LegacyGT.com

Metal flakes in oil after new OEM block

How long should one expect to see metal flakes in oil after a new OEM block? I expect there would be some for the 1st few oil changes. I don't recall seeing much during the last oil change, but last night there was a silvery shimmer in the oil, I don't even recall seeing any before.

I pulled the intercooler and found very small amounts of silver metal inside as well. Original motor spun a bearing, maybe the intercooler wasn't cleaned properly and it's leftover? Oil pan wasn't replaced either so maybe contaminated from the pan?

Turbo isn't making a strange noises, could it be the turbo still going bad?

Have about 3000 miles since the new block was installed. 3 oil changes.

What is the normal when it comes to metal in oil on a new build, is this common practice to have metal in oil for 1st few changes then it goes away? I have a hard time seeing it goes away 100%

Hoping not to find out I just didn't spend all this $$$ to be looking at another motor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Look up Blackstone Labs and follow their procedure for sending in an oil sample for analysis.

Was the oil cooler replaced? It is notoriously impossible to clean %100 and will trap then release metal contaminants. Sometimes the turbo is damaged after a spun bearing as well.

Basically anything the oil touches needs to be thoroughly cleaned (if possible) or better yet, replaced.

The infamuos banjo bolt filters also become clogged and create oil starvation issues.

Look up Blackstone Labs and follow their procedure for sending in an oil sample for analysis.

Was the oil cooler replaced? It is notoriously impossible to clean %100 and will trap then release metal contaminants. Sometimes the turbo is damaged after a spun bearing as well.

Basically anything the oil touches needs to be thoroughly cleaned (if possible) or better yet, replaced.

The infamuos banjo bolt filters also become clogged and create oil starvation issues.

I replaced the original turbo with a OEM vf52, deleted the factory oil cooler, banjo bolts have been removed since day 1. I already plan on sending them a sample to get analyzed, just hoping to get some helpful information sooner than waiting as I hear it usually takes 3-4 weeks for results.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Typical new engine, The first oil and filter change come after 20 minutes of run time after the first start up. Then at 150 miles of driving, then after 500 miles, then after a 1000 miles I may have done the next oil and filter change after 1500 miles going to synthetic oil.

It may be listed in my click here link in my sig.

IMO you'll want the have the oil cooler installed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Was block replaced due to blown turbo? What about heads?

I went through 3 Turbos on my stock block and blew my 4th 750 miles into my new block... Turns out metal was lodged in the heads - new heads and 2nd new short block - 10K with no issues!!!

Issue is you need to get all the metal out - typically it's in the oil passages in the block - so new shortblock is an 80 - 90% solution - but not always....