LegacyGT.com

burning smell from under hood

Upon returning home this morning, I was smelling something like a burning smell. When I got home I saw what looked like light steam or smoke. I opened the hood and found that the down pipe right behind the turbo was smoking. It's an Ividia catted down pipe. The temp gauge read normal. I hooked up the access port and the temp read 190. I'm not sure what the normal operation temp of the engine is. There are no codes logged. Any ideas as to what to check for or what the problem may be?

Check your coolant hose for your turbo. I had the same thing happen. If it has an OEM hose clamp on it they stretch over time and when pressure is built up it will spray coolant right at the turbo and drip onto your exhaust. Get a 5/16 hose clamp that you can tighten up with a screwdriver. It's probably a good idea to replace the rest of the hose clamps with newer ones if you're having this issue. It's an easy fix. You'll just have to let the rest of the coolant burn of the exhaust or spray it down to wash away the coolant. Edited by MaDDraGoN07SpecB

I've gone over the car and do not see anything out of the ordinary except it was a quart low on oil. No sign of coolant or oil leaks and the CV boots are in tack. I took it out just a little while ago and it is running hot. From the Accessport i see temps climbing to 190+ but I don't hear the fan coming on. Seems as if the exhaust is super hot and causing the bell of the down pipe to heat up.

YNANSB for sure... j/k ....190 degrees is not high, thats normal operating temp. What was the highest reported on the AP? How are you determining the exhaust is getting very hot? IR thermometer? Do you still have an egt? If so see how it looks on your AP. The bellmouth will get hot and take skin if you let it. The cat is close to the bellmouth on an invidia DP so there will be a lot of heat there. I’d do a very close inspection with a mirror and flashlight to make sure something didn’t end up where its not easy to see on that hot surface and cook off. Is the car running rough or is the mil on? Edited by DaveWaters