LegacyGT.com

2010 LGT-Notchy shifting 6mt

Had this posted in the trans forum and someone suggested that I might get more results posting here. 130k. No grinding. Same notchy shifting that it has always had. I do not want to do a Spec or Sti change over. Too involved and the parts will be used and very expensive. Is there anyway to improve this horrible cable shifter? Running a cocktail of Motul and redline.

The cocktails are bad for the transmission and has been proven with oil analysis. Most use those when the transmission has a bad synchro and it used as a band aid instead of rebuilding the transmission. The transmission is going to be always notch and just embrace it. The best I have gotten mine to shift is with the Subaru ExtraMT 75w80 that came in the new WRX 6MT and the Legacy/Outback/Crosstrek/Forester 2014 up 6MT from the factory.

FYI the prior owner of my Legacy GT put in the uncle scotty's cocktail. My transmission was grinding in reverse. I swap it out after 8k miles with the ExtraMT and improved shifting and fix the grinding. I have also used stock fluid and MotulGear 300.

Lots of things to help with feel at the lever (but not with engagement) - the perrin shift stop and shifter bushing (there are a number of versions of that) help a bunch, as does the STi short shifter unit (though it's a little spendy). Fluid isn't going to do a whole lot, unless you have a bad synchro (as indicated above) and are trying to work around it (wrx crowd used to use Redline lightweight shockproof for that) - I've been running Motul Gear 300 and the bits I mention and am pretty happy with the shifting performance.

i think as far as shifter feel goes, the perrin brass bushing is the biggest improvement, though i'd say that improvement was to make the shifter feels less gummy and more mechanical whcih some may percieve as notchy. the shifter stop certainly helps with banging that first 1-2 shift or making the nearly impossible downshift into 1st, but other than that it will have no effect... have you done the damper delete? I saw a noticeable difference in high speed shifting and down shifting, though it's not going to affect the feel of the shifter per say.... i have had the STI STS since i had the car tho so any effect i saw may be different with you car

Archived