LegacyGT.com

Work BS

Dishwasher

The other day I found myself in a "mandatory" 3 hour training seminar at work. After about 5 minutes I realized that this seminar was going to primarily consist of basic email and phone etiquette practices. I've been doing my job for a long time, and it's clear that if I hadn't figured out email and phone etiquette by now in my career, I should probably just be let go. After a few minutes I grabbed my stuff, and just walked out.

Since then I have received compliments from 3 people for having the courage to do that, and 0 backlash from anyone above me. It was the first time that I had done something like that, and I'm glad I did. I don't condone people walking out of meetings willy nilly, but I am starting to realize that it's hard to argue with someone who has analyzed what their time is worth to their employer, and makes an effort to utilize it effectively.

Does anyone else deal with bs at work like this, and how do you deal with it? There's an alarming lack of resources online for people to discuss how they deal with job situations. Maybe this thread can provide a resource for those of us trying to improve our careers, or resolve workplace situations, and for some of the, ahem, more experienced, professionals amongst us to pass their wisdom on to a younger generation.

Brought to you by Pfizer

The other day I found myself in a "mandatory" 3 hour training seminar at work. After about 5 minutes I realized that this seminar was going to primarily consist of basic email and phone etiquette practices. I've been doing my job for a long time, and it's clear that if I hadn't figured out email and phone etiquette by now in my career, I should probably just be let go. After a few minutes I grabbed my stuff, and just walked out.

Since then I have received compliments from 3 people for having the courage to do that, and 0 backlash from anyone above me. It was the first time that I had done something like that, and I'm glad I did. I don't condone people walking out of meetings willy nilly, but I am starting to realize that it's hard to argue with someone who has analyzed what their time is worth to their employer, and makes an effort to utilize it effectively.

Does anyone else deal with bs at work like this, and how do you deal with it? There's an alarming lack of resources online for people to discuss how they deal with job situations. Maybe this thread can provide a resource for those of us trying to improve our careers, or resolve workplace situations, and for some of the, ahem, more experienced, professionals amongst us to pass their wisdom on to a younger generation.

Disherwasher be like:

GiddyLargeBittern-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

I've had two meetings with my boss since I walked out on mandatory training. In neither one did we discuss me walking out of mandatory training, but instead complimented me on other things I've done.

There is no logic in this place.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Dave Barry said it best on his list of "16 things it took me 50 years to learn" and that was this:

If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved and will never achieve its full potential, that one word would be "meetings."

Curious, is this a new company for you?

I'm really happy that right now, I don't deal with hardly any BS from the people within my company. Customers, yes. But now I'm working for a really small company and things are pretty laid back. I work from home. I have 3 effective bosses (one manager and two owners). In the year since I was hired/trained, I've seen one of the owners once. Otherwise they make it clear that they trust that I'm doing my job and not goofing off.

Other than feeling a little cooped up at times, it's the happiest I've ever been at work. And that's really saying something considering that I'm doing Tech Support, and I've otherwise always worked in Industrial Sales. I miss being in front of customers and selling, but I love knowing I'm trusted and appreciated.

Bullshit meetings happen very infrequently in my job, usually only once or twice per year. I almost never see of have to interact with a supervisor unless I choose to.

That hasn’t prevented me from getting in trouble with HR recently. I told a new guy he was bad at his job, because he was, and then jumped his shit for having no desire to improve his piss poor performance. Spent a good solid 10 hours pointing out his lack of motivation, knowledge, and competence. Evidently such frank discussions about job performance are not appreciated by shit bags, so he quit, made an HR complaint, and is probably suing the Railroad. ******* little troll didn’t know where he was, or how to use a radio (among other things) but he can figure out a telephone and how to call HR and hire a lawyer.

Something wreaks of bullshit.

Also about 8 years ago I got in trouble for pointing out that some mandatory training was the stupidest and most useless waste of my time to that point on the Railroad. That got me a talking to and threat of termination. I then wrote a letter detailing this idiocy, and it quickly went away and the manager involved wouldn’t even make eye contact with me after that. Turns out expressing an opinion that mandatory training is dumb, but still participating per management instructions is well within my rights as an employee.

Curious, is this a new company for you?

I'm really happy that right now, I don't deal with hardly any BS from the people within my company. Customers, yes. But now I'm working for a really small company and things are pretty laid back. I work from home. I have 3 effective bosses (one manager and two owners). In the year since I was hired/trained, I've seen one of the owners once. Otherwise they make it clear that they trust that I'm doing my job and not goofing off.

Other than feeling a little cooped up at times, it's the happiest I've ever been at work. And that's really saying something considering that I'm doing Tech Support, and I've otherwise always worked in Industrial Sales. I miss being in front of customers and selling, but I love knowing I'm trusted and appreciated.

It sort of is. I’ve been here for about a year and a half. I recently received a bonus and pay raise based on my performance so I assume they like me.

It is the best insurance company that I’ve worked for (out of 3), mostly because they have a manageable work load, which allows me to focus on my files instead of spending my day putting fires out, and running around like a chicken with my head cut off.

Additionally they leave me with a loose leash, and trust that I’m doing my job. My previous employer was a large personal lines carrier, and there I was frequently micromanaged, and got into trouble for violating policy even though it did not affect claim outcomes in any conceivable way. I did not like it there.

There is no quicker way to kill morale than by micromanaging someone who has an untenable workload.

Brought to you by Pfizer

There is no quicker way to kill morale than by micromanaging someone who has an untenable workload.

This. I left a job of 14 yrs last May for this exact reason. I couldn't be the bot that they wanted us to be. I very much enjoy my new position and even with a substantial pay cut and loss of 5 weeks vacation do not regret my move one bit. Money will come back as will the vacation time. Your sanity is priceless.

I’m in my career for the retirement and the fact I can leave work at work. At this point I willingly use their own operating rules against the company to make me more money and reduce the amount of work I do.

For example they’re obsessed with fuel conservation. We have horsepower per ton limitations and throttle limitations. If my orders say I can use notch 6, I will only use 4 or 5. Get to where I’m going without enough time to do shit, make them burn another crew start. If they complain I’ll point out I’m compliant with their fuel conservation efforts and point out that the dispatcher stopped me to wait for other traffic “x” number of times. I intentionally use less throttle on EMD locomotives because the morons who came up with this policy do not understand 2 stroke medium speed Diesel engines. Without sufficient exhaust gas velocity achieved in notch 7-8 and sometimes 6 at full loading, the turbocharger stays clutched into the crankshaft to make positive boost. This parasitic drag burns more fuel, even though less tractive effort per gallon is being produced. So I make sure to burn as much fuel as possible while ensuring that I hit overtime. They want to be stupid and run a shifty Railroad I’m here to help. Even the 4 stroke GE’s are not optimized to run low throttle settings. Those engines are designed to give the best power for fuel burned at full throttle.

I will also no longer offer suggestions to expedite operations when I have work or mechanical issues on line. Following what Ft. Worth dispatching has to say makes me more money on OT, and they’ve screwed me enough times that I enjoy opportunities to screw them back when there’s nothing they can do about it. I arrived here after arguing with a few of them and being overruled into doing things the stupid way. Now they get no help from me at all. As long as it’s not unsafe or in violation of operational rules, I’ll do their dumb shit plan as slowly as possible and let them pay me $60/hr or so to do it.

Eventually this flavor of the year will change as the current crop of management gets a clue. Then they’ll move up or move on, and the new ones will reinvent the wheel and the cycle of stupidity will begin anew.

I’m in my career for the retirement and the fact I can leave work at work. At this point I willingly use their own operating rules against the company to make me more money and reduce the amount of work I do.

For example they’re obsessed with fuel conservation. We have horsepower per ton limitations and throttle limitations. If my orders say I can use notch 6, I will only use 4 or 5. Get to where I’m going without enough time to do shit, make them burn another crew start. If they complain I’ll point out I’m compliant with their fuel conservation efforts and point out that the dispatcher stopped me to wait for other traffic “x” number of times. I intentionally use less throttle on EMD locomotives because the morons who came up with this policy do not understand 2 stroke medium speed Diesel engines. Without sufficient exhaust gas velocity achieved in notch 7-8 and sometimes 6 at full loading, the turbocharger stays clutched into the crankshaft to make positive boost. This parasitic drag burns more fuel, even though less tractive effort per gallon is being produced. So I make sure to burn as much fuel as possible while ensuring that I hit overtime. They want to be stupid and run a shifty Railroad I’m here to help. Even the 4 stroke GE’s are not optimized to run low throttle settings. Those engines are designed to give the best power for fuel burned at full throttle.

I will also no longer offer suggestions to expedite operations when I have work or mechanical issues on line. Following what Ft. Worth dispatching has to say makes me more money on OT, and they’ve screwed me enough times that I enjoy opportunities to screw them back when there’s nothing they can do about it. I arrived here after arguing with a few of them and being overruled into doing things the stupid way. Now they get no help from me at all. As long as it’s not unsafe or in violation of operational rules, I’ll do their dumb shit plan as slowly as possible and let them pay me $60/hr or so to do it.

Eventually this flavor of the year will change as the current crop of management gets a clue. Then they’ll move up or move on, and the new ones will reinvent the wheel and the cycle of stupidity will begin anew.

Penguin, as usual, you raise a lot of interesting points, and bring a lot of insight. Seems like yet another example where micromanagement does more harm than good.

It sounds like you’re more competent then management, do you see yourself in one of those positions in the future or are you happier where you’re at?

Brought to you by Pfizer

BS exists everywhere.

Recently, I put in for a position with my organization. It was a lateral move that I'd been interested in for some time, and was recently vacated by the current occupant retiring. It's a supervisory position, arguably the most complex in our organization, directly supervising 14 employees with at least 8 different job descriptions, and indirectly supervising ~ 600 volunteers in an administrative capacity (the volunteers are operationally supervised in the areas where they work). The position is also responsible for our recruiting, hiring and training of new employees as well as ongoing training.

I've been with the organization for 23 years, and a supervisor for almost 19 years. My 'avocation' is training, and I have more experience in that area than anyone in our entire organization. I'm the only current supervisor with prior experience supervising a diverse work force of this nature... most of our other supervisory positions deal with 8-10 employees all doing the same job.

They picked the 6 year employee, with less than 9 months as a supervisor to do the job...

I'm pretty sure the manager for this position wanted someone he could intimidate, which isn't me... :lol: I'm outspoken, and call BS when I see it, though I'm never insubordinate about it. I've also called out another group he manages for their utter inabiliity to properly handle basic job functions. I wrote one of them up once for a failure that created an immediate and serious safety issue. They told me I was right, and disciplined the employee, but told me to butt out 'cause it wasn't my business... :lol:

Another example (also this week)...

Last fall, one of our junior supervisors was whining because he had to work graves (we bid shifts by senority). We all told him to suck it up... we'd all done our time in the barrel, and we knew a retirement was a couple months away that would move him up the list. Instead, he complained to management, and they implemented a mandatory shift rotation scheme. I pointed out their new plan created serious gaps in supervisory coverage and was told to shut up and like it.

This week, they asked me to change my schedule for the remaining two months of this rotation period to cover one of the gaps I had pointed out in January... I'm fighting that now. Not sure if I'll prevail...

Asshats are everywhere, and they have an unfailing talent for promoting into management, where they don't have to display any actual job talent, but are happy to tell everyone how good they were.

Penguin, as usual, you raise a lot of interesting points, and bring a lot of insight. Seems like yet another example where micromanagement does more harm than good.

It sounds like you’re more competent then management, do you see yourself in one of those positions in the future or are you happier where you’re at?

I’ve considered it, but given the toxic nature of the management culture of this company on the operations side of the house I don’t see it happening. Plus front line supervisors (where I would start as a Road Foreman of Engines) is a thankless job of your guys mostly hating you, and upper management pissing on you while making you do shady shit to your guys. Advancement cures some of these ills, but involves frequent relocation. Not real excited about any of those prospects to be honest.

Edited by Penguin

I’ve considered it, but given the toxic nature of the management culture of this company on the operations side of the house I don’t see it happening. Plus front line supervisors (where I would start as a Road Foreman of Engines) is a thankless job of your guys mostly hating you, and upper management pissing on you while making you do shady shit to your guys. Advancement cures some of these ills, but involves frequent relocation. Not real excited about any of those prospects to be honest.

Being a line level supervisor has been the sweet spot for me, but a big part of that is the difference between public and private sectors. The 'middle managers' above me have the worst job, IMHO, experiencing more of what you're talking about. Years ago, I tested for further promotion, but it never happened and now that I'm a few years from retirement, I'm very happy to be where I'm at.

My job is to make sure the work gets done where the rubber meets the road, and I'm mostly left alone, because I get it done. More than once I've been told to 'modify' a subordinate's evaluation because it didn't meet the perception of the managers. I've always told them that my evaluation stands, and offered to attach their supplement, but no one has ever taken me up on that opportunity. :p

Usually only incompetent ineptness ends up as management or in an instructional role. People that are very good at their job are usually too valuable in that exact position and very difficult to replace.

A SMART management person (contradiction in terms?) will keep great workers where they can make THEM look the best and try to take as much credit for the good work as they possibly can.

So I've been wrenching for about 13 years now between 2 independent shops. I had healthcare and benefits at first shop, I left there due to hostile work environment. I have no benefits, healthcare, etc from current shop but I've really honed my skill the last 4 1/2 years. I bust my ass and dont shy away from hard work. I asked for OT pay once I realized that I'm supposed to get it and boss said no, to summarize. He threatened to cut my hours blah blah blah to which I replied with he's not allowed to do that. I have a shit ton of ammo in texts because he's not as smart as he likes to believe. I like everyone I work with, I can leave my tools wherever and they dont get touched. I'm not one to call the state or anything like that but I can't get over not receiving what is lawfully mine. I graduated HS with my boss so I know him well. He always steps in shit and comes out smelling like roses. I know I could drag his ass across a courtroom but is it all really worth it? The job has a lot of perks but I've always given it 110% and they know it and I just can't let it go even though he gave me a raise this week to try to shut me up.

My work ethic and being a quick learner will take me anywhere but I'm trying to find the right shop, if I do decide to leave. My boss and his sister (who I've also known since HS) consider me the best tech and have even asked if I'd one day run the shop, which is something I know I can do. My attitude has been pretty shitty lately because of the OT pay but I'm diagnosing and knocking cars out in under billed time with no comebacks so I dont let it affect my work. Honestly, I've probably rambled more than i should and dont normally discuss this type of stuff but I'm at a crossroads and could use input. If you've read this far, thank you and I hope you have some valuable insight to share.

Agreed. There are soooo many employers looking for employees that take pride in their work. I started out wrenching 20 yrs ago as my career and now it's my hobby. I tried a few shops and found more money in other fields.

Don't be afraid to make a move, apprehensive yes, only due to the unknown. Use your work ethic and skill set to see what else is out there. You may find that you don't work as hard, get paid more with full benefits and really enjoy ALL aspects of your career.

Good luck.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

So I've been wrenching for about 13 years now between 2 independent shops. I had healthcare and benefits at first shop, I left there due to hostile work environment. I have no benefits, healthcare, etc from current shop but I've really honed my skill the last 4 1/2 years. I bust my ass and dont shy away from hard work. I asked for OT pay once I realized that I'm supposed to get it and boss said no, to summarize. He threatened to cut my hours blah blah blah to which I replied with he's not allowed to do that. I have a shit ton of ammo in texts because he's not as smart as he likes to believe. I like everyone I work with, I can leave my tools wherever and they dont get touched. I'm not one to call the state or anything like that but I can't get over not receiving what is lawfully mine. I graduated HS with my boss so I know him well. He always steps in shit and comes out smelling like roses. I know I could drag his ass across a courtroom but is it all really worth it? The job has a lot of perks but I've always given it 110% and they know it and I just can't let it go even though he gave me a raise this week to try to shut me up.

My work ethic and being a quick learner will take me anywhere but I'm trying to find the right shop, if I do decide to leave. My boss and his sister (who I've also known since HS) consider me the best tech and have even asked if I'd one day run the shop, which is something I know I can do. My attitude has been pretty shitty lately because of the OT pay but I'm diagnosing and knocking cars out in under billed time with no comebacks so I dont let it affect my work. Honestly, I've probably rambled more than i should and dont normally discuss this type of stuff but I'm at a crossroads and could use input. If you've read this far, thank you and I hope you have some valuable insight to share.

Others have suggested new employment, and I think that’s the very least you should do. If I were in your position though I would start looking at spaces to make your own shop. I don’t know your financial situation, but if you can try to save up some cash then I would. Clearly you have a passion for this field, and someone who’s got that kind of drive would make an excellent entrepreneur. It’s the hardest thing you’ll ever do, but it would also be one of the most rewarding. That’s just my 2 cents, and I’m not a business owner so 2 cents is probably all it’s worth.

Brought to you by Pfizer

This sounds to me like you're far better than the job. My son-in-law had that as a chef. They took advantage of him because he was too much in a comfort zone, and quite frankly, a bit scared to make the move. I finally talked him into it and he's now making almost $20G more per year, actually has benefits (that the other job kept promising but never delivered), and has people that are thankful he's there and respect his skills and abilities.

I agree with you starting your own shop, even if you start in your own garage at home. You need to be out of that environment where they are taking complete advantage of you, and you'll really flourish then. You could become one of the premier shops in your area, especially if you're always beating flat rate PLUS you know what you're doing.

This world needs people like you to open their own shop because the automotive repair industry has such a terrible (but well deserved) reputation now. If you do what you say and tell about what you do, you'll always come out ahead and you'll never be at a lack for business.

MUCH better to have one person's problems than to have a bunch of people's problems. I was in management years ago with 19 people reporting to me, and it was exactly as you say-the people reporting to me were always unhappy and talking behind my back and the upper management were always pissed at me because I wouldn't do the rotten things they wanted me to do to the people that reported to me.

Once I got out of there, I told a bunch of the people that worked for me exactly what upper management wanted me to do, and 9 people quit over the following 6 months and went to work somewhere else. Plus, they couldn't get anyone to actually fill the position I resigned from.

I am in sales and I'm responsible for ME and ME alone. I have numbers to hit and I hit them. I don't worry about if anyone else hits their numbers. Life in work is so much better when you only are required to look out for yourself and not a bunch of people.