LegacyGT.com

Shift shaft seal

KRM

I've done some searching with mixed information on the correct part number of the seal for the shift shaft on my 05 lgt. Mine is leaking badly. And I'm confident that I can fix this. If anyone has done this and has the number for it or anything else that is a "do it while I'm in there" kind of thing needed, thank you for your help.

I got a replacement seal since I thought about doing it with my center differential, but chickened out. I would have been really mad if I made things worse when mine wasn't too bad, especially since you have to break open the transmission it looks like. I think I have the right seal, but I'd hate to give you the wrong part number, never hurts to ask Subaru.

Anyway, my main reason for posting is just to let you know it kind of looks like a PITA. It looks like you have to remove the tail end of the transmission, like i did to replace the center differential. It's not hard to do, but it just made me uncomfortable using a chisel to break it free after removing the bolts.

briansmobile1 removes the seal in this vid

I'll actually enjoy the challenge. Then again, it is leaking enough to cover the entire end of it in gear oil. And thank you for the video. It really doesn't seem like too terrible of a job. I'll get some pictures when I get underneath and update here

You're right, it's not too bad or a job to be honest, the hardest part was breaking the seal as mentioned earlier.

I think the thing that bothered me most was waiting 24 hours for the permatex gear oil rtv to fully cure when this is my only car. Probably didn't have to wait that long, probably could've used a different product, but I didn't want to take any chances.

*one more thing, since this is basically the same process as replacing the center diff. I don't know if there are any other good tips here. I didn't have any problem with the roll pin in the shifter like brian did, maybe because mine as been done before. Just make sure to pop the center pin out first, and then it's easy. Biggest problem I had was using too small of a punch, and it getting stuck hard in the pin

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/legacy-2-5gt-center-differential-bearing-swap-204445.html

Edited by apexi

Contacted the okc Subaru dealer today. Being that I'm located 2+hrs away from any Subaru parts counter. They are mailing it to me for $7.50..win for me.

Now to find the time to get this done with my conflicting schedule and life

Correct part number for the 5mt shift shafts seal- 806718100