5th Gen and my GT. Depending on what your towing, automatic can be more convenient. I tow a boat with my cars; the boat ramps and the steep hill at my family's cottage are a little more challenge with a MT.

The 5th Gen GT definitely seem more reliable than 4th Gen GT, but they probably aren't as reliable as 3.6R. The major issue with 4th Gen GT of turbo oiling issues and failures appears to be eliminated. The GT really wakes up with just a Cobb AP OTS tune.

I'd be towing a small-ish boat, something around 15ft. Don't currently own it yet but future-proofing and all that :lol:

I'll look into that tune!

I tow a 15' boat with mine.

Good to know, thanks! Any idea what your boat + trailer weighs?

PS. Sweet car, I'm really starting to warm to the white colour, I thought I was pretty set on black or blue... but the white looks really nice.

The boat is 950-1000# depending on how much gas I have; the trailer is 300#. I am a little over the rated towing limit. At this point I only drive it couple miles to the ramp and back.

White was my least favorite of the Legacy GT colors available. 2012 GT are very rare, so I wasn't going to rule one out over the color. The color has grown on me.

If you want an easy, headache-free, auto cruiser with a bit of punchy fun, 3.6R is the way to go. Don't get me wrong, the GT is faster, available with 6MT (6MT is the only option in the states, other world markets have the GT available with the 5EAT auto), but along with it comes the reliability and maintenance issues that a turbo car entails. I'm not saying that they are horrifically unreliable, but the 3.6R is bulletproof, and paired with the 5EAT (the only option for it) and proper maintenance, it should reach 200k-300k miles with little to no problem.

Regardless of which engine you go with, I'd recommend some simple suspension/chassis improvements if they haven't already been done, just to improve driveability/liveability, and if you've got the cash for the worsened mileage, a moderate tune. At the very least, a throttle controller can really change the feel of the 3.6R.