LegacyGT.com

Consumer Reports Subaru

phuzaxeman

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice... now only if they can get more sales! They need to inject some excitement into their marketing...

I know what your saying. Subaru has some nice drivers cars but they dont seem to market them as such. Buyers that dont dig around would never know.

I think if the Leg.Gt was marketed as a performance car and compared to other so called drivers cars sales would improve. Most of their ads are dull.

they got rid of the ad company that had Lance Armstrong as their main US spokesman. We haven't seen anything else memorable since, except for the awful Tribeca commercials with 'Dust in the Wind' playing

There is certainly nothing about their ads that says "A4 eater" or "3-Series killer". That, IMO, is what they are missing.

+zillions

It seems like they're going after that market, but afraid to tell the world. Sure, they're not quite there yet, but there's also an average $5k-$10k difference in price.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

+zillions

It seems like they're going after that market, but afraid to tell the world. Sure, they're not quite there yet, but there's also an average $5k-$10k difference in price.

I hear you and very much agree. They dont exploit this at all. I dont know why.:icon_frow

• 2 weeks later...
Subuar has always been more of a word of mouth type of company as far as selling it's vehicles. If they want to be a seller of large numbers of cars then they would have to do a better job of advertising and more types of vehicles. Personally that's one of the things I like about subaru's, they like the underdog.

Subuar has always been more of a word of mouth type of company as far as selling it's vehicles. If they want to be a seller of large numbers of cars then they would have to do a better job of advertising and more types of vehicles. Personally that's one of the things I like about subaru's, they like the underdog.

In a way I agree, but if they were more successful selling cars to the general public, they could afford to offer more options to enthusiasts like us.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a feeling that Toyota is going to shake things up and start a move in a different direction.

I hope not in the same appearance direction. My car already looks too much like a Camry from behind! :icon_bigg

I think the Tribeca is a great SUV. It just doesn't look like one. :icon_frow

Why do people buy cars? Sure there's reliability, performance, but when it comes down to it most Americans buy a car because it looks good. Subaru needs to make good looking cars- not distinctive ones (and certainly not ones that look like Edsels!)

Just my 2 cents.

tom

tom :)

I wonder if this means the end to the Saab 92x?

It's already dead.

Seeing how Toyota and GM worked together on the Matrix/Vibe, I would hate to see the Forester turned into a re-badged Rav4. There's something about Subaru being somewhat of a rare brand that attracted me to them in the first place.

I highly doubt the Forester will be replaced by a rebadged Rav-4, it's a great vehicle and everyone knows it. Probably the best in its class.

I have a feeling Toyota wants to use their AWD technology.

Nah, Toyota already has AWD technology. They probably want more production capacity. Of course, they may want AWD production capacity. Maybe the next Corolla will be AWD again.

tom

tom :)

I believe Toyota is just working to become an even larger corporation. My reference to Toyota changing Subaru is in reference to advertising and dealership mentality/service. I very highly doubt Toyota will take to many traits from Subaru. A move to take away brand image and water down Subaru would convolute the relationship and would possibly lose Subaru's new found market share.

I feel Toyota will only work to build Subaru's weaknesses into strengths.

Toyota has the strongest dealer plan in the business. They require alot of their dealers, but who can argue? They sell a ton of cars and they don't have to give them away. Heck, Toyota even talked about raising prices as a way to help GM and Ford so as to protect the industry as a whole.

• 5 weeks later...

I find Subaru's marketing strategy a lot like Alfa Romeo's from the seventies (probably the fifties) to the nineties (when they left the US market). Alfa was also a driver's car. They never advertised; they were pretty much word-of-mouth. The only time I remember an Alfa ad on TV was when they introduced their automatic transmission model (yes, they did not have automatic until the early eighties, for the jaded Americans). That ad was so bizzare that if there hadn't been a car in the picture, you wouldn't know WHAT they were selling. I keep waiting for Subaru to capitalize on getting the Gold Safety award from the Insurance Institute. VW and Ford have had newspaper and TV ads since the beginning of December. To be honest, I love the cars, but they seem an awful lot like Alfa (BTW, I bought my first Subaru in 98 because it was the only car I test drove that FELT like my Alfa; I have to say, the reliability is MUCH BETTER, though)!

I remember reading that Subaru hired the director of Alfa Romeo Design; I hope they didn't also hire the director of Alfa Romeo (US) Marketing!

Subaru got Matsushita to develop that MP3 head unit ... and their cost on it has got to be nearly identical to the non-MP3 version ... it should have simply replaced the non-MP3 version in all vehicles it fits in, IMHO. It probably costs them more to make the two different versions.

Archived